Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of setting up a siri proxy server for Ireland

• 28-12-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

I am looking at the newly release app spire which legally allows you to download the siri program but requires you to connect to a siri proxy server in order for you to complete you commands.

I am thinking of setting one up for Irish people and wonder would there be much interest in this from you guys and what kind of price would you be willing to pay. Will certainly be looking for beta testers but mainly people who know what they are doing.

The bigboss repo is down, buy you can download spire from here and install it with iFile.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_Towtpxuem-ZWUyM2Q4ZDgtNzc1Yi00MDkxLTkzYjYtZTI4ZjczMTI1YzFh&hl=en_US

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sounds good to me. If I knew how to set one up, I'd do it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ! Hitman

kjl wrote: »
    I am looking at the newly release app spire which legally allows you to download the siri program but requires you to connect to a siri proxy server in order for you to complete you commands.

I am thinking of setting one up for Irish people and wonder would there be much interest in this from you guys and what kind of price would you be willing to pay. Will certainly be looking for beta testers but mainly people who know what they are doing.

The bigboss repo is down, buy you can download spire from here and install it with iFile.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_Towtpxuem-ZWUyM2Q4ZDgtNzc1Yi00MDkxLTkzYjYtZTI4ZjczMTI1YzFh&hl=en_US

Do it man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I would be very interested in this idea. I'm sure it would spark interest in a lot more people too. Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Fundit.ie is worth pitching your idea on too, it's a Crowd Funding website. I reckon you'll get lots of financial support there too.

PS I'd be interested inbeta testing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Count me in as a beta tester, great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

So I'll let you all know my progress

have the server up and running, the 4s can talk to the server and keeps it working however the iphone 4 can talk to the server, but the server doesn't give it a proper response despite the fact that it has the 4s keys, so few little bugs to work out.

This is all just a local server too, there may be problems when I buy external space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

kjl wrote: »
    So I'll let you all know my progress

have the server up and running, the 4s can talk to the server and keeps it working however the iphone 4 can talk to the server, but the server doesn't give it a proper response despite the fact that it has the 4s keys, so few little bugs to work out.

This is all just a local server too, there may be problems when I buy external space.
    In theory if we all bought some free hosting and set it up with the right keys, etc., could we all have our own private server? I remember setting up my own server space for cabbage texter a few years back and worked without a hitch, would this be along the same lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd be interested, but you'd need access to a few 4s's for the Auth keys. It seems like you can get away with around 5 users per key but as more of these crop up I'd imagine Apple will be monitoring it failry closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You also need to be careful, if you were doing it free, you'll probably in the long term get a cease and desist letter from Apple. If you're doing it for profit, it could potentially hurt you a lot.

Having said that, I'd be definitely up for it. I've no plans to change from my 4 until the 5 comes along, the 4s was too wishy washy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i#d give it a go aswell

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    I'd be interested, but you'd need access to a few 4s's for the Auth keys. It seems like you can get away with around 5 users per key but as more of these crop up I'd imagine Apple will be monitoring it failry closely.

Your phone generates a new key everyday, you can get away with one, but it needs to make a least on request to the server per day.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    In theory if we all bought some free hosting and set it up with the right keys, etc., could we all have our own private server? I remember setting up my own server space for cabbage texter a few years back and worked without a hitch, would this be along the same lines?

The plan is to buy an Ireland based VPS and set it up as a proxy server. The server software runs on Ubuntu, currently its running on my local network having it on a VPS will allow full access to every port including 443 which it's going to run on.

Currently I have it working on the 4s and the 4, but not through Spire. I had to use the H1siri program which is not a legal. This is down to a bug in the server, there are workarounds, but they are messy and is giving me serious issues when I try use it from an external ip address, hence why you haven't seen any other people providing proxy servers yet.

The server code needs to be updated and until that is done I can't go any further, but I will keep you guys posted, fix should come about in a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

COUNT ME IN AS WELL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

This would be excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just did a jb and installed spire on my iPhone 4, so I'd be interested in what you're trying to do if you can get it up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Using a 3rd party proxy now for a few days, working 100% so far on an iPhone 4.

Siri is pretty disappointing though. It's understanding of what I'm saying is average and I only use it to mess with it not much else.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

gpf101 wrote: »
    Using a 3rd party proxy now for a few days, working 100% so far on an iPhone 4.

Siri is pretty disappointing though. It's understanding of what I'm saying is average and I only use it to mess with it not much else.

You paying for the proxy? Jailbreaknation released a list of 3rd party proxies, but so far I've had no joy being able to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

brillent idea !, count me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I have my iPad 1 running spire! I have a proxy entered that I got on google but Siri is just saying I cannot answer that right now so the Irish server would be brilliant!

Is that all it will take spire to work is the Irish proxy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Great idea

Anyone has a fast Proxy server to share? :D

• Advertisement

Quick update for you guys

please post any questions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Very Impressive so Far

Very Good idea and would be interested in this as well

Keep up the good work..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Great job thanks for your time! Ps lads don't forget the thanks button on kji
    Post!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

an irish spire server would be nice. im after spending days online trying everything and have got nothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Same here, looking for 1, if u need anyone to test let me know.

Anyone with a working server that can Pm the server, greatly appreciated.

So here is a slight issue I am having, maybe one of you can solve it for me.

Ok so basically in order for the server to work I need to run at least one Siri command from my iPhone 4s everyday, however in order for it to be picked up by the proxy the dns of my iphone has to be changed to the server IP, this is not an issue when I am WiFi as I can change it in the settings, but here when I am on 3g I can't seem to find a way to do this. This is a problem as I go back to work in a few days, and my job has me travelling a lot and I don't always have access to WiFi.

There are two possible solutions.

1. I figure out how to change to dns server

or

2. I would be willing to give free access to the server to anyone with a 4s who would be willing to share their keys with the server. This of course would only be beneficial if they have a 4 which they want to use siri on. I would want to take on maybe 5 people for this role, so any volunteers would be great.

The server itself can handle multiple keys and switching them up would help keep the server going.

The server I am setting up is running with a 200mb connection up and down to the web and is based in Ireland so latency should not be an issue.

No ETA yet, but Ill keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

this would be amazing , im getting SIRIOUSLY frustrated trying to get one of the public proxys to work... all full and will be for a lot of time..

my advice is , try and keep your one on the hush hush and dont publicly post the info on this board, maybe just email to certain members ... would gladly donate if this turned out to work well!!

keep up the good work man!

Video wrote: »
    this would be amazing , im getting SIRIOUSLY frustrated trying to get one of the public proxys to work... all full and will be for a lot of time..

my advice is , try and keep your one on the hush hush and dont publicly post the info on this board, maybe just email to certain members ... would gladly donate if this turned out to work well!!

In fairness this board is not like that one bit everyone around here helps each other out that's what we do and why boards.ie as a whole is so successful!!

The Irish proxy will not be like the uk USA etc and be seriously over loaded when the op get the full proxy up and running everything should be great but as others said they have being running Siri on the iPhone 4 100%
    I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

Great idea man! Im in for beta testing also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

fox007 wrote: »
    Video wrote: »

In fairness this board is not like that one bit everyone around here helps each other out that's what we do and why boards.ie as a whole is so successful!!

The Irish proxy will not be like the uk USA etc and be seriously over loaded when the op get the full proxy up and running everything should be great but as others said they have being running Siri on the iPhone 4 100%
    I
    +1 totally agree if it caught wind on the web you would be bombarded with people looking for the server address

Advertisement