Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway place and road names

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Who are places name after?

Walter Macken flats in Mervue were named after the author of the same name.

Siobhan McKenna Road is named after the actress.

But who the hell was....

Dr Mannix?

Bishop O'Donnell?

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Lough Atalia was a famous Hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mannix was a bishop too iirc but I'm not sure what connection he has to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

buttermilk lane...
    prospect hill...
    dyke road... :p

can anyone shine a light on these few?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dyke Road because there is a dyke there. A dyke is a sloping wall against water.
    I suppose because of the water plant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Bishop O Donnell was Bishop of Galway in the 1800s.

Maybe he died around the time the road opened?

I think the Dr Mannix was this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Mannix

He was buddies with the Bishop of Tuam, I remember reading an article in The Tuam Herald about them:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Buttermilk Lane because the Claddagh women sold buttermilk down there.

Most of the places are fairly Googleable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Most of the places are fairly Googleable.

I better not ask about Shop Street then.

I might Google the word "Googleable" though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I better not ask about Shop Street then.

Or Quay St, Flood St, Merchants Rd, Bridge St, Nuns Island, Gaol Rd, Middle St ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

RichT wrote: »
    Lough Atalia was a famous Hun.

When I moved to Galway first I heard it called LOUGH ITALIA. as in Italia 90.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

In most Irish cities most streets are named after famous people. Why are so many in Galway named after 'their function'; Shop St, Quay St. Middle St, dyke road etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dinneenp wrote: »
    In most Irish cities most streets are named after famous people. Why are so many in Galway named after 'their function'; Shop St, Quay St. Middle St, dyke road etc.

i believe there is a victoria street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Atalia, a’tsaile, of the brine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »

While almost every town has Bridge St, Church Lane, Shop St, etc ...

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Threadneedle Road? WTF?

William Street? Williamsgate Street? William Street West?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Anyone know who the Maunsell person is that Maunsell's Road near Taylor's Hill is named after?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Threadneedle Road? WTF?
    A weak attempt to hide a genocide.

It is called Bóthar Na Mine in Irish (The Maize Road) as it was built between nowhere and nowhere during the famine by starving workmen on a famine 'relief' project who were paid with food. Map c 1847

Fuinseog wrote: »

Victoria Place

Threadneedle Road? WTF?

William Street? Williamsgate Street? William Street West?

king billy.

very often the Irish place name is different to the English. I believe threadneedle road is Bothar na Mine, which suggests it was built in famine times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

just like winetavern st and fishamble st in the pale then yeah?

antoobrien wrote: »
    just like winetavern st and fishamble st in the pale then yeah?

i don't get it. those streets refer to the trades practiced there in medieval times. a poster mentioned hat no street in Galway were named after famous people.
    Victora and William serve as reminders taht Galway was a english bastion and not the gaelic heartland it portrays itself as

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A weak attempt to hide a genocide.

It is called Bóthar Na Mine in Irish (The Maize Road) as it was built between nowhere and nowhere during the famine by starving workmen on a famine 'relief' project who were paid with food. Map c 1847

nimmos pier was also built in this period if I am not mistaken. there is more than one bothar na mine around galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was it the fish they milked?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

i don't get it. those streets refer to the trades practiced there in medieval times. a poster mentioned hat no street in Galway were named after famous people.
    Victora and William serve as reminders taht Galway was a english bastion and not the gaelic heartland it portrays itself as

What also has to be mentioned is that names change over time. For instance Middle St., was known as Back St., and where St. Pats national school is now was known as 'the Shambles'. A shambles in English was a place where butchers and other meat dealers (hence fish-shamble) plied their trade.

Many of the streets have a different meaning in Irish which does indicate the sizeable Irish-speaking population of the town at one point. In a late-nineteenth century census, the town was 1/3 monoglot Irish-speaking, 1/3 bilingual, and 1/3 monoglot English speaking. However it is ill-advised to conflate Gaelic with Irish or English with English., especially when dealing with the period of the Norman settlements and later. Many Lords spoke no English but would certainly have identified as such, such as Ulick de Burgh.

Williamsgate St. and Mainguard St. both indicate their functions as gates and fortifications in the town. Eglinton St. was created when the city walls were demolished and was named after the Lord Lieutenant of the time Lord Eglinton, as was a hotel in Salthill, and a canal at the same time.

Shop St. is so named as being where the first shops opened in the town. It is often commented on by visitors as in the UK particularily the main thoroughfare is called High St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sickeen Lane ( near Wood Quay )?

Andrea B. wrote: »

I wasnt around at the time but I presume any strange things they did with creatures from the deep was done in the Fishmarket as it was nearer the sea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Mermaids. The regular woman-top/fish-bottom type. Not the other ones that raise more philosophical questions.

nuac wrote: »
    Sickeen Lane ( near Wood Quay )?

Sickeen Lane, as I was told by a Woodquay native, is where suckeen calves were kept apparently. A suckeen calf is one still being fed by the cow, up to the age of 3 or 4 months normally.

It was also where the cows were milked, as many of the locals were dairy farmers that supplied the town with milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

ladhrann wrote: »
    Sickeen Lane, as I was told by a Woodquay native, is where suckeen calves were kept apparently. A suckeen calf is one still being fed by the cow, up to the age of 3 or 4 months normally.

It was also where the cows were milked, as many of the locals were dairy farmers that supplied the town with milk.

Thanks Ladhrann

That must be back a bit as there is notg much grazing there now.

Well up untilt the 80s, that was all grassland, as was Menlo, nobody would build on it as it was prone to flooding ;-)

Even in the 90s cattle used stray into the garden where we lived in Knocknacarra and eat Mum's daffodils!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

SJPK wrote: »
    buttermilk lane...
    prospect hill...
    dyke road... :p

can anyone shine a light on these few?

Prospect Hill - Cnoc na Radharc meaning the hill of the views/sights...
    "Radharc" also translates to "prospect".

The site logainm.ie can be useful and interesting for people wondering about the origins of place names. It gives placenames and streetnames in Irish from which the names we know now often originated from. It can give more information about towns/villages and the likes though, more than streetnames.

Advertisement