Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assumptions people have made about you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

oh and most people assume i'm at least 5 years younger than I am.

• Same as other people, really

- That I'm foreign and don't speak much/any English. A lot of people are really patronising about it (talking loudly and slowly) and I feel embarrassed for them.

- That I'm stuck up because I'm reserved around new people.

- That I'm posh because I have a 'posh' accent (mix of Irish and English)

- That I'm thick/ a bimbo because I'm into fashion and make-up. A lot of men (the d1ckhead ones) we meet at parties etc just ignore me and talk to my boyfriend as if I'm not even there. It drives my boyfriend insane.

- That I'm much younger than I am. People constantly talk to me like I'm a child. I've had to start being quite snappy and calling people out on it. A friend's dad in the pub the other night asked if I had a boyfriend and promised he wouldn't tell my parents. Eh, I'm 26. I've been living away from home for the last 8 years, and living with my boyfriend for the last two. I'm pretty sure my parents, who have stayed over at our flat in London many times, don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

People assume I can't make them laugh cos I'm female and are often shocked when I do. I get, "You're funny...for a girl" a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Some people think I'm bonkers.
    But I just think I'm free.
    Man, I'm just livin' my life.
    There's nothin' crazy about me.
    BONKERS!

• Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    People assume I can't make them laugh cos I'm female and are often shocked when I do. I get, "You're funny...for a girl" a lot.

I get that a lot as well. Or people don't get me for ages and think I'm weird/rude because I have a very dry sense of humour, apparently it's a more 'male' sense of humour. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

People assume that my reticence to engage in chit chat is down to shyness and a hatred of everyone. I'm not that shy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

- That I'm thick/ a bimbo because I'm into fashion and make-up. A lot of men (the d1ckhead ones) we meet at parties etc just ignore me and talk to my boyfriend as if I'm not even there. It drives my boyfriend insane.

You can't win on this. Family assume that I'm lacking in confidence because I don't "make enough of an effort" with myself. Just because I can't be arsed faffing with my hair every morning does not mean I don't take pride in my appearance. Or that I'm a lesbian for that matter. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

That I'm stuck up because I never notice the people around me, if you know me you have to say hi to me because it's odds on I'm not going to notice/see you - I'm usually daydreaming or thinking about the seemingly never ending amount of assignments I have due for college. And some people take it really personally when I don't say hi to them - I'm not stuck up, I'm just dozy!

People assume that I must want to get married and have a kazillion kids because I have a vagina. I thought I'd put them all straight but nope, Christmas saw me having to answer the same bloody questions all over again. Apparently, it's because I'm "getting on now". I'm fucking 27!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

dahat wrote: »
    Tucked in or out?

Tucked in as in tucked into my socks? No, never.

Millicent wrote: »
    People assume that I must want to get married and have a kazillion kids because I have a vagina. I thought I'd put them all straight but nope, Christmas saw me having to answer the same bloody questions all over again. Apparently, it's because I'm "getting on now". I'm fucking 27!

:eek:

I suppose this is one reason I should be glad my family have no interest in me,they'll never ask those things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Just because i have a bulge in my pants...

:eek:

I suppose this is one reason I should be glad my family have no interest in me,they'll never ask those things

If mine had any interest in me, they'd know from the 20 million times that I've said "I don't want to get married" that, eh, I don't want to get married.

Hell, I'd say half of AH even knows that I say it that often.

If mine had any interest in me, they'd know from the 20 million times that I've said "I don't want to get married" that, eh, I don't want to get married.

Hell, I'd say half of AH even knows that I say it that often.

Maybe you should come out as a lesbian then they'd give up asking if you're getting married or having children. You already have the hair for it :pac:

Maybe you should come out as a lesbian then they'd give up asking if you're getting married or having children.

They only stopped asking me was I lesbian when I got together with my boyfriend. :D I'm not sure which questions are worse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

People seem to think I'd be interested in playing Rugby Union and/or American Football because I'm a lardarse. Being a lardarse is what stops me being interested though because I wouldn't want to play in the positions the lardarses have to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

that I'm a lot younger then I am

I don't really pay attention to people I don't know who make assumptions about me, my friends how ever know who I am and well that all that matters:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Ha! I always hated that!

"Cheer up, love. It might never happen."

"What?"

"You look like you're in a bad mood."

"This is my face in natural repose. I wasn't in a bad mood but thanks -- I sure as shit am now."

:pac:

Reminds me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

That I'm Spanish / Greek / south American.

That I'm really nice and chilled out all the time and would never lose my temper or be unpleasant to anyone (I smile a lot, it's just a habit).

That I have very high level of business acumen (I generally talk a lot of bollocks).

These misconceptions usually vanish pretty quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Occasionally people assume that I am rich and intelligent. This places me in an uncomfortable position because at my core I am a vain individual who enjoys these fantasies and therefore I don't attempt to dissuade people when I notice that they have made or are making false judgements.

But soon comes the slow erosion of their favourable first impression in the face of the swelling tide of my stupidity and destitution, and my frantic attempts at covering up what now feels like my own deception, even though it was all based on their poor judgement to begin with! Curses upon them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

*That im shy-nope just dont like talking to idiots
    *That im a virgin/gay because i dont indulge in one night stands but prefer relationships
    *That im gay because i dont like football all that much
    *That im a west brit/traitor because i think the IRA were murdering scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Tipp doesn't have an accent.

That's why I put Waterford down, I grew up on the Waterford side of the county bounds. But it wouldn't really be correct to say I grew up in Waterford either.

South East Tipp, Waterford and South Kilkenny all have the same accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,626 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going from my accent, that I'm from Galway. Or Dublin.

I'm from neither and I've no idea how I can sound like I'm from BOTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

People assume I'm not aware when they tell lies. I usually am, i just think "what a flipping piece of **** they're spewing forth now".

People assume I'm not serious when it comes to my work. It Really bugs me because I work harder than most of them, my time sheets would put them to shame, and the level of quality from most of my colleagues outputs should embarass them. I'm sick of fixing broken systems that would of broke in the requirements or Design phase...But i do it because its my job, and i like to work.

People assume i'm a bit strange or too personal or provocative in conversations. They might be right, I just find most conversations so sterile and consider it a waste of life and an encounter if i dont try to talk to a person as a REAL person instead of a drone. Sometimes it allows me to meet a great person, more often,..I get reported to HR.

People assume I do lots of drugs because I've liberal views on them. I dont do any. I have only a couple of sessions of alcohol a year. Thats it.

Strangers have assumed.. an odd number of times that i want something from them, or to sh*g them, or to use them for something. Because I can be overly generous or nice. I dont, I just think we're all here on this planet so lets try make the best of it!

People assume I dont believe in god because im logical and can explain the science behind most things we encounter or discuss. I do, Infact im quite spiritual. me and the big Guy upstairs get along quite well. I do right by my morals even when its incredibly hard and I believe he appreciates my efforts. I even give him credit for our arriving here. I dont see why people think that someone reasonable/logical/scientific wouldnt believe in a infinite source being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

People think i care... or whatever, i dont even know if they do or not,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Think Im a dickhead
    Think Im Gay
    Think Im Boring
    Think Im trying to hit on them

Oh the list goes on and on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Many people, on first encountering me, assume that I'm a complete cunt.

They couldn't be more wrong. In fact I'm a bit of a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

thats it's ok to talk to me in the pub if they don't know me. **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

That I'm crazy. I've lost my family over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The idiots who constantly stop me in the street to ask if I have weed or skins. Apparently a black man with an afro has to be a weed smoker/dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gyalist wrote: »
    The idiots who constantly stop me in the street to ask if I have weed or skins. Apparently a black man with an afro has to be a weed smoker/dealer.

Soooo do you have any skins ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

People think I'm American when they first hear me unless I make an effort to sound like I'm from Dublin. Also, people in work think I know what I'm doing. More fool them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

People assume that because I don't stop to have 'nice weather we're having' type conversations that I'm just not really into making small talk. Nope, the truth is I'm a stuck up prick and consider most people to be beneath me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

When I first came to Ireland I was often asked if I was a professional basketball player or a doctor. I used to tell those who asked if I played basketball that I was here to train to be a jockey. As I'm just over 2m tall I'd always laugh at the seriously confused looks on their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

People assume that I must have low self esteem cos I'm a chubster! I don't,i'm very happy with myself, I just love food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tucked in as in tucked into my socks? No, never.

Glad to hear that,no way back from trakkies tucked in i tell ya

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not a stoner, I just speak very slowly. Also, that's not an American accent I'm putting on either, if I wasn't concentrating on trying to make these dam words audible you wouldn't know what the heck I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

That I am English.

I had been living in Ireland for about 8 years when a new guy started at work that was from Australia. I said I had lived there and he said 'what year?' - presuming it was a gap year or something. I replied '27 bl00dy years!!!!' :p

It's from living in England 2.5 years and Ireland 11 years now. My Australian accent is quite soft compared to friends or family at home.

Then again, other Irish people pick up on it immediately and ask if I was ever in Home and Away :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That I am English.

I had been living in Ireland for about 8 years when a new guy started at work that was from Australia. I said I had lived there and he said 'what year?' - presuming it was a gap year or something. I replied '27 bl00dy years!!!!' :p

It's from living in England 2.5 years and Ireland 11 years now. My Australian accent is quite soft compared to friends or family at home.

Then again, other Irish people pick up on it immediately and ask if I was ever in Home and Away :p

I'd ask if you were in Border Security and what happened in the "private interview room":eek:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'd ask if you were in Border Security and what happened in the "private interview room":eek:

:D:D

Actually, I did have a bit of a run in with Immigration at Dublin airport yesterday ;)

I hate going through Non-EU as the guys there are always miserable as sin and bark 'what are you doing here?' 'where did you just come from?', 'what are you working at?'.

They are so rude, and for years I have just accepted the disdain as I have no choice, but this year, I came through with a Stamp 5 on my garda card that says I can stay in Ireland till 2017 and then renew that till the end of my next passport... so as he started firing the questions I told him to look closer at the Garda card. He did and looked suitably embarrassed.

He couldn't ask anything else and grill me so had to just stamp my passport and look all deflated and pissed off.

I'm a very polite person usually - but this d*ckwad didn't even get a thanks.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

People assume that I support Man.United, fucking annoying, really I support Accrington Stanley but that username was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

People assuming I'm American, I get this a lot, so I'm like "Duuuude, naawh', I'm like totally Irish, so just lay off brah"

Ha, this ones relentless - people assuming cuz I'm a man that I have little or no depth or feelings and can be spoken and treated as such. Where did this false notion come from?

People assuming I always get lucky with ladies when I actually do atrociously.

That I'm either shy, rude or weird cuz I loath small talk.

When someone sends me a song and says "I know you'll love this" based on another song that has similar characteristics/genre. They're always so wrong.

Because I'm a man I should be grateful for whatever p*ssy thats on offer, if I refuse it then I must be gay or odd. I turned down a fat bird at the weekend (talking away, being real nice and all etc) but my mates responded as though I had wasted a great opportunity. :confused:.

Because I like football my IQ is 70 points lower than what it is.

Because I'm unemployed women think I'm just a worthless waste of time and space. :pac:

people on the internet assume im male :pac:

another quiet type here, i don't know what people assume about that though

worked in a fast food place through college and got a lot of people assuming i was thick
    one particular person's face when set straight by a friend would have been priceless if it weren't so insulting

people also assume im about 17 and i keep getting asked how's school/college
    agh fcuk off

bluewolf wrote: »
    people on the internet assume im male :pac:

another quiet type here, i don't know what people assume about that though

worked in a fast food place through college and got a lot of people assuming i was thick
    one particular person's face when set straight by a friend would have been priceless if it weren't so insulting

people also assume im about 17 and i keep getting asked how's school/college
    agh fcuk off

Actually, I remember getting a PM off you when I first joined boards and had presumed you were male. I obviously didn't know you very well at all then, but yes, hands up, I did think that at first. Sorry!!! :o

And yes, I get the age one as well. It was my b'day at the end of October and a colleague nearly fell off her chair when I said I was turning 39. She thought I was 30-32. I love that though :) Long live that assumption!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

That I only have a "funny" side of me and I cant be in any other mood.

That my self deprecating jokes give them licence to take the piss out of me.

• Advertisement

Actually, I remember getting a PM off you when I first joined boards and had presumed you were male. I obviously didn't know you very well at all then, but yes, hands up, I did think that at first. Sorry!!! :o
    No need to apologise, I know I post fairly neutral/male. It's just funny when I meet people and get the reaction :)
    And yes, I get the age one as well. It was my b'day at the end of October and a colleague nearly fell off her chair when I said I was turning 39. She thought I was 30-32. I love that though :) Long live that assumption!!!
    I will appreciate it when I am 39! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

People will come out and ask me "what part of the North are you from?" Eh, no part.
    People assume I like GAA.
    People assume i'm not a nice person. I get a lot of drunken confessions along the lines of "I used to think you were a pr!ck, but I was wrong."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm ****ing 27!

If you're fucking 27 guys you might have those gazillion kids quite soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Some people are often surprised to learn that I am highly intelligent. I'd mention how well I am doing in college and they are shocked. What do they think of me??

Used to be a bit of a party girl and it is very hard to shake off that assumption. I was out last night and a friend passed a comment about how I live in the nightclub, he was shocked when I said it was my first time there since Halloween. And the reason I stopped those ways was because people assumed that was all there was to me.

And people always ask what part of Dublin I am from!! Excuse me for using proper elocution down this end of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

people think im ''offish'' and ignorant. what they dont know is that i do have a hearing problem, its gets to be a pain to keep saying sorry can you speak up im almost deaf

• Advertisement
Advertisement