Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assumptions people have made about you

• 29-12-2011 1:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

People have often said that I look like a guard. Sometimes scumbags past by me and say that guys definitly a cop?? its quite strange at times. have people ever made assumptions about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

It makes an ass of you and me you know...

..making assumptions that is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have MS, people presume I am drunk when my legs are tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

paky wrote: »
    People have often said that I look like a guard. Sometimes scumbags past by me and say that guys definitly a cop?? its quite strange at times. have people ever made assumptions about you?

It's the uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

I have a uni-brow, people think I'm a rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

paky wrote: »

You must have a big culchie head on ye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

People assume I am normal, I'm not, I am nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

People assume i am gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I got a virus last summer and it damaged my inner ear, affecting my balance. Sometimes I get vertigo bad..

I would guess that some people assume I've had a few when I keep veering to the left..

It can be quite scary and the funny thing is that not one person would pass any comment, most just pretend it didn't happen or they didn't notice!

Well I feckin notice when I veer into a wall :o

So people should never assume..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Sometimes people make the misguided assumption that I give a sh*t about their assumptions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

People assume i'm a bitch, cause apparently i look like i'm in a bad mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

-I'm innocent
    -I want to be like the person in question
    (i.e I like alternative music as a female I can't genuinely like it, must be for some fashion trend or a fella pssh come on)
    -I can't be funny but my mom says I'm cool so like yeah shut your face wasn't axing yah
    -I'm a guy (only on this thank god)
    -I have money (looking at you chuggers)
    -I smoke weed and perhaps do harder drugs, nope.
    -I am your average woman therefore I must have really low self confidence
    -I consider the thoughts and perceptions of others far too much, this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ThePower11 wrote: »
    I have a uni-brow, people think I'm a rapist.

I'm a rapist and people think I wax my unibrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

later10 wrote: »
    People assume i am gay

People used to think this all the time because I had short hair. Yes, because like a modern day Samson, my hetero-ness was in my hair and when I cut it, I got the gay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm often called a player by girls but I actually do very poorly with women. It's rather annoying really.

People assume i'm a bitch, cause apparently i look like i'm in a bad mood.

Ha! I always hated that!

"Cheer up, love. It might never happen."

"What?"

"You look like you're in a bad mood."

"This is my face in natural repose. I wasn't in a bad mood but thanks -- I sure as shit am now."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sometimes I don't take no for an answer, people think I'm a rapist

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

People I kind of know assume I'm a snobby cow, because I don't say hello when the walk past me, it's not that, I am usually away with the faries and I don't see people. People that know me box the head off me to get a hello, it works for me :D

People normally think I'm a scumbag. Jeans/combats and tshirt/hoody. Then having a beard and skin head probably doesn't help. Piercings don't seem to go down to well. Fookers.

get a cute puppy it will cancel out all of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That I'm posh.

That I'm not from Dublin.

That I am a nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One minute I'm a hippy
    Next minute I'm a goth

Doesn't matter that I don't wear clothes associated with either of the 2 groups, I have the long hair, y'see.

Oh, and because I'm not from a city I'm a potato-chewing paddy that shìtes out carrots. :pac:

Oh and only my fiances family think I'm rude for being quiet.

Not good at chit chat don't want to, you'd think id be left alone as I smile and listen
    but I've been asked to "make more of an effort"

Is this strange, I think this is really strange!
    Those who are not comfortable with silence are not comfortable with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

People assume i'm a bitchKunt, cause apparently i look like i'm in a bad mood.

Most of the time i am not but i tend to look so so idiots dont bother me with their troubles and boring words...

Larianne wrote: »
    That I'm posh.

That I am a nurse.

I'm assuming you are hot. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Assumptions is the mother of all fcuk ups.

seanybiker wrote: »
    People normally think I'm a scumbag. Jeans/combats and tshirt/hoody. Then having a beard and skin head probably doesn't help. Piercings don't seem to go down to well. Fookers.

Fit here too bar the peircings,christ i am not a nice looking guy to strangers i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups - Shakespeare

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    get a cute puppy it will cancel out all of that

If that post was directed at me. I have a tiny jack Russel already. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

People seem to think I know what im doin in in work, for some reason. It'll all go t*ts up some day soon.

• Advertisement

People assume I am gay especially when I have my cock up their ass.

saa wrote: »
    Oh and only my fiances family think I'm rude for being quiet.

Not good at chit chat don't want to, you'd think id be left alone as I smile and listen
    but I've been asked to "make more of an effort"

Is this strange, I think this is really strange!
    Those who are not comfortable with silence are not comfortable with themselves.

I was talking to a friend about this and I think it's genuinely something of a gender thing in that women are supposed to be friendly and polite and caring and are thought of as stuck up if they're not chatty, whereas a lad can be a "strong silent type."

Never strikes anyone doing the criticising that maybe their conversation is just boring.

seanybiker wrote: »
    If that post was directed at me. I have a tiny jack Russel already. Haha.
    Your sorted so, they are cute little buggers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That I'm posh.

That I am a nurse.

A lot of people with hard Dublin accents believe (and tell) anyone without a hard Dublin accent from Dublin that 'yore POSHHHHH soyaArree'.
    Gobshites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I have a weird accent (despite being Dublin born and bred (and bhuttered... :D). Most people assume I'm east European.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean you have to speak slowly around me. I've been speaking English the whole time. My accent doesn't mean that I can't understand you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I don't drink, so people assume I am boring, on medication, or an alcoholic.

I downloaded a program for someone before, so now I'm a computer genius.

Same as above, I hate the "How's the weather?" conversations. Small talk is useless. I prefer to listen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The-Rigger wrote: »
    A lot of people with hard Dublin accents believe (and tell) anyone without a hard Dublin accent from Dublin that 'yore POSHHHHH soyaArree'.
    Gobshites.

You mean criminals?

People think I'm rude because I may not have much to say at times, especially with people I don't know well.

I'm not good at small talk in work and prefer for us all to die a little in the elevator together in silence.:D

xoxyx wrote: »
    I have a weird accent (despite being Dublin born and bred (and bhuttered... :D). Most people assume I'm east European.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean you have to speak slowly around me. I've been speaking English the whole time. My accent doesn't mean that I can't understand you!!!

Oh, forgot this! I've had a lot of guys think this when I'm out. Probably coz I'm tall? I dunno..

Millicent wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend about this and I think it's genuinely something of a gender thing in that women are supposed to be friendly and polite and caring and are thought of as stuck up if they're not chatty, whereas a lad can be a "strong silent type."

Never strikes anyone doing the criticising that maybe their conversation is just boring.

Oh absolutely the men are just quiet, I don't chat to his father no mutual interests and of course that means I don't like him. I will stand my ground and make it known this is who I am, it is not something I am putting on.

Maybe its the kind of family they are as well, presentation is rather important.
    This is going to be some wedding I was making it clear how I wasnt going to be walked up the aisle because I am not owned by a man and I got back of my fellas mother oh its just a tradition, just goes to show how people don't think about why they have an issue with someone being out of the ordinary or not following "traditions" ahem the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

People assume I'm a scumbag because I like to wear tracksuit bottoms :/

People assume I'm a scumbag because I like to wear tracksuit bottoms :/

Tucked in or out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Oh, forgot this! I've had a lot of guys think this when I'm out. Probably coz I'm tall? I dunno..

Is it being tall? I'm 5ft 7 (& 1/2), so tall enough. I think it's more the lack of freckles and being blonde and my eyes are a bit slanty... Irish girls have big roundy eyes. Really, I'm a mongrel - but I can live with that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

That I'm a thanks whore. When I'm really not! I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

that i'm poor and uneducated cos i work in a shop

xoxyx wrote: »
    Is it being tall? I'm 5ft 7 (& 1/2), so tall enough. I think it's more the lack of freckles and being blonde and my eyes are a bit slanty... Irish girls have big roundy eyes. Really, I'm a mongrel - but I can live with that. :)

Well I'm 5'10, with red hair. Maybe it's my liking of dancing. Or just a way for guys to getting chatting. But its been said on quite a few occasions. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That I'm Polish and how I know that is when strangers approach and ask do I speak English. They don't half look embarrassed when they hear my bastardized Waterford/Tipp with a bit of Cork accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

charlemont wrote: »
    when they hear my bastardized Waterford/Tipp with a bit of Cork accent.

Where do you live? Waterford? Tipp? Cork?

People always assume I'm posh because of my accent.

No no i'm really not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Ya, the same as mentioned already - I'm rude/stuck up because I don't do the whole small talk thing, or the gossipy crap, or the how's Jim Bob after the oul' fall he had in the match there last Tuesday thing.

Also, everyone assumes I am way younger than I am, and treat me as such.

No one ever believes I have kids - probably to do with the above.

And everyone thinks I'm flighty, but it's just my ADD.

Oh yeah, and everyone thinks I'm posh too.
    Couldn't be further from the truth - I just have the accent due to where I grew up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

charlemont wrote: »
    That I'm Polish and how I know that is when strangers approach and ask do I speak English. They don't half look embarrassed when they hear my bastardized Waterford/Tipp with a bit of Cork accent.

Tipp doesn't have an accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MsAllybear

I can be quiet at time where i work so people assume i'm snobby, and then when i get chatting to the older fellas in work, they assume they can treat me like i'm gonna go off with them , while i'm only being friendly and chatting.

people assume i'm drunk when i'm not! I can chat laugh dance scream and have a great time without alcohol but some people just don't get this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some people think I'm bonkers.
    But I just think I'm free.
    Man, I'm just livin' my life.
    There's nothin' crazy about me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement