Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted break-in - Charlesland Wood

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,

Attempted break in today in Charlesland Wood - 4 'men' wearing hoodies tried to enter my house through the sitting room window. Neighbour disturbed them and called the Gardai. Car is registered to a home in Greystones. Expecting an update in the morning.

For those wondering, this was a mid-terrace house with neighbours home (in one case just arrived home), activated alarm and dog present. Gardai recommend upgrading security on windows (good strong locks) as was mentioned by another poster here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Any updates?

What time of the day or night did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Hi Wardie,

The Gardai went to the home of the person who owns the car and say they are satisfied with the explanation given. The driver claims that he was looking for a house number, so drove into the driveway to check. Why they needed three people to check the house number, and why they very quickly scarpered when my neighbour noticed them wasn't explained (the car drove away at speed, leaving the three other people behind who ran towards the Court on foot - not following the driver out of our road!).

I'm not really satisfied with the explanation, though the Gardai aren't too interested in following it up. I don't understand why they would all run off when noticed if they were simply checking a house number, why they all had hoods up IN THE CAR and whether or not they were actually looking to visit someone in the estate.

So, keep an eye out for unusual cars in the evening with a few lads in them - and call the Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Hi Wardie,

The Gardai went to the home of the person who owns the car and say they are satisfied with the explanation given. The driver claims that he was looking for a house number, so drove into the driveway to check. Why they needed three people to check the house number, and why they very quickly scarpered when my neighbour noticed them wasn't explained (the car drove away at speed, leaving the three other people behind who ran towards the Court on foot - not following the driver out of our road!).

I'm not really satisfied with the explanation, though the Gardai aren't too interested in following it up. I don't understand why they would all run off when noticed if they were simply checking a house number, why they all had hoods up IN THE CAR and whether or not they were actually looking to visit someone in the estate.!So, keep an eye out for unusual cars in the evening with a few lads in them

I agree, it sounds very fishy to me as well and it was just a "coincidence" that the house was unoccupied at the time.

What type of car was it so I can keep an eye out for it and let my own neighbours know as well and hope they are as good a neighbour as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

It is all a bit odd. 4 chaps to rob one small house seems fishy alright and in their own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Looks like the Bray People are reading boards.ie. A report on this incident on Page 3 of this week's edition.

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/neighbour-acts-fast-to-foil-burglary-next-door-2981083.html

Not sure the Gardaí are coming out of this very well based on that report - "However, gardaí said that they have no official report filed regarding the incident."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I know we all want the guards to arrest and charge everyone, but was the alarm actually going off in house? Was there any damage? Was there any tools found that they could have been using to gain entry?

Unfortunately, if there wasn't, then at the very most the guards could have charged them with (that would have a chance of sticking) was trespassing. In my opinion of course (and we all know what people say about them!).

The 'no official report' is a bit bizarre though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Accident

To all concerned by this incident, it was a misunderstanding. The four males were invited to a house party by one of the males cousins somewhere in the Charlesland region and went to the house they believed was the right one. They looked in the windows to see if they had the right house and knocked etc.. There was no break in damage to the windows because they weren't trying to break in. The Driver thought it was funny to drive off on them but it was a matter of fun. As FirstIn said, " 4 chaps to rob one small house seems fishy alright and in their own car." There was no report by the police because when they called to the car owners house he told them this. They were all just young,drunk and foolish not intending to make anyone fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

good to hear that they were not burglars, but the driver admitted being drunk? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Accident

Misstype sorry, shoulda said all but the driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

The driver claims that he was looking for a house number, so drove into the driveway to check.

As somebody who makes reasonably regular deliveries to Charlsland I can understand these guys going up the window or door to see if they have the right house. I find it very irritating that the developer has chosen to put the house numbers on the doors and not on the outer walls where it can be seen easily by anybody driving past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

This thread has been blow out of context over an attemped breakin which never took place. Pure speculation which has ended up in a local newspaper. Thanks "Accident" for clarifying what actually happened. This thread should now be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So we are going on the strenght of a newbie posting here and not the hear'say from the OP's neighbour? :rolleyes: Oh who to believe...

I wonder how the Bray People journalist (I use that title loosely) feels about their copy and paste article. :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Case closed. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement