Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway place and road names

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

bobbyss wrote: »
    Excellent, thank you.

Threadneedle Road anyone? Bothair na mine I think it is in the Irish. Where did the Threadneedle come from? There is a Threadneedle Road in London too I believe. Perhaps the two are connected.

See post #17.

For the English name, I think that in looking at a map it's like a thread going through the top of Taylor's Hill (and now Kingston) and Salthill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

?Cee?view wrote: »
    See post #17.

For the English name, I think that in looking at a map it's like a thread going through the top of Taylor's Hill (and now Kingston) and Salthill
    Thread Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

See post #17.

Yeah, I had been reading it and that is why I am enquiring as it gave an Irish name for the road which bore little resemblance to the word 'Threadneedle'. I must google why Threadneedle Road is so called in London.

I would be surprised of Galway's Threadneedle was called for the reason you suggested.

I thought the names of roads in Galway were supposed to translate as literally as possible? St Mary's Road would Sraid Naomh Maire. (Do forgive my bad Irish) Do our City Fathers have a view on this? But Threadneedle Road !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yeah, I had been reading it and that is why I am enquiring as it gave an Irish name for the road which bore little resemblance to the word 'Threadneedle'. I must google why Threadneedle Road is so called in London.

I would be surprised of Galway's Threadneedle was called for the reason you suggested.

I thought the names of roads in Galway were supposed to translate as literally as possible? St Mary's Road would Sraid Naomh Maire. (Do forgive my bad Irish) Do our City Fathers have a view on this? But Threadneedle Road !!!

I'd almost argue the complete opposite. Many of the anglicized names bear little relation at all to the Irish names. I'd probably distinguish newer and older translation though.

Agree re. Threadneedle. My "theory" was really just a personal observation. I'm sure there's a much better reason, but I don't know what it is. Could be something to do with banking? The "Old Lady of Threadneedle Street" is the Bank of England.

I'd almost argue the complete opposite. Many of the anglicized names bear little relation at all to the Irish names. I'd probably distinguish newer and older translation though.

Agree re. Threadneedle. My "theory" was really just a personal observation. I'm sure there's a much better reason, but I don't know what it is. Could be something to do with banking? The "Old Lady of Threadneedle Street" is the Bank of England.

Had a quick google. Reference is made to old English word similiar to thread meaning to prosper. Three needles on shop front logos on that street where taylors (!) plied their trade. Nothing conclusive.

I think the council should have a link on their website giving all the info we are requesting. Isn't there a heritage section there? It is of great interest to me and if freely available may be of interest to others as well.

Just as a matter of interest. The last time I was in 'Roches Stores' I saw on a wall a map of old Galway city and transposed over this a more modern map of Galway city, giving at a glance where things were exactly located in realtion to today's world. For example, I do recall seeing 'Eyre Square' in old maps of Galway city. Would I have seen a gallows at one end? Which end would that have been, I am always asking myself. Taken in isolation it is difficult to make out where this gallows would have been standing exactly today. The Roches Store map answered that type of issue immediately at one look because I can see, for example, Richardson's and then a gallows beside it. Beautiful!! Is anyone familiar with these kinds of maps? I know the OSI do something like this. But I don't think they overlay one map on top of another older one-if you get my drift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Do you remember which side of Richardson's the gallows was on the map? Back in the day Paddy's Bar used to be called 'The Gallows' so just wondering if that's where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've stood tourists by the fountain, and asked them to imagine a world without paving, where the gathered crowd filled the park area down the hill, looking up towards the day's entertainment. It'd certainly be a prime spot to have a gallows in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

tricoteuses.jpg

Do you remember which side of Richardson's the gallows was on the map? Back in the day Paddy's Bar used to be called 'The Gallows' so just wondering if that's where it was.

If my memory serves me right, a gallows might have been up towards Bohermore. Maybe where TK Max is now. Thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Quick google and a look at the 1651 map shows it was around the middle of the taxi rank, I'm guessing just down from the statue.

http://galwayindependent.com/20130904/news/dealing-with-mischief-makers-S23625.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement