Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi Checkout Speed Trauma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Are purchases flung across the barcode scanner into one's trolley in an uber-efficient manner elsewhere or is it just Paddy thats gets his eggs scrambled?

In Lidl the staff are timed by how many items they scan if its not quick enough they get in trouble(lose there job) that's why you sometimes see them put the till on break when someone is being very slow and they don't slow down if you ask them(which comes across as ignorant but there ordered to do it)

Also depending on the time of the day you go shopping there may only be 2-3 members on this includes the manager who regularly has to serve customers clear boxes and sweep the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

cintec wrote: »
    In Lidl the staff are timed by how many items they scan if its not quick enough they get in trouble(lose there job) that's why you sometimes see them put the till on break when someone is being very slow and they don't slow down if you ask them(which comes across as ignorant but there ordered to do it)

Also depending on the time of the day you go shopping there may only be 2-3 members on this includes the manager who regularly has to serve customers clear boxes and sweep the floor.
    thanks for clearing this, was wondering why when i had huge baskets or trollies that things were being done at such speed, i bet there is a big turnover of staff if that is the case, robotic really, there are no self service tills on our local aldi and lidl, at least we could go at our own pace on the self service,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Just because the goods are relatively cheaper than elsewhere should' nt mean that the quality of service provided should be below standard.

Speed and efficiency and cheap and cheerful can work together nicely, as opposed to the apparent disregard for the slow, aged or infirm shopper.

The only reason people are putting up with this spartan service in austere surroundings is because the are on a restricted budget, and a little customer service at the till (packing etc) would make the experience more enjoyable for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe someone should put op a poll? Opinions seem about 50/50.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is a quick way of taking a trolley and arranging all items on the conveyor so they go immediately back in to same trolley as they finish scan and repack at the place provided . People might need just a little training with this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Del2005 wrote: »
    The last few times I've been to Dunnes or Tesco they've had chackers. They never pack properly and you're expected to pay for this. If they left one or two tills free it would be better.

Dunnes do, it's a policy. Every store has two bag-packer-free checkouts. There are signs either on or above the checkouts, can't remember but probably next to the 'alcohol can be bought at this checkout' sign. Ask a manager if you can't tell before you join a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't very often go into Lidl as I had too many arguments about which way round the trolley should go. I don't mind speed and I am quite happy to put my groceries into the trolley then sort them at the window shelf, but I do object to the pure silliness of insisting I position the trolley in the most inconvenient position for me to put stuff into it.

I don't find Tesco staff unfriendly, my local store is very good. My only issue is with the chackers (love that word) who may be perfectly nice people but I don't want them throwing my groceries anyhow into the bags. I can usually have my bags just about packed by the time the assistant is finished, and would be finished by the time the payment is made.

paddyandy wrote: »
    There is a quick way of taking a trolley and arranging all items on the conveyor so they go immediately back in to same trolley as they finish scan and repack at the place provided . People might need just a little training with this .

Do you know if there are any training courses available?
    I really think that i have the potential to become a better customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

goat2 wrote: »
    i go into dealz where i pay 1.49 for everything i buy, all brilliant stuff, the staff are helpful, pack bags and says thanks for shopping with them, that is my kind of place

Is Dealz a Supermarket for Food ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

WIZE wrote: »
    Is Dealz a Supermarket for Food ?
    yes, it sells, bread, milk ,butter, tea, coffee, etc, also toiloteries, household equipment, they cover a huge range, and their stuff is good, everything is 1.49, even reading glasses, baking tins, top brand toothpastes, sweets, the lot.
    try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I like the Aldi/Lidl speed at the checkout. It actually highlights how thick some people can be, if they don't group their items in order of packing compatibility then they deserve the trauma!

Hopefully this fast way will eventually kill out the far too casual attitude of Irish shoppers. I still see dopes at the checkout trying to pack their items into bags at the checkout...hello, that's what the big bench behind you is for!!

I'd have a bigger gripe with the Tesco/Dunnes staff who go at snails pace with a scowl on their face. They are usually middle-aged women full of bitterness because they had to go back to work due to husband's investments going belly up in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

looksee wrote: »
    but I do object to the pure silliness of insisting I position the trolley in the most inconvenient position for me to put stuff into it.

Just to clear it up. They do that for a simple reason, to turn the trolley around like that exposes it in its entirety to the checkout persons eyes (otherwise they cannot see most of it). They had a huge problem in the past with people leaving things in their trolleys and not paying (Whether intentional or not).

This reduced their losses enough that they made it a policy all over the world (I questioned this with a mate who worked in Lidl).

It's nothing personal, its just business. Obey or don't go, but that their logic... Personally I think it's fine. If it saves them cash which keeps prices low... good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

muboop1 wrote: »
    Just to clear it up. They do that for a simple reason, to turn the trolley around like that exposes it in its entirety to the checkout persons eyes (otherwise they cannot see most of it). They had a huge problem in the past with people leaving things in their trolleys and not paying (Whether intentional or not).

This reduced their losses enough that they made it a policy all over the world (I questioned this with a mate who worked in Lidl).

It's nothing personal, its just business. Obey or don't go, but that their logic... Personally I think it's fine. If it saves them cash which keeps prices low... good stuff!

Yup, that's the basis I work on. I don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The only gripe I have about Lidl/Aldi is that they don't have baskets or small trolleys (at least in my local stores). I usually only need 6 or 8 items so I put them in my bag as I go around the shop, on to the conveyor belt and back into the bag as quick as into a trolley. I like the speed and I have never came away feeling traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I love racing the cashiers and when I get in the lead I stand there indignant waiting for the next item to be scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭pavb2

It does seem a bit odd having to load everything from the trolley on to the belt & back in to the trolley.

I think someone should invent a machine/system like the scanners at the airport where you push your trolley through and it calculates the price automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Superquinn have the hand held scanners that you use in the shop and then hand over to pay the bill at the checkout.

rabjoshu wrote: »
    Lidl & Aldi have much better customer service than the more established grocery chains. OP, what did the manager say when you complained you were being attended to in a hasty manner?

My dear rabjoshu, dont misquote me.
    Thank you.

Can we not all wise up and realise that:

A. The Aldi/lidl checkout procedure is akin to "Pay up, now get over there out of my sight and bag up.

and

B. You the customer are not saving any (of your) time, because you have to take everything out of your precisely-placed-trolley twice!

You are just enabling the retailer to process more customers; in your time.

A little less of the maniacal time and motion managerial preoccupation would lead to a more pleasant shopping experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The only gripe I have about Lidl/Aldi is that they don't have baskets or small trolleys (at least in my local stores). I usually only need 6 or 8 items so I put them in my bag as I go around the shop, on to the conveyor belt and back into the bag as quick as into a trolley. I like the speed and I have never came away feeling traumatised.

Depends on the store, my local Lidl has baskets as well as trolleys. I only go there for breads so never have to use the trolley at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A. The Aldi/lidl checkout procedure is akin to "Pay up, now get over there out of my sight and bag up.

and

B. You the customer are not saving any (of your) time, because you have to take everything out of your precisely-placed-trolley twice!

A little less of the maniacal time and motion managerial preoccupation would lead to a more pleasant shopping experience.
    But by saving the time for the retailer you are keeping their costs down and this saving is passed on to the customers by Aldi and Lidl but other supermarkets find ways of increasing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

No, I don't agree with that because it's wrong. I don't have to wait for you to bag your goods, therefore I am saving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No this isn't true at all, What it is akin to is please fill your trolley and move to the packing area where you can pack at your leisure without inconveniencing your fellow shoppers. The bagging area is always at the front of the shop and in plain view with plenty of natural light.

B. I do save time, because the cashier isn't as slow as a wet week and the customer generally isn't dithering about putting cans of beans on top of the custard brioche.

The retailer is enabling me to GTFO of the shop in the minimum time, saving me time, and potential hassle of kids running amok:p.
    The other thing I like about Lidl and Aldi is the fact that they don't play inane music and instore ads over the PA. It is very relaxing just being able to shop without this distraction.

I like the German discounters and have no problem with the way they run their operation, this thread sounds like some former superquinn customers run into hard times and griping about the difference between the two models.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I love the way Aldi/Lidl do it. There is always room at the shelf to do your own packing without holding everyone else up.
    There is nothing worse then in Dunnes/Tesco/SuperValu when the person in front decides to pack their bags at the till and THEN decides to look for their purse, take out a load of coppers, hunt for their Clubcard, realise they havnt got enough in change so the search begins for the Credit Card, ask for CashBack, take the purse out again to put the cash and card back in, put purse in handbag, look at receipt, fold it, take purse out again and put receipt in it, rearrange bags in trolly and toddle off oblivious to the dirty looks from everyone in the queue and the cashier.
    Maybe Im just unlucky but I always seem to end up behind these people.
    Its even worse when some spotty kid tries to grab your shopping and tries to stuff it in any bag he might see in your trolly in the hope you will pay for his holiday to Paris (but thats for a different rant).

I hear you loud and clear on that score. I thought it was just me who got caught behind these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yep, there are times when only one checkout is operating and there can be a bit of a queue. Despite being extremely busy, I always find the staff in Aldi & Lidl in Wexford to be very pleasant and efficient. The gum chewing, scowling staff at the local petrol station shops could learn a lot from them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

pavb2 wrote: »
    It does seem a bit odd having to load everything from the trolley on to the belt & back in to the trolley.

I think someone should invent a machine/system like the scanners at the airport where you push your trolley through and it calculates the price automatically.
    I think RFID type labels may enable this type of thing. Not sure though. There would be massive job losses as a result.

Zab wrote: »
    No, I don't agree with that because it's wrong. I don't have to wait for you to bag your goods, therefore I am saving time.

Its not wrong-:rolleyes:

You are not saving time because you first have to unpack at the register and then pack back into trolley, then unpack onto shelf and then pack into your bags!

How is that faster than packing them at the register- Once?

Please explain..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How is that faster than packing them at the register- Once?

Please explain..........

Because you didn't have to wait at the checkout for several other people to do the same thing before you got your shopping processed.

Because you didn't have to wait at the checkout for several other people to do the same thing before you got your shopping processed.

OK I concede that- everyone else 1, going forward 0!!

But according to the sticker in the cashier's booth, they should be calling for and being given extra cashier lanes when there are more than 2 people behind the person they are serving. Now that rarely happens, so to compensate, the cashiers end up having to speedily serve everyone.

I'm just one of those who find it completely over rushed and a bit too brisk.
    Why is everyone else in such a hurry?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I'm just one of those who find it completely over rushed and a bit too brisk.
    Why is everyone else in such a hurry?;)

Probably because most people have better things to do with their lives then hang around supermarkets, quick in, quick out, cant be beat!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement