Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco reluctant to accept coins?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Sister announced to tesco cashier that she was part-paying with a pocketful of coins, mainly 1 and 2 euro bits.

Cashier more or less told her to convert the coins next time to notes using a machine on the wall!

No recession in tesco then!!
    lala88 wrote: »
    Complain about what? They took the change. They didn't give them a hard time from what i can see

It is not the cashier's job to make up company policy. I cant see anywhere in the company policy where the check out does not except (not so small) change.
    From the OPs post, it certainly sounds like her sis was getting a hard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sister announced to tesco cashier that she was part-paying with a pocketful of coins, mainly 1 and 2 euro bits.

Cashier more or less told her to convert the coins next time to notes using a machine on the wall!

No recession in tesco then!!

how many is a pocketful?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Vivara wrote: »
    Is this not against the law, coins being legal tender and all that?

No it is not as when you present youself at the till you are making an offer for a contract. The shop keeper must accept your offer for it to be a contract. Refusing your offfer is perfectly acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

ted1 wrote: »
    No it is not as when you present youself at the till you are making an offer for a contract. The shop keeper must accept your offer for it to be a contract. Refusing your offfer is perfectly acceptable.

I'm always amused at how stores' policies change the more successful they become.
    I would wager that on the first tentative days of trading on opening a new retail shop ANY retailer would be more than happy to accept (part) payment in coins; funny how they get more choosy as time goes by.

Either good customer service is a goal or it is not. There are no half measures IMO. What happened to "The Customer is Aways Right?"
    On this occasion my sister did no wrong, or did she?

how many is a pocketful?

Approx. 20 euros in mainly 1 euro coins.
    Its not like 2kg of coppers- that I would understand because of the time it would take to count.

If retail is hurting so much at the moment I dont see the problem, as long the amount proffered is within the Central Bank's guidelines posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If she feels she was hard done by she should complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

They probably wanted u to use the coin exchange because they make commission on it and the till staff wouldn't have to count it. From a business perspective it's a win win

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The coin counting machine is totally seperate to the store, even though it says Tesco on it. Looks like the staff member took a dislike to having to count the coins.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The coin counting machine is totally seperate to the store, even though it says Tesco on it. Looks like the staff member took a dislike to having to count the coins.

I didn't know that, never looked at it closely though.
    Looks like the cashier couldn't be ar**ed alright.

I'll have to bring in 50 pieces myself and see how I get on:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    those machines charge 10% commission to convert your change:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm always amused at how stores' policies change the more successful they become.
    I would wager that on the first tentative days of trading on opening a new retail shop ANY retailer would be more than happy to accept (part) payment in coins; funny how they get more choosy as time goes by.

Either good customer service is a goal or it is not. There are no half measures IMO. What happened to "The Customer is Aways Right?"

That isn't a store policy, that's consumer law. Most people yes even in supermarkets will take coins, plenty of customers especially older ones will count out a few euro in bits and pieces. It is generally people who have for example €100 in €1's who will get refused- though that too depends, it's not a given. This particular cashier sounds like someone who couldn't be arsed and wanted to go on break or something. Not unusual, but not company-wide and reflective of every Tesco employee.

are ye all serious i work on tills in my shop and have no problems letting customers off a few cent instead of breaking a note or if a customer has a rake of change ill gladly take it money is money after all and if the customers behinds them complains about waiting i just take theres as well and smile and apoloyise. i think its great majority of people are nice and understand

In regurds to someone asking about overs and unders on the till you are allowed a certain amount (our shop is 1.50) no till is ever perfect hard concentrating on a till 8hours a day looking and money and numbers :)
    i dont work in tesco by the way im 2 nice :)

Companies like Tesco and Dunnes take a hardline on this. They have thousands of employees and tens of thousands of people using tills every day. They can't have people leaving the till short- it all adds up and it will reflect badly on the cashier- in their eyes. Smaller shops have much more leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »

What happened to "The Customer is Aways Right?"
    The correct phrase is the customer is always let believe he's right. There's a big difference one keeps you in buisness the other doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Companies like Tesco and Dunnes take a hardline on this. They have thousands of employees and tens of thousands of people using tills every day. They can't have people leaving the till short- it all adds up and it will reflect badly on the cashier- in their eyes. Smaller shops have much more leeway.

suppose all supervalus are independently owned but we would still be as busy as dunnes or tescos :) god i hated dunnes think it was 5e you where allowed out on each transcation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sheroshero101

with the entering in to contract and legal obligations of legal tender... whats the situation when the clampers refuse to take coin.

Was told they are only obliged to take 5 coins in payment. it was an 85 euro fine and i tried to pay with 4 twentys and a bag of change. Had to run off to shop while clamper waited 10 mins for his noted money.. he clamped 2 others while he was waiting

this is unlike the groccer situation as i was not offered a treat..
    or the restaurant where i enjoyed the service of being clamped

Rant, rant, rant

suppose all supervalus are independently owned but we would still be as busy as dunnes or tescos :) god i hated dunnes think it was 5e you where allowed out on each transcation

It's €3 when they start to highlight it and write them down seperately (aside from the daily overs and unders sheets pasted beside the rosters). But pre-2008 they really didn't care, even if it was €50 plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

with the entering in to contract and legal obligations of legal tender... whats the situation when the clampers refuse to take coin.

Have you read the thread at all? It's all answered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

stacexD wrote: »
    Another thing... anyone work in tesco?
    Are they really strict about these kind of things?

One thing that happened to me a couple of weeks ago was i had a clubcard voucher and a couple of euros in change. I think the voucher was €2.50 and the few bits I was buying came to €5 something. I counted out my change and was short 3c so I offered the girl on the tills a €50 note instead (she was counting the change with me) she said wait a minute I know where there might be some change and went over to the self service tills and rumaged around in the white pipe things that go all around the shop to find a 5c coin.

It was really nice of her to do that but at the same time I was surprised she went to all that trouble for 3c :eek: Whenever I have less than 10c in change I say thanks and walk off as a lot of people I know do. I never see the cashier put the change into the money box either.

Would they be in trouble if they were caught letting someone off with such a small amount?

Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread! :P

I used to work in a retail shop too. Ocassionaly people would say not to worry about the change on the till and as there is no boxes around to put them into i'd leave them on top of the till. If I put them in my till I could be called up for being over. Then if someone came and was a cent or 2 short i'd use the change from earlier.

Its just handier and helps someone else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You are only looking at the person who wants to pay with coins. What about the people behind them in the queue, who have to wait for the coins being counted. They might not come back if this happens too often.

mdebets wrote: »
    You are only looking at the person who wants to pay with coins. What about the people behind them in the queue, who have to wait for the coins being counted. They might not come back if this happens too often.

How long is it going to take a cashier to count 20 euro coins?

I suppose supermarkets also have a "policy" if I wished
    to pay my €240 shopping bill in €5 notes too??

• Advertisement

How long is it going to take a cashier to count 20 euro coins?

I suppose supermarkets also have a "policy" if I wished
    to pay my €240 shopping bill in €5 notes too??

Much longer than being handed a €20 and or a €50. That's quite simple though in comparison to having an odd amount to count, in a greater amout and with multiple different coins. The multiple coin rule is NOT Tesco policy, it's consumer law- and even then 20 €1 coins doesn't breach it, it's 50+ coins.

No but it will take a few minutes to count, re-count, and squash into a till and wreck everyone's heads- all of the queue behind you would be thrilled. It's not really about the delay the cashier faces, it's moreso about holding up the queue.

Much longer than being handed a €20 and or a €50. That's quite simple though in comparison to having an odd amount to count, in a greater amout and with multiple different coins. The multiple coin rule is NOT Tesco policy, it's consumer law- and even then 20 €1 coins doesn't breach it, it's 50+ coins.

No but it will take a few minutes to count, re-count, and squash into a till and wreck everyone's heads- all of the queue behind you would be thrilled. It's not really about the delay the cashier faces, it's moreso about holding up the queue.

I dont really care about the queue, and I can say that clearly because I regularly "let people off" in front of me if they only have a couple of items compared to my often trolleyfull.

There has to be a little give and take, on occasion I WILL be paying in fivers, and maybe on occasion I will be bold enough to pay in coins, so I WILL expect a little patience from those in the queue, and from the cashier whose wages I am contributing to.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I dont really care about the queue, and I can say that clearly because I regularly "let people off" in front of me if they only have a couple of items compared to my often trolleyfull.

There has to be a little give and take, on occasion I WILL be paying in fivers, and maybe on occasion I will be bold enough to pay in coins, so I WILL expect a little patience from those in the queue, and from the cashier whose wages I am contributing to.:)

Most people in queues have no patience, so to say you "WILL expect it" is a little arrogant don't you think? Particularly if you hand the cashier a handful of coins. While you might not give a hoot if somebody in front of paid with a load of coins, the person behind you might be rolling his eyes to heaven.

The cashier may have been appeasing the queue behind you who were glaring at the back of your head. Or she may have just gotten change in her till and knew she would have trouble fitting all the coin into the drawers. I reckon that she may be disciplined for leaving cash out of the till because it didn't fit in, or she would have had to call a supervisor over to relieve her of the excess change, again slowing up the people behind you, who you don't care about, yet she has to serve them after you've gone. You just don't know what the situation was.

I tend to use the self service tills at tesco and put as much or as little change in as I need to. I rarely interact with the staff on the tills but when I do they always seem courteous and pleasant.

Advertisement