Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 very slow

• 29-12-2011 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Have just used PS3 for the first time since the security scandal, downloaded some updates etc, and the thing is just soooo slow in most things it does.

Playing Gran Turismo and it can take over a minute to move between sections. It was always slow to move around the game but this is much worse. Also I can turn off the central heating as the fan is blowing out hot air loudly. Is this normal?

Also the Sony servers seem completely inadequate. Downloading games or updates takes forever.

The whole package just feels like such old technology nowadays.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony servers are really bad for downloading I found and Gran Turismo is a bit of a mess. Nothing wrong with the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

You say it takes a long time moving between sections, are these parts to do with online play or just local non-network sections?

Best thing to do would be to try a few different games to see if the problem exists on all of them. It's true though as Retr0gamer said that the online sony servers can be a bit hit and miss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Also I can turn off the central heating as the fan is blowing out hot air loudly. Is this normal?

That doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like your PS3 is overheating - the fan is there to cool it down, but should be just a very low hum - barely audible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

F1ngers wrote: »
    That doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like your PS3 is overheating - the fan is there to cool it down, but should be just a very low hum - barely audible.

It's not the slim model so presumably is louder. It usually starts up after about an hour of use and could stay on for an hour or more. It sounds louder than most PC fans.

T0mmyM wrote: »
    You say it takes a long time moving between sections, are these parts to do with online play or just local non-network sections?

Best thing to do would be to try a few different games to see if the problem exists on all of them. It's true though as Retr0gamer said that the online sony servers can be a bit hit and miss.

Seems to be when some online connection is involved, even if not necessarily playing online. I have a fast internet connection. I'll try some other games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

F1ngers wrote: »

My PS3 is a phat model and despite what people say the phat models are far from quiet. When you are playing a game the fan will speed up and be as noisy as a 360. watching films or anything else though and it's very quiet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My PS3 is a phat model and despite what people say the phat models are far from quiet. When you are playing a game the fan will speed up and be as noisy as a 360. watching films or anything else though and it's very quiet.

Agreed, but...
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    It's not the slim model so presumably is louder. It usually starts up after about an hour of use and could stay on for an hour or more. It sounds louder than most PC fans.

I had a phat too and that seems wrong. Never happened for over an hour though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Something wrong with that Retro, never had that with any of my 3 phat PS3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

whiterebel wrote: »
    Something wrong with that Retro, never had that with any of my 3 phat PS3s.

Agreed, my phat can possibly get a little louder than usual if the room is warm, game has been on for a significant period etc but never as loud as a 360 (old style).

My phat ps3 has been blowing out hot air and making ridiculous noise with about 2 years, still working though despite the heavy use it is getting.

• Advertisement

Now I can't play Gran Turismo at all. :mad: It just hangs at different points when loading.

I've tried restarting.

The fan is not blowing hard, it only does that after an hour or so of game play.

Should I just format the fcuker ?

Advertisement