Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with choke and spread

Options
  • 28-12-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

i recently bought a 12g sxs shotgun with fixed chokes at full and 3/4 im wondering what cartridges should i use for pheasant, duck and pidgeon hunting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

mike91 wrote: »
    i recently bought a 12g sxs shotgun with fixed chokes at full and 3/4 im wondering what cartridges should i use for pheasant, duck and pidgeon hunting.

7's and 6's for pheasant, and 5's and 4's for duck and 7.5's for pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

thanks very much and what gram??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sika98k

It would be a good idea to have those chokes opened up to at least 1/4 and a 1/2.

30 grm in 6,s or 7,s will do you fine although you might want to up the load for the ducks.It depends on what your gun is proofed for. 7.5,s tend to be a trap carridge so 28grms is about the upper limit,fine for decoying pigeons in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

mike91 wrote: »
    thanks very much and what gram??

I usually 34 gram 7 and 36 gram 6 for pheasant. 36 gram 4 and 5 for duck, and 28 gram 7.5 for pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

34g 6s for pheshant an duck an 7 1/2 for pigeon is perfect... dont worry bout the choking of gun its perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I wouldn't bother opening the chokes as unless you get it done properly by the likes of Teague in the uk you will not know how it is going to effect the pattern. I had a tightly choked Fabarm and I am very sorry I sold it, couldn't miss with it. For pheasants I would say no more than 30g of 6 or 7 as you have a good choking, same for pigeon and 32-34g of 4-5 for ducks.

thanks very much for all the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Chokes is something I don't really understand or know if my gun has any how would i educate myself on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Chokes is something I don't really understand or know if my gun has any how would i educate myself on this

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/mediapages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=20

If your gun is cheaper, normally has fixed mod and half choke.
    More expensive models have removeable choke tubes

The above should help, really easyunderstand with pictures.

Full choke for goose in winter, modified cyl for flushing birds etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

OP if you find you patterns are too tight, you can open them up by using shells with a fibre wad rather than a plastic plaswad . as the fibre wad doesn't hold the shot togetherin a cup the fibre wadded shell will spread a bit faster giving a wider shot spread at a given distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

32 grm 6 both barrels except for fox the BBs.;)

i just bought some 34g 5 and 6's hopefully they will help

Advertisement