Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120 foot wave possible or bull

Options
  • 28-12-2011 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just seen this article and wondered what everyone thought. The surfer claims to be about to try and surf a 120 foot wave off Ireland. To the best of my knowledge this isnt possible. I am no expert but there seems to be a PR war between self promoted big wave surfers to see who can come up with media headlines.

.http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/top-surfer-finds-biggest-swell-533668.html

I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Could be right i don't know what the absolute limits of a breaking wave.

“One of the biggest concerns we would have is that someone inexperienced would turn up and try to get fame and glory,”

Trying to get fame and glory, Hilarious :D Their real fear is getting one of these big waves and the camera not recording them :p

What would Eddie do?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Its all marketing and spin.
    It doesnt matter, once its that size its all down to the bull **** and all that goes with it. 60, 70 80 100 ft, its all down to how the pic was taken and whos calling it.

Its all about the publicity and to be the first to say they broke the 100ft mark, but what difference does it make? Its ****ing huge no matter how they wanna call it.
    Knee high, waist hight, chest high, head high, o/h, doh, big. Once its big its never mattered to me what size it was. Its big, you have to deal with it, what difference is a foot either way gonna make to you when its landing on your head?
    (unless of course, your of the poo stance brigade, where ever inch counts....)

It is all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's Christmas there is nothing else happening to report so this makes the press any other day talking about possibly surfing big waves wouldn't make the press - it's all bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bannerboyz

Yeah the line about fame and glory did seem strange. Not sure what an inexperienced surfer would be doing out in 20foot surf never mind 120foot even if it did exsist. They will be concerned about people taking their fame and glory. Did these guys not get rescued themselves a few years ago by the coast guard coast. Wonder who picked up the bill for that.

It just seems that Fergal and Micky Smith have some class about what they do and the rest of the scene involves surfers who are more concerned with PR than surfing. Ireland has gained alot of international respect recently but these guys and movies like waveriders turn us into a laughing stock internationally. Its easy to impress beginners in Ireland

likes of ferg are indeed a class act, he is respected all about the place and doesn't need to be bigging himself up the whole time. lets his surfing do the talking. he was one of the few who was paddling in at mullaghmore this month while the PR lads were getting towed with their camera crews, who's pictures were in most of the papers? not ferg's unfortunately.

waveriders was muck no one can argue otherwise.
    richie fitzgerald was bigging it up again on twitter today like it was a top notch film or something.
    you'd be sick of these guy's press releases just being copied and pasted into the papers sometimes. if you didn't surf yourself you wouldn't know any better and just assume it was all true.

not sure why that all bothers me but it does :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I really liked Waveriders to be honest, the part I always get bored of is when they go for the massive waves, for some reason I don;t really care. I find Aileens and Rileys interesting because lets face it, it's very unique to have waves like that surrounded by an amazing piece of scenery
    I liked the history of Freeth and the Malloys, Slater, Britton talking about surfing.

The Smith duo are certainly class, Dark Side of the Lens is such a great video and you really get how passionate Fergal is in interviews.

haven't seen that dark side film will check out sounds good
    might be an idea for a thread with surf films and brief review etc. must be loads of films we'd love to see but haven';t heard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Would it need an tsunami to produce this?

wouldn't think so, there's 90ft been surfed in portugal off storms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

About a week ago, there was a report that a buoy moored about 100 km off the Donegal coast has measured a new record wave height - 20.4 metres (66.9 feet). The previous record was 20.2 metres.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Lads got into trouble back in 2006and wrote off a jet ski in the process

But this is of more interest, Aileens too big to tow, no one could launch off local harbours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvUO9I2gXM

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

promethius wrote: »
    likes of ferg are indeed a class act, he is respected all about the place and doesn't need to be bigging himself up the whole time. lets his surfing do the talking. he was one of the few who was paddling in at mullaghmore this month while the PR lads were getting towed with their camera crews, who's pictures were in most of the papers? not ferg's unfortunately.

waveriders was muck no one can argue otherwise.
    richie fitzgerald was bigging it up again on twitter today like it was a top notch film or something.
    you'd be sick of these guy's press releases just being copied and pasted into the papers sometimes. if you didn't surf yourself you wouldn't know any better and just assume it was all true.

not sure why that all bothers me but it does :D

watching now, it's muck alright.

it's irritating me now

glad it's not just me! i was starting to wonder.

i watched it too tonight, was thinking it wasn't as bad as i thought first time in cinema but still poor. the jumping around from hawaii and cally to ireland doesn't make for a good story, fair enough the irish links are there but it's very drawn out when what most people want to see is irish surfing since it's an irish film.
    the hyped up new footage they had at the end was ok but just that.

some of the surfing was poor in the irish waters, bar when kelly managed to get shacked when it didn't even look like there was enough room to thread a needle! and of course maccarthy and co paddling into aileens, some towing as well but my god, respect to the paddlers.

i liked a lot of the irish parts of it but the other country stuff has already been done to death in other widely available films. i think riding giants is the go to movie as far as surfing documentaries go. top notch

i'm disappointed waveriders wasn't the film it could have been, given the funding, the time it is in surfing and some of the exciting talent out there.

i watched it too tonight, was thinking it wasn't as bad as i thought first time in cinema but still poor. the jumping around from hawaii and cally to ireland doesn't make for a good story, fair enough the irish links are there but it's very drawn out when what most people want to see is irish surfing since it's an irish film.

some of the surfing was poor in the irish waters, bar when kelly managed to get shacked when it didn't even look like there was enough room to thread a needle! and of course maccarthy and co paddling into aileens, some towing as well but my god, respect to the paddlers.

i liked a lot of the irish parts of it but the other country stuff has already been done to death in other widely available films. i think riding giants is the go to movie as far as surfing documentaries go. top notch

i'm disappointed waveriders wasn't the film it could have been, given the funding, the time it is in surfing and some of the exciting talent out there.

The Irish American connection was drawn out and boring, seemed like they were making a film from nothing, even the Kelly Slater bit I thought was poor. Too much of this soul surfer blah blah blah crap,

2/10 for me it just irritated the **** out of me,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i think the biggest problem with it was it seemed like it wanted to be Riding Giants the way they covered all the stuff about Hawaii and that. I would have rathered they just focused pn the development of surfing in Ireland and not bother with the (pretty tenuous) links to Hawaii. It's not awful but watched a bit there tonight and it felt pretty cringey to be honest, might throw riding giants on again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Really want to see The Far Shore and Silver Surfari, must order them one day.

i'm gonna throw this out here, if you're looking for a good irish based surf film, seafever could be the one for you.

have to take it on its merits, it's low budget and doesn't have fancy camera angles and some of it is a bit blurry and def needs more cameras in water.

but overall i really enjoyed it, there's a certain warmth to it, the interviewees are very engaging and it doesn't suffer too much from the self promoting types or PR spin.

its all set in ireland bar a very short detour to cornwall and has some very interesting characters, easkey britton is a very relaxed, warm and articulate woman and there's a cool south african shaper too.

it does the aileens tow in stuff which i'm not too fond of but it's mercifully short. the surfers aren't world class so don't be expecting kelly etc, it's mostly solid irish surfers and nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

def one to check out it got me stoked for a surf :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i'm gonna throw this out here, if you're looking for a good irish based surf film, seafever could be the one for you.

have to take it on its merits, it's low budget and doesn't have fancy camera angles and some of it is a bit blurry and def needs more cameras in water.

but overall i really enjoyed it, there's a certain warmth to it, the interviewees are very engaging and it doesn't suffer too much from the self promoting types or PR spin.

its all set in ireland bar a very short detour to cornwall and has some very interesting characters, easkey britton is a very relaxed, warm and articulate woman and there's a cool south african shaper too.

it does the aileens tow in stuff which i'm not too fond of but it's mercifully short. the surfers aren't world class so don't be expecting kelly etc, it's mostly solid irish surfers and nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

def one to check out it got me stoked for a surf :D

Where would one go about finding it then? :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where would one go about finding it then? :)

i started a new thread in the surfing forum which has the details dude and a link to the website where it can be bought. i'm hoping that thread gets some interest and i've a feeling you could be a man to help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bannerboyz

How can anyone forget the irish section of Litmus which is still a great watch today. Dark Side of the Lens was great but so was all of Mr Smiths movies with small budgets. Waveriders was OK maybe for a main stream audience who wouldnt know better (trying not to be too critical) but was a wasted opportunity. They were reported to have had over a million to do it. It jumps arround alot and was used by a small group of surfers to promote themselves and some sort of soul/big wave image. If Micky had that budget a film we could have been proud off for years to come could have been made and those truely pushing the limits could have been rewarded.

One of the main 'stars' came down here to the cliffs for his first time to show the Americans the waves. They towed when it was too small he got washed up on the rocks and didnt get any waves but a bit of editing was done and it looked a bit different in the movie.

bannerboyz wrote: »

One of the main 'stars' came down here to the cliffs for his first time to show the Americans the waves. They towed when it was too small he got washed up on the rocks and didnt get any waves but a bit of editing was done and it looked a bit different in the movie.

ah go on and spill the beans who was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

bannerboyz wrote: »

ah go on and spill the beans who was it!
    Either richie or gabe id imagine

i was thinking it would be ritchie, wouldn't be good for his image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

Mikey's "Power of Three" film is worth watching, a little bit arty but not too much

Advertisement