Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic restaurant

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able to recommend a good restaurant in Galway City with a reasonable early bird menu? I'm bringing my boyfriend to Galway for our anniversary for a short break so want somewhere a little special and romantic.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are some suggestions in the sticky but for early romantic stuff I think Cooke's on Abbeygate street. See the value menu on the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭angelmusicgirl

Around 25/30e a person. European, French or Italian preferably. Taste and a good sized portion is important too.

Will have a look at Cooke's. Thank you! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Vina Mara maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

+1 for Cookes, a la carte is a better menu though. Their steak is damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Oscars (Excellent Fish)
    Cava (Spanish Tapas and Lively)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nownowtubs

Da Tang Noodle House beside the Dail Bar is really nice. Christmas special was €19.50 for three courses and tea/coffee. Not sure about after Christmas but they seem to be good with meal deals, great selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nownowtubs wrote: »
    Da Tang Noodle House beside the Dail Bar is really nice. Christmas special was €19.50 for three courses and tea/coffee. Not sure about after Christmas but they seem to be good with meal deals, great selection too.

I agree it's great ... not sure about romantic, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Gamelles on Quay street is lovely and great value. Artisan on Quay street also lovely. Gourmet tart out in Salthill is lovely too..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

There is also a new Spanish tapas restaurant in Wood Quay "Lunares" that might be worth atry. Food wise it seems like the real deal. (The romance part might be in the eye of the beholder - no accounting for taste in romance I reckon)*

*of course I used to swear by Superior Macs in Newcastle because the head waiter was close personal friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There is also a new Spanish tapas restaurant in Wood Quay "Lunares" that might be worth atry. Food wise it seems like the real deal. (The romance part might be in the eye of the beholder - no accounting for taste in romance I reckon)*

[SIZE="1"]
    *of course I used to swear by Superior Macs in Newcastle because the head waiter was close personal friend.[/SIZE]

I saw that place the other day. Looks cheery and happy! Anyone eaten there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Restaurants are not romantic; people are. That said, you are probably looking for someplace cosy but not too loud.

Cookes ticks the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

detoxkid wrote: »
    Gamelles on Quay street is lovely and great value. Artisan on Quay street also lovely. Gourmet tart out in Salthill is lovely too..

Gourmet Tart is like eating in a dentists surgery, the place is sterile and soulless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Gambas wrote: »
    Gourmet Tart is like eating in a dentists surgery, the place is sterile and soulless.

I agree, lovely food, but horrible, noisy, bare setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Spanish place in Woodyuay never seems to be open when Im passing. No menu outside either just stuff written on either side of the door. Maybe I just go by at the wrong times.
    Hope the floors are soundproof and the windows double glazed as well or you wont exactly get an authentic Spanish experience.

Nothing against the lads downstairs but the sound (as opposed to the music/musicians) that they pump out the window leaves a lot to be desired.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Acoshla wrote: »
    I agree, lovely food, but horrible, noisy, bare setting.

It improves in the evening... They lower the lights and there is not so much of the screaming children factor.... However that said it's not exactly romantic regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

detoxkid wrote: »

As a regular of Artisan, I have to say, tho I hate to say it, it has disimproved over the past few months. The last five times we have eaten there, I have been quite disappointed. It's still nice, but no longer fantastic, and the last steak I ate there was very 'meh'. They seem to have moved their focus away from the food, and onto the decor. Bad idea IMO. The good food will keep people coming back, the duck egg blue and white colour scheme, not so much. Their early bird is good value tho, and the setting is still nice. Some decent restaurants have opened in the last year tho, and Artisan need to up their game again in the food stakes to compete.

I also agree that the Gourmet Tart is far from a romantic setting, good food, good value, but very sterile and noisy. Ironically, they need to focus MORE on the decor there:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

As a regular of Artisan, I have to say, tho I hate to say it, it has disimproved over the past few months. The last five times we have eaten there, I have been quite disappointed. It's still nice, but no longer fantastic, and the last steak I ate there was very 'meh'. They seem to have moved their focus away from the food, and onto the decor. Bad idea IMO. The good food will keep people coming back, the duck egg blue and white colour scheme, not so much. Their early bird is good value tho, and the setting is still nice. Some decent restaurants have opened in the last year tho, and Artisan need to up their game again in the food stakes to compete.

I completely agree, their prices are a little ridiculous for the portions too, I don't mind small portions but to charge an extra 2-3 euro for a side to a main that already costs 25 is just greedy.

Such a pity too, it used to be my favourite restaurant in Galway.

I recommend Oscars or Rouge.

Rouge is very cheap (€15 for amuse bouches & main) but good quality and the atmosphere is lovely, all stone, wood and candlelight, but it can be extremely busy on weekends. Even mid-week reservations are mandatory.

Oscars is friendly, intimate and good quality food, had salmon cerviche there a while ago and it was lovely and not too pricey. 3 courses would be around 30-50 euro and they do an early-bird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

I'd choose Oscars - I think it's one of the most romantic and nicest restaurants in Galway.

Kai is pretty nice, but a little bit alternative...so not sure if I'd describe it as romantic.

Rouge is lovely, great atmosphere, great wine, great service and very plush surroundings. Food is good, live music - probably my favourite place to go in Galway at the moment. Great value, very cheap.

Gemelles can be hit or miss. I wouldn't rate it as overly romantic or special. V run of the mill.

I went to Lunares for lunch today - I think they're open from 12-5 and 6-10, but they were open today from 5-6. Very nice relaxed atmosphere and perfect for a date as the food is lovely. However, I don't think it'd be a push the boat out romantic sort of a place for something very special. Definitely worth checking out though. I'm not a major fan of Cava as I think that the food is only ok and while it's decorated very nicely, I'm not overly convinced that it's authentically Spanish decor. Lunares seems to have a fully Spanish staff. Very friendly and very big portions. I've found that Cava has smaller portions.

Not a fan of the Gourmet Tart company. I don't like the food and it has a café feel about it rather than a romantic restaurant feel. The coffee isn't good there either.

I don't think the Italians in Galway are that great at the moment. Da Robertas used to be great, but I think it's gone downhill. In other cities, I find Italian very romantic in general...

Anyway, I digress. I'd go to Oscars :) Vina Mara is nice and romantic too. Also the Malt House.

Advertisement