Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor and her problems

Options
  • 28-12-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have Bipolar Disorder. Recently I replied to a letter which appeared in my local paper. The first time I have ever done something like that.

The author of the letter complained about the coverage Sinead got when interviewed by John Murray on RTE1 radio a couple of weeks ago. The author thought Sinead was getting too much media coverage and all her antics were for media exposure.

Though what annoyed me more in the letter was that the author referred to Bipolar as a "another fancy name for depression."

In my letter I defended Sinead. After searching on the web I discovered on www.sineadoconnor.com that Sinead believes she was mis-diagnosed with Bipolar. But admits she does still suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts.

Now with Sinead back in the news again over another failed marriage, I am now thinking should I have wrote the letter to my local paper?

With all the antics of Sinead over the years: priestess on the Late Late; ripping up a photo of the Pope; celibate then a lesbian then..., etc - I just don't know what to make of her anymore. In some ways I feel sorry for her, at the same time concerned. Hope she looks after herself.

What do you think?

BTW I liked her earlier music - have her first release on LP. Not really into her latest music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

I have to say I feel very much the same as you do. I think she had a hard time with her mother and the fact that she died before anything was resolved. I remember when she first got famous and she slagged off U2 even though they helped her on her way. It seems to me that she got into the habit of her behavior as a rebelious teenager which has carried on to this day. I am the same age as Sinead, and I can understand her, but I sometimes wish she would tone things down and maybe grow up abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

I feel she displays many of the "classic" bipolar symptoms but have no idea if it is really bipolar or if it is just having mental health problems in the eye of the media. Also her "issues" with family etc. are quite obviously playing a part in the these behaviours although I am unsure if some of her behaviour is now attention seeking albeit unconciously. I'm sure if you have your own mental health issues OP you know it matters not what the label is and it would be a whole lot better for Sinead to be left to cope in peace but unfortunately she is caught on the treadmill of fame :(

Nothing wrong with writing the letter, media are horribly unsympathetic to those who are famous and in crisis. Remember Britney Spears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sorry folks, I really don't think it's appropriate or decent to be speculating on whether or not she has a mental illness.

thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement