Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of setting up a siri proxy server for Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

kjl wrote: »
    So here is a slight issue I am having, maybe one of you can solve it for me.

Ok so basically in order for the server to work I need to run at least one Siri command from my iPhone 4s everyday, however in order for it to be picked up by the proxy the dns of my iphone has to be changed to the server IP, this is not an issue when I am WiFi as I can change it in the settings, but here when I am on 3g I can't seem to find a way to do this. This is a problem as I go back to work in a few days, and my job has me travelling a lot and I don't always have access to WiFi.

There are two possible solutions.

1. I figure out how to change to dns server

or

2. I would be willing to give free access to the server to anyone with a 4s who would be willing to share their keys with the server. This of course would only be beneficial if they have a 4 which they want to use siri on. I would want to take on maybe 5 people for this role, so any volunteers would be great.

The server itself can handle multiple keys and switching them up would help keep the server going.
    I
    The server I am setting up is running with a 200mb connection up and down to the web and is based in Ireland so latency should not be an issue.

No ETA yet, but Ill keep you updated.

Count me in tell me what you need and how to get the key. I have a 4s and want to run Siri on my iPad one!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

apple should just release it.. they know peeps wont stop trying to hack it and now that they have, they should just give in.. id say they will wait till the hype about the 4s slows down and sales calm down a bit , then they will release it to older devices:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd love to help test it. I've only a 4 I'm afraid, so no keys to share, but will help out how I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I'll throw my hat in for beta testing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OK, I have a test server ready and looking for beta testers. Test server is only a rubbish vps so may be a little slow, but working just fine when I use it on my own.

For the first round of testers I really would only want major contributes to the forum (i.e the likes of guil) or anyone with a 4s and another device they wish to use Siri with.

Also the people testing need to be familiar with editing plists on their iPhone (either via iFile or via ssh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

OK, I have a test server ready and looking for beta testers. Test server is only a rubbish vps so may be a little slow, but working just fine when I use it on my own.

For the first round of testers I really would only want major contributes to the forum (i.e the likes of guil) or anyone with a 4s and another device they wish to use Siri with.

Also the people testing need to be familiar with editing plists on their iPhone (either via iFile or via ssh)

Go for guil. You need someone that knows the in and outs of the iPhone like tip said editing the plist and using ssh or ifile.

I'm not sure if there are adequate tutorials on YouTube about them
    They might come in handy.

Count me in I have a 4s and I want to use Siri on the iPad 1 already installed spire just need a working proxy.I know my way around ifile etc too and I have a mac lets know what I can do to help!! Great work keep it up

I have an iPhone 4 with Spire ready to go. iFile and plists are no problem, but the only thing i lack is a 4S :p

OK, I am going to post details of what you have to do to the plist file

open this
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.assistant.plist

<key>Accounts</Key>
    <dict>
    <key>123-123-123-123</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Ace Host</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>Assistant Identifier</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>Speech Identifier</key>
    <string></string>

So add the lines in red just under the third <dict> in the file and save, if this is not set up correctly it wont work

After this is changed you will require 2 things from me

1. the server address which you put into the setting->spire
    2. a cert which will validate the server on you phone, you can open the file from an email so I will email both these to you.

to add a 4s, you install the same cert on your 4s and then change your dns under wifi setting to that of the new server

Do we PM you for the files.

• Advertisement

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Do we PM you for the files.

no, this just enables the proxy to work

@bertie4evr you didn't set up the file correctly

Fixed that now. Thanks, it works great.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Fixed that now. Thanks, it works great.

ok, but beta testing means you need to update this forum of any error or it being slow etc.

It was working well save for some dictation errors now It's getting stuck on the purple rotating orb.

Working fine again now.

is it possible for me to get in on this? i dont have a 4s though :/:(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you need anyone else? I'm on a 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Same here, iphone 4 and lots of spare time!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

if its ever possible could i get in on this i have a ip4 ready to go..
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

PM'd you earlier, but I'd love a chance to try this out too like everyone else on here. Could you send me on the additional info, and I'll update here regularly?

• Advertisement

I have 3 testers at the moment, so going to see how that works out, The only other testers I am going to let in will be 4s owners. Mainly because I am leaving for work on Tuesday and wont be able to connect to the server everyday to give away the keys due to living out of a hotel and not having wifi.

Also some issues are arising when two people make a request at the same time, causes the server to halt for a while, sometimes it comes back on, sometimes it doesn't. I've had to restart it twice now. but not a massive issue as I will check on it daily.

server is down, going to try and fix it in the morning, may need to reissue certs

server is down, going to try and fix it in the morning, may need to reissue certs

Ok thanks let me know when it back up I will try it out then.

It's working fine now. Must have been restarted.

Just installed on my iPad 1 its connecting to the server and talking back very quick I have to say.But my the screen is just staying black on the iPad the siri logo vanishes and the whole screen remans black but siri is still running.That problem seemed to fix it self nowand all is working as it should I will put up a video on it in a while.

When I installed the cert on my iPhone 4s siri will not work.I have removed the cert rebooted the iPhone and all is working anyone else have any trouble on the 4s with the cert?

im curious... do you have to get new keys every 24 hours from the people that do have the 4s? or does it keep working on the same keys as long as you keep using it??? my friend has a 4s and im considering getting the key off of him

but there is hardly any point if it will only work for 24 hours then i have to get the phone off him again to keep using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very interested in trying this. I am using an iPhone 4

fox007 wrote: »
    When I installed the cert on my iPhone 4s siri will not work.I have removed the cert rebooted the iPhone and all is working anyone else have any trouble on the 4s with the cert?

hang on that's not possible, you just installed the cert? you didn't change the dns?

• Advertisement

Sometimes when Siri didn't hear what I said it says sorry James I didn't get that. I assume James is your name. I read that Siri learns its users voice over time and was wondering if several people sharing one iPhone 4S ticket will confuse it. Is the user data stored on the phone or on Apples servers?

Also, has anyone on a iPhone 4 gotten the raise and speak option to work?

Advertisement