Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assumptions people have made about you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Because I have no interest in horses/the lotto people in Northern Ireland assume its some religious thing while in the Republic they assume that someone in my family had issues with gambling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

smodgley wrote: »
    people think im ''offish'' and ignorant. what they dont know is that i do have a hearing problem, its gets to be a pain to keep saying sorry can you speak up im almost deaf

No offence intended but you may need a hearing aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'v been asked loads of times what age I was when I told them they thought I was younger than 20

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People used to take me for an Actor or Writer so i've started to change my appearance because that suggests vulgar good looks . I don't make any effort in looking 'good' anymore . Popularity is a sure sign of ****e .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

People assume I am a tourist as I have a London accent.
    They also assume I am a thug, as I weigh 16 and a half stones and have a skin head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GingerFire

people assume
    I'm not a real redhead
    I'm about 15 yrs younger than i am
    That I want to know the story of their lives
    (for some reason ppl like to tell me personal ****e.. All the time!!)
    that I'm posh.. i'm so not, I'm just educated
    oh.. and that I'm a good girl...

*grin*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

ElleEm wrote: »
    People assume that I must have low self esteem cos I'm a chubster! I don't,i'm very happy with myself, I just love food!

If I could thank that post twice I would.I get the same crap too...I love food, and at 42 I couldn,t give a fcuk what anyone thinks.My doc say's my heart and BP are perfect , I walk four miles everyday to work and Mrs Mattjack is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I had coworkers who assumed as a matter of course that I was gay and were genuinely surprised when they were disabused of the notion. Apparently dressing well and reading the Guardian was the reason.

I've also had people assume that because I have a shaved head and a leather trenchcoat, I'm vaguely fascist. In reality I'm mildly leftist and extremely socially liberal - I wear severe clothing because a hundred-kilo man with a shaved skull looks slightly ridiculous in most other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Confab wrote: »
    No offence intended but you may need a hearing aid.

none taken, my left ear is ''dead'' so a hearing aid is useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh, forgot this! I've had a lot of guys think this when I'm out. Probably coz I'm tall? I dunno..
    Will you stop woman, first your a nurse and now tall...give the rest of us midgets a chance :P
    Tigger wrote: »
    that i'm poor and uneducated cos i work in a shop
    I get that quite a bit in work, oh I'm paying your wages....eh no your not. you dont even pay your bloodly bill.
    Some people think I'm bonkers.
    But I just think I'm free.
    Man, I'm just livin' my life.
    There's nothin' crazy about me.
    thanks, I will have that in my head all day.
    I get that a lot as well. Or people don't get me for ages and think I'm weird/rude because I have a very dry sense of humour, apparently it's a more 'male' sense of humour. :confused:
    I have the same, I get my sense of humour from my dad:o
    That I am English.

I had been living in Ireland for about 8 years when a new guy started at work that was from Australia. I said I had lived there and he said 'what year?' - presuming it was a gap year or something. I replied '27 bl00dy years!!!!' :p

It's from living in England 2.5 years and Ireland 11 years now. My Australian accent is quite soft compared to friends or family at home.

Then again, other Irish people pick up on it immediately and ask if I was ever in Home and Away :p
    were you? :D

Alot of people assume I'm ignoring them, when really Im partially deaf so if I havent answered you it means I havent heard you.
    Alot of people think Im boring but it just takes me awhile to come out, and if you're a d!ckhead I see no point in playing nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

seanybiker wrote: »
    People normally think I'm a scumbag. Jeans/combats and tshirt/hoody. Then having a beard and skin head probably doesn't help. Piercings don't seem to go down to well. Fookers.

Scum bags wear jeans??? :eek:

That I'm a looser because I work in a supermarket. (ok fair point)
    That I'm lucky to have a job. (come work here for a few days then)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

GingerFire wrote: »
    oh.. and that I'm a good girl...

*grin*

*Slicks hair back* "Well hello;)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's hilarious cos some people assume I'm posh and rich, wheras some people assume I'm a knacker cos of my Dublin accent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

When you assume you make an ass out of U and ME :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Scum bags wear jeans??? :eek:

That I'm a looser because I work in a supermarket. (ok fair point)
    That I'm lucky to have a job. (come work here for a few days then)
    Oh that one makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    seanybiker wrote: »
    If that post was directed at me. I have a tiny jack Russel already. Haha.
    Your sorted so, they are cute little buggers :)
    :D Jack Russells are the life-force of the universe :D
    (de Boardie et al. Journal of Repeated Observations, in press)
    Big swing to positive on my assumptionometer for anyone accompanying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

People assume that because I'm small that they don't have to take me seriously.

They also assume that I'm younger/less senior than I am and I think its also because I'm so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Gay... probably because I don't wear clumpy black shoes with bootcut Wranglers, a check shirt tucked in and a silver necklace from Argos with a whiff of Brylcreem off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

People think i'm sweet and cute until i open my gob :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A lot of people take a look at me and assume AIRHEAD.

Also, people within the company I work for keep asking me why I didn't go back to college after the summer. I'm twenty-seven and I've been working here for years. WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Mostly when I was younger... that because I was good at school, that I must actually enjoy it i.e. that I would love to come to school at the weekends. Stupid kids. :rolleyes: Funny enough, I enjoyed having time off as much as anyone else. I just realised that I needed to actually do work in school when I was there to avoid getting a bollocking off the teacher.

That I was really just dying to talk/ be a social butterfly if only some kind soul would ask me loads of questions when I was being quiet (i.e. most of the time). No, I actually just don't like filling the silence up with meaningless sh1te all the time. No fcuk off and stop putting me on the spot... shy people just love being put on the spot after all.:rolleyes:

That I was a Satanist/witch/devil-worshipper because I liked metal and wore black. Now it's funny, because I don't dress like that as much people are surprised when I tell them I like metal, because you can only like that music if you wear the uniform, apparently.

One that actually makes me a bit disappointed is when I'm abroad and people find out I'm Irish, they always assume I can speak Irish. Tis a bit crap having to say 'No.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

That I am English.

I had been living in Ireland for about 8 years when a new guy started at work that was from Australia. I said I had lived there and he said 'what year?' - presuming it was a gap year or something. I replied '27 bl00dy years!!!!' :p

It's from living in England 2.5 years and Ireland 11 years now. My Australian accent is quite soft compared to friends or family at home.

Then again, other Irish people pick up on it immediately and ask if I was ever in Home and Away :p

I'm English and I get asked by customers in work what part of Australia I'm from at least once a day!! I've gotten South Africa before as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

People always assume I'm from Cork. The shame of it. :o

They also assume everyone from Kerry speaks like Jackie Healy Rae, I come from quite close to where he comes from but sound nothing like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

People think I'm gay. Even teachers! It is annoying to be honest.

Also, the blokes at work think I'm shy/quiet. Eh, I'm neither, I just don't want to talk to you because you're a bunch of morons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

People think I'm a cunt.....til I open my mouth and reinforce their belief pacman.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

That I'm a warm kind farmers daughter who smiles at the world!!

In truth I'm a nihilistic misanthrope with homicidal tendencies and a lenient attitude towards cannibalism

As for my father - he's a Dentist

That i'm shy..

Men just assume it sometimes.

When usually, I just have no interest in talking to them.

Oh, and because of the above..... i'm a bitch.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People never really know what to make of me ...i'm a bizarre mix . There is nothing typically Irish about me .I have no place really ...declasee i think might fit .Some expect me to be stupid 'cause i'm very shy and are flummoxed . I'm slow sometimes like a fool and get a synopsis on things too quickly . i astonish and impress at the wrong moments 'cause i'm not spontaneous .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Women i've pulled over the years assumed i be good in bed, well the jokes on them, i'm crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Sometimes people make the misguided assumption that I give a sh*t about their assumptions...

I second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

People assume that I'm listening to them when they talk to me, but most of the time I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

xoxyx wrote: »
    I have a weird accent (despite being Dublin born and bred (and bhuttered... :D). Most people assume I'm east European.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean you have to speak slowly around me. I've been speaking English the whole time. My accent doesn't mean that I can't understand you!!!
    I get this as well. I've always lived in Dublin too. Once in work a woman started talking about me to my colleague right in front of me talking about foreigners. I find it really weird that people do that. I always just assume people here are Irish until I find out otherwise.
    The weirdest one though was someone saying I was from Australia...why would an Australia look any different? Aren't they just British and Irish descendants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ejmaztec wrote: »
    People assume that I'm listening to them when they talk to me, but most of the time I'm not.

Aye I do that as well, I've perfected the art of putting on an interested facial expression and nodding at certain junctures while always maintaining eye contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just a few.....

Assumptions about my religion based on my surname

Assumptions about my voting habits based on one of my family names

The assumption that I lived in India becuase I worked in a call centre (was infact called a paki b@stard)

That I was south african becuase of my mixed up english/irish accent

:D:eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

People often assume I am a drug dealer in nightclubs.
    I often get asked; have you got anything?
    I must look like the stereotypical coke dealer with a Rolex Submariner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

That i'm shy..

Men just assume it sometimes.

When usually, I just have no interest in talking to them.

Oh, and because of the above..... i'm a bitch.

They probably don't want to talk to you either, just blow their beans inside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

All my friends think Im from eastern Europe. Now they just call me polak. My housemate last year thought I was Lithuanian when she met me. Im Irish and both my parents are Irish. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Too many about anything and everything -

I love when people make assumptions, just means I can either play on their ignorance or prove them wrong - that's one assumption people make about me. That I'm a bit slow, they're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I guess people kinda think I'm a bit dumb and totally non-serious and non-committed to absolutely everything in life...

I'ld say I'm just lazy and socially awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

I'm tall and like to observe people so I want a fight.
    Tall and strong so i must be tough. I don't want to play rugby I'd just cry like a little girl.
    I have curly hair so I'm a rapist.
    I'm rude because I observe but don't talk.

I actually do like people just from a distance.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I get the drug dealer thing, a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

People assume I am/was a hard drug user because I have piercings and tattoos and are genuinely surprised when I tell them I'm not, that I just used to smoke weed when I was younger. Older people like to congratulate me on "saying no". I'm also a stuck up b!tch because when I meet people for the first time I'm not the first person to say something and be their new best friend. I am in fact quite shy but if someone says hello to me first and has a chat I'll chat away! And my favourite is the "aren't ya mighty" and "fair play" comments I get because I'm not an illiterate, homeless mess after leaving school at the age of 16. They assume I shouldn't be able to read or write let alone hold an intelligent conversation because I made some bad decisions at a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

People always make assumptions about me. A regular one being that I'm a dark horse because once they've made an effort to get to know me, they realise that their original assumptions about me were misplaced. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just a few.....

Assumptions about my religion based on my surname

Assumptions about my voting habits based on one of my family names

This is what you get for being called Labour Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

... That I give a sh1t.

People assume my lack of response as being pissed off. I'm not... I just really couldn't give a rats ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

That im some sort of god, im not im just really awesome:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Tipp doesn't have an accent.

Ah here now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LemonPledge

Iv had a few people assume that I was a lesbian :rolleyes:

Advertisement