Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classified Website Development with Wordpress

Options
  • 28-12-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

A frequent question I'm sure but I have been looking to develop a classifieds website with a business partner and had up to now been in negotiations with a web development company about developing it using Wordpress. On some recent expert advice, we now have some concerns about the capabilities of Wordpress with regard to plugins/expandability etc. and to that end I'm looking for some opinions and am open to some development quotes using other platforms if possible. Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I doubt if providing quotes is allowed (unless via PM) but you haven't made any reference to what you want within your classifieds site anyhow. Is it something like adverts.ie or more like ebay in the sense that people also pay for the goods up front?

What was the issue raised with the "expert advice" that you received (I'm not a wordpress expert)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

What are your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Wordpress = Free content management System with a plethora of plugins from everything to managing ebay auctions to managing classifieds for example:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/another-wordpress-classifieds-plugin/

The pros of wordpress is that licensing is quite minimal, the downsides are mainly that it needs to be kept patched and up to date and is far from a scalable enterprise solution...IMO... I might add.

I'm guessing that there is no budget within your project for the development of a more bespoke enterprise level solution. You'd probably be able to set up a sample classifieds site in about an afternoons worth of work, but any bespoke you'd need will be put on the ling finger. Your quote from the developer could have been anything from 500 - 2K...just guessing as the install would probably need a nice new skin to differentiate it from a default install of the software the need for the extra budget is to probably change the look and feel of the site and maybe hook it up to a payment gateway.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a load of threads on classifieds/listing sites in the Design, Website Review and Entrepreneurial & Business Management. Use the search and have a good read.

You'll get plugins that work with WordPress but there are major problems with scalability of the database(s) - see posts by jmcc. Briefly, it's not a solution if things become in any way big, so you need to either start with an expensive bespoke solution or take the pain of having to transfer the whole shebang at a later stage, again expensive.

Think very carefully and do a lot of research before you commit to this. Directory sites, in the main, have been in decline since the late 90's as the search engines fulfill the requirements much better and the price at which would be advertisers can work their own web presence is low (the web is really good at removing the middlemen). Most of the very small few successful directory sites either have an existing brand, have exploited a niche well and/or have plenty of financial backing. Also you must get the formula and model right which is no cakewalk.

Advertisement