Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV Service

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this one if needed.

The mother in law is having severe problems with Sky at the mo. She was widowed 6 months ago and relies on the tv for emotional comfort. However, her sky+ box is only showing rte2 :mad::mad::mad:

When contacted, Sky insisted that there is nothing wrong as they can see a signal going to the box and have the decency to charge €100 for an engineer to come out to her.

Does the box belong to Sky or the MIL?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Mods, feel free to move this one if needed.

The mother in law is having severe problems with Sky at the mo. She was widowed 6 months ago and relies on the tv for emotional comfort. However, her sky+ box is only showing rte2 :mad::mad::mad:

When contacted, Sky insisted that there is nothing wrong as they can see a signal going to the box and have the decency to charge €100 for an engineer to come out to her.

Does the box belong to Sky or the MIL?

Any suggestions?

pull the wire (power supply) out of the back of the box , hold in the backup button and put wire back in while holding it , wait for a message to appear on screen and wait 10 minutes , should fix the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Sounds like you had the same problem.

Does this message which I'm told has appeared ( I haven't rebooted yet) , make sense to you.

" no listings available"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Sounds like you had the same problem.

Does this message which I'm told has appeared ( I haven't rebooted yet) , make sense to you.

" no listings available"

it should come up the the box is updating , ect.... parents keep gething the same problem with their box , usualy happens 1 every month or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Any update, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Does she turn the Sky box off, i.e. not leaving it on standby? This kills them apparently, according to an engineer I had out to fix my own when it was giving trouble. He replaced the box, and advised me to always leave it on, and I haven't had a single problem with it since.

The 100euro charge they have really bugs me, our Sky dish got knocked out in a storm lately and we still had to pay 100euro to fix it, at a time that was inconvenient to us, but it was that or be without service for 3 weeks and still pay for it regardless. Irksome to say the least. Anyway, I hope your mum gets sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its doesn't kill them, just stops power going to them!

What has been mentioned above is known as a HARD REBOOT. It should update the software on the box and if there isn't any other problem with your box, it should be up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Eventually, got the opportunity to go to the MIL's house today.

Took out the power lead from the sky box , hit reboot and hey presto sky miraculously returned when power returned.

What really bugs me is that Sky never mentioned this when contacted by the MIL on numerous occasions.

So much for customer care :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As with most electronic thingee's, if it isn't working, 1st port of call is always to switch it off then on again.

Works in a lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had a proble mwith sky and got India for my troubles.
    He wanted to talk me through the reset so i told him to call back.
    It still didnt solve it and he didn call back after the reset was done as arranged.

I called after 6 that day and got someone in scotland who sorted it in 2 minutes and sent me out a new card!

Even my lecturer whose Indian says wait till after 6 to get an English speaking person who can think outside the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some of the white sky+ boxes have power supply issues. The other model pace can have an issue where it gets a jam and no signal this can be caused by using the channel + and -. Never had issues with sky support dad phoned them at 6.30 xmas eve morning with no signal was on nearly an hour and they talked him through a special reset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement