Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwintering Onions problem ??

Options
  • 28-12-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I planted Radar sets in November. They appeared to be doing well with about 5 or 6 inches of nice green shoots. But when I looked closer at the sets poking just above the soil they all appear to be soft, as if they are rotting away. Is this normal or should I dig them out?
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Its onion kneck rot . Botrytis allis ,i think thats how it spelt. Unfortunatly its a fungus they develop during storage and it now lives in your soil . I stand to be corrected but i believe u will have to remove them all . Do not compost them.get them away from you garden .you wont be able to grow onions in that plot for three years..
    So how were the sets stored?
    Have you many planted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks for the reply. I did some more research and found a few threads on uk allotment sites that say it is normal. The plant is using the resources of the set and a new onion will grow from it. That's not what I thought would happen.
    I had read about onion rot and how it can ruin a site so was very worried. Now I'm just confused :-)
    They came in the usual sort of pack you see for sale. I have 40 down and they are all the same which I imagine would be very bad luck if they all had rot.
    Any other opinions?

Advertisement