Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new phone

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi goys,

I'm looking for a new phone, currently have a nokia c3 and HATE it. I'm not really a techy type person and just want a phone that I can put a nice sparkly cover on really.... only meesing haha. I'm just looking for a decent phone that isn't too hard to use and will last more than a few months so here's my criteria if anyone could make some suggestion I'd be grateful

• Budget is around 200 - dont mind going a little over if its a decent enough phone
    • I'm on meteor pay as you go but dont mind going on meteor bill pay if i'm not paying more than 30e a month as I usually topup by 20 and that does me cause everyone I know is meteor so get free call and texts
    • I dont mind what make it is or if its kepad or touch screen just as long as its not really complicated to use. only thing I dont want is one thats half touchscreen half keypad
    • I'd like a decent camera and I use my phone alot for photos
    • Id like wifi to get on fb and check emails but i could live without it not a major factor.
    Thats it really. I just dont really know where to start all the phones out at the mo seem to other be really cheap or really expensive. I just want a decent phone that will last me a good while. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe a Nokia smartphone, like the 5800? You can prob get one for less than 100 and it has a good camera.

samsung galaxy nexus, awesome phone. Can be a simple or as complicated as you want.

sold out on Meteor at the moment, but should be back in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

biko wrote: »
    Maybe a Nokia smartphone, like the 5800? You can prob get one for less than 100 and it has a good camera.

That is a very old phone.

So what if it came out 3 years ago?

It's still a great phone and had many features years ago that Apple etc are catching up to now, 2 cameras so can do face-time video calls, free world wide GPS, very good loud speakers and 8GB standard memory but can be swapped up to 16GB.

The only thing I don't like about 5800 is that it has a "plasticy" feeling, it doesn't feel as sturdy as an iphone but at less than 100 euro it's the best budget value phone I know.

Here's one for 50

BostonB, if you know of a newer phone for the same price and all those features please feel free to suggest it.

• Advertisement

Where can you get it new as the OP requested? As you said for less than 100.

Did you have a suggestion or just opinions?

I was kinda looking for a 5800 as a backup, but I'd only buy a new one as theres too many dodgy used phones around. That N8 looks hard too beat for a decent camera.

That said Symbian is poor for apps, etc. While that might not be something the OP is looking for its handy for looking at say Sky, UPC, Dublin Bikes, Buses, Trains, parking meters and things like that. Genuinely useful stuff.

But if the OP is willing to pay up to 200 and 20 a month they have their pick of any phone tbh, with the exception of the iPhone. You can get the Sony Ray or perhaps the Samsung Galaxy II when its back in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I was looking at the zte racer II in carphone warehouse earlier €69 with meteor or emobile, looked ok for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Here's two on meteor for 100 bucks might be worth looking.

Samsung Galaxy Y only has a 2mp camera but the rest of the specs are pretty decent for the price.

OrThe Galaxy Mini a little bit older than the Y but the camera is slightly better.

For a little over your budget Samsung Galaxy Ace €249

Stay away from any phone that has a Resistive touch screen they give more trouble than there worth. You'll know one when you try to use it, it'll feel plasticy and kinda flexable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Hihello

I just want to go into a shop to buy it or buy it off meteor.ie I'm not really into amazon or ebay etc. sorry should have mentioned that.

I was looking at that samsung mini and that samsung ace is 220 in carphone warehouse so might take a look at that.

I was also looking at Sony Xperis x8 reduced to 79.99 it seems a preety good deal and I have an old phone to trade in that I'd get 20e for so it would only be 59.99. I had a go of my friends and seems ok to use

or htc wildfire is another I was looking at but don't really know much about htc in terms of ease of use??

thanks for all the help

The X8 is a basic enough android. Its stuck on 2.1 and has a 3.2 camera no focus no flash.

But as a basic phone and you can live with the above its ok.

Advertisement