Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat passing away very suddenly

• 28-12-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all. I came home after a night away to find my 7 year old cat dead on the floor. She looked like she was sleeping and just had a small bit of blood around her nose.

I brought my 2 cats over from the states 15 months ago at great expense so she was in good health. And the last few days has been in great form. I have left them alone for a few days before with plenty of food, water & heat before.

She was only 7 but was quite overweight. I am just concerned about the blood on her nose. I brought her to the vet where she will be cremated.

Just devastated and in shock to be honest. Did not expect to find her like that and in full view. I can only hope she died peacefully :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

should also mention my cats are strictly indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

posy, I'm so sorry you came home to that. :( Unpleasant as it may seem, you could ask the vet to do an autopsy before cremation? It might give you some closure...

posy, I'm so sorry you came home to that. :( Unpleasant as it may seem, you could ask the vet to do an autopsy before cremation? It might give you some closure...

Thanks. I may. I just hope that she died in her sleep. Now I have to look after her "sister" cause she is finding it hard too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

That's just awful! :( In a strange way, if you at least knew she was sick or had some sort of illness you have time to come to terms with it, but to just find her dead... It's very upsetting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It happens sadly .... my own favourite cat ( a cute little tortie ) curled up beside me on the bed and when I woke up she was in the same position but dead - she too was an indoor cat and had been in perfect health.
    No explanation :(

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    It happens sadly .... my own favourite cat ( a cute little tortie ) curled up beside me on the bed and when I woke up she was in the same position but dead - she too was an indoor cat and had been in perfect health.
    No explanation :(

This seemed to have happened. What is so strange is she didn't hide away as cats do to die. It is like she lay down and died. No matter around her apart from that small bit of blood. Looks like she went peacefully warm and loved.

She had a hateful relationship with my other cat. But my other cat will not stop crying. Poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

sorry to hear this..

could your cat have run into the wall or something?

I know our cat used to run fast over tiled floors, then slide head first into the wall then just sit there, dazed.

CamperMan wrote: »
    sorry to hear this..

could your cat have run into the wall or something?

I know our cat used to run fast over tiled floors, then slide head first into the wall then just sit there, dazed.

No she was laid out near an open suitcase full of clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So sorry to hear about your cat, I can only imagine how awful it is.
    Have you any lilys in the house? Do I read it right that she would have been alone for a few days? It could be anything really, had she any history of cardiac problems?

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about your cat, I can only imagine how awful it is.
    Have you any lilys in the house? Do I read it right that she would have been alone for a few days? It could be anything really, had she any history of cardiac problems?

No flowers in house and nothing was disturbed. Both my cats were alone for a few days but had been left many times before and there was clean litter, water, heat and food (they are/were very spoiled).

She flew from the states 15 months ago so no history of cardiac problems BUT she was very overweight. She just was quite young :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What an awful shock for you.Im so sorry for ya and after all the effort getting them to Ireland and settled etc. Going by the nose bleed it sounds like it may have been an aneurysm or embolism of some kind, which shows no symptoms until it actually bursts. Console yourself with the fact that this is one of the "best" ways to go if there can be a best way if you know what i mean.It wasnt a lingering, long drawn out horrible disease. This sounds like it wouldve happened even if you were in the same room at the time.

If you need a definitive answer, post mortem is the way to go.UCD do it for free but are closed until Jan 5th so you will pay through your own vet.Some people find this a difficult thing to do though.Very sorry for your loss :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

pigman2000 wrote: »

My initial thought was that, but the OP said her cats are indoors so this isnt a factor.

anniehoo wrote: »
    My initial thought was that, but the OP said her cats are indoors so this isnt a factor.

Yes and I do not drive myself at all so there would be none inside the apartment in any case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

My first cat died a day after a seizure. He had a fit which I saw and that caused his nose to bloody from hitting the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If you have a gas appliance in the house it might be carbon monoxide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If you have a gas appliance in the house it might be carbon monoxide.

I would think that unlikely given the OP's other cat remains well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

So sorry for your loss Posy, god that is heartbreaking!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Im sorry for your loss

i lost my Tilly 14 months ago-He didnt die but disappeared and never came back.Griefs a horrible thing and it does get better in time

xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I am so sorry for your loss. Make sure and chat to a good friend who knows just how much your cat meant to you, ignore those that don't understand the grief of loosing a pet. Grief is grief regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Sorry for your loss... Losing is pet is so so hard and so sad. RIP little kitty xxxxxx

Thanks everyone. I am just glad she seemed to die peacefully warm and loved. And got to experience Ireland for 15 months. Not many cats are Atlantic jet setters x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

So sorry to hear about your cat, we had to put my 9 year old to sleep on wednesday. he got sick a few months ago, but he was on tablets and doing well til last monday.
    we had time to come to terms with it, so I just cant imagine how upsetting it must have been for you for your cat to pass away so suddenly. is there anything around they could have eaten, like onions. certain things are toxic to cats.

SarahBM wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about your cat, we had to put my 9 year old to sleep on wednesday. he got sick a few months ago, but he was on tablets and doing well til last monday.
    we had time to come to terms with it, so I just cant imagine how upsetting it must have been for you for your cat to pass away so suddenly. is there anything around they could have eaten, like onions. certain things are toxic to cats.

Sorry to hear about your kitty :(

I don't think it was anything she ate. My other cat seems fine. I suppose I will never know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I guess its just a mystery then. So sorry again. at least you have your other kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi OP
    Sorry to hear about your little furbaby RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm so sorry to hear about your pet : you must have really loved them both very much to bring them all the way from the states. Don't torment yourself over the weight; it could have been many things. As someone else said; s/he went peacefully in her home with her cat friend/ favourite enemy close by & it sounds as thou s/he had a long and happy life. You did your best & gave lots of love & care; I'd say your pet really knew how lucky it was.
    RIP most loved international pussycat.

Advertisement