Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi Checkout Speed Trauma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think it's because people get annoyed when they see time being wasted on something that can be done efficiently and quickly. It's a natural reaction to waste. We all have to shop, we all have to go through checkout queues, so why can't we all do it efficiently? Some people seem to have no sense of the impact their actions have.

I fly a lot for work and I feel the same about people who spend ages putting their coats, handbags and laptop bags in the overhead bins, when they're quite clearly told to put those items under the seats. It's ineffcient and highlights how people can't listen to simple instructions from the stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Yes it's fast, but time is (usually) money. The scanners themselves seem to be uber smart too, the merest sniff of a barcode sets them off. Some of the ones in Tesco et al. sometimes need military precision to register a product!

From the consumer point of view, it's all aboput preparation. As has been noted, prepare the order of your packing on the runway (at least to me the conveyor belt sometimes seems that long!) and than have your bags open, hung and stacked in the trolley ready for the stuff coming off the scanner.

Using this technique I have outrun nearly all the cashiers in Lidl Greystones over the past couple of years, and I have been complimented by some of said cashiers for said outrunning abilities.

It's almost like a real world challenge to beat them.

Pack your bags like a BOSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why is everyone else in such a hurry?;)

I'm generally not in a hurry, but if my time is to be wasted, it should be for me to choose how that is to happen. I can't imagine myself ever choosing to stand in a checkout queue as the best option on a particular day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Lol never have a problem with speed in Aldi.

What i do is, person scans my items and I pack my stuff up in my bag as we both go along with the shopping dance and as he/she is saying what I own, they cant scan anything else until you pay, so when I am finished (albeit a little panicked but thats the fun) I pay the person. Never pay as you pack in these stores lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

OK I concede that- everyone else 1, going forward 0!!

But according to the sticker in the cashier's booth, they should be calling for and being given extra cashier lanes when there are more than 2 people behind the person they are serving. Now that rarely happens, so to compensate, the cashiers end up having to speedily serve everyone.

I'm just one of those who find it completely over rushed and a bit too brisk.
    Why is everyone else in such a hurry?;)

Is the sticker not for 2 people beyond the end of the belt? And in every shop I've been to they open another till within minutes, I've stood for ages in the Irish shops while the tills are all closed with staff standing around doing nothing.

I have better things to do than stand in a queue. It's like the gimp on the bus giving out about waiting 2 minutes and then proceeds to look for their wallet and count the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some people have no system when they go to the check out counter. I always but my shopping bag on the bottom of the basket. Load my goods on the conveyor and have my bag ready on the other side to take the stuff of the cashier as fast as she gives them to me. I dont want to be holding up people behind me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's all about efficiency, I always use Aldi or Lidl as great real world examples of Lean, folks here need to understand why their products are cheaper than their so called competition and part of it relies on you the customer getting with the program and be Lean in your shopping trolley.
    Want an easier checkout experience then go to Tesco and pay the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

But according to the sticker in the cashier's booth, they should be calling for and being given extra cashier lanes when there are more than 2 people behind the person they are serving. Now that rarely happens, so to compensate, the cashiers end up having to speedily serve everyone.

As far as I know it's '2 behind the last person who's items are on the belt'. That's what the computer picks up in Tesco, but it's '1 in front'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

you do get some slow bints in my lidl that is for sure. they want to faff about when loading stuff onto the belt and again when putting stuff in trolleys/trying to pack at end of checkout.

me if i have a trolley load it is fired into the trolley, sometimes directly into bags and off i go, either to the bench, or my car boot, where i can then worry about what goes where. but i have also always loaded up the belt in the correct order anyway. was brought up that way, easier to pack if it is already grouped correctly.

one thing i LOVE about aldi and lidl is the complete lack of chackers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hdowney wrote: »
    you do get some slow bints in my lidl that is for sure. they want to faff about when loading stuff onto the belt and again when putting stuff in trolleys/trying to pack at end of checkout.

me if i have a trolley load it is fired into the trolley, sometimes directly into bags and off i go, either to the bench, or my car boot, where i can then worry about what goes where. but i have also always loaded up the belt in the correct order anyway. was brought up that way, easier to pack if it is already grouped correctly.

one thing i LOVE about aldi and lidl is the complete lack of chackers :D
    What I hate are the clowns who insist on packing soap, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, wash-up liquid, bleach etc seperately in little plastic bags instead of taking a mili-second to check the top is tight.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What I hate are the clowns who insist on packing soap, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, wash-up liquid, bleach etc seperately in little plastic bags instead of taking a mili-second to check the top is tight.

yes. also if you just fire them all into a bag together, and don't put anything in that shouldn't be, if one does leak a bit tisn't the end of the world. just wipe it off when you get home and give the bag a rinse out. common sense does be lacking in a LOT of shoppers i find. hence i think the cries of retail thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't mind the Aldi system, but what I HATE is having my bread squashed, the cashiers could be a bit softer with the purchases tho.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dudara wrote: »

I fly a lot for work and I feel the same about people who spend ages putting their coats, handbags and laptop bags in the overhead bins, when they're quite clearly told to put those items under the seats. It's ineffcient and highlights how people can't listen to simple instructions from the stewards.

I occasionally fly for work to/from particular business spots and it amazes me how long these guys take to fold their fecking overcoats and scarves and they supposedly frequent fliers. Even worse when you're standing out in the rain waiting for them....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Head wrote: »
    Using this technique I have outrun nearly all the cashiers in Lidl Greystones over the past couple of years, and I have been complimented by some of said cashiers for said outrunning abilities.

I feel so inadequate:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

On thing i've noticed is that the packing areas are getting smaller....whats that about...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The most stressful part of my week in Germany....
    is grocery shopping. Well, let me be more exact. Grocery shopping in itself is not that stressful. It’s actually pretty relaxing roaming the aisles and at times adventurous, particularly when I am trying to figure out if what I am buying is actually what I think it is (good old German language for you there).

What is it then about this experience? The real stressful part is checking out and paying. Now, I’ve been fortunate enough to gather some experience in grocery store check-outs. I’ve tested the aisles of supermarkets in the United States, in a small po-dunk grocer on Culebra Island, Puerto Rico, in the Walmart-esque Sansibury’s and Tesco’s of the United Kingdom, in the small grocer chains of Netherlands, in the suave Ikea fashioned grocers of Sweden, in the open air markets of China . . . In most of these countries, I’ve enjoyed a nice stress-free, relaxed grocery check-out system. In the States, we even sometimes have people to help you bag your groceries.

Germany, however, is the land of efficiency and punctuality. So when you waltz into your local German grocery, be ready. First factor: efficiency. That means that most grocery stores only have a checkout lane open if it absolutely needs to be open. Thus, there is usually only one lane open; if the line and wait gets past a certain point for the one lane, then a second check-out lane will be opened.

Now, I’m all down for saving money and cutting costs, so I will give a nod of recognition to the Germans here. Having only one lane open frees other workers up to do other tasks. But typically this doesn’t work out as it is intended. Usually, the line will build up and people get impatient. When that second lane is opened, it’s like a new wave of anxiety takes over people – they gotta get into that second lane! You have to be ready and you have to move fast for that second lane! People make a move for it quick.

In any case, when you get to the check out and have unloaded your items for scanning and it finally becomes your turn to check out, you are feeling the pressure to get through there quickly and efficiently, particularly because there is a long line behind you. You know what it is like to go through airport security? Apply that to this situation and you will get my drift.

The stakes are raised at the check out though: there is very limited space at the check out for your items once they have traveled the conveyer belt and have been checked by the cashier. In this regard, you are left scrambling a bit, trying to get your items into your bag or container or box or whatever you have there. Here is a fine picture I found online explaining this feature:

aldi_kasse.jpeg
    Limited Space at Aldi-Checkout. The first box reads: "A long belt gives the customers enough time to prepare themselves for checkout" (don't believe it!). The second box reads: "Absence of second belt places customers under pressure." The third box reads: "Guidance system on the floor."

Now, the check out guy is speeding through the process, so the items start to build up. Then comes the decisive moment of actually paying for the items. So you get out your wallet and get a higher numbered bill out, but typically, giving exact change is preferred by the customer and cashier alike in Germany (exact change does make the entire transaction more orderly, and Germans do love order). In my opinion, though, this adds on to the chaos of the whole process. In review now, you’ve got items still waiting to be bagged, impatient Germans behind wanting to get through the check-out line, all the while the line is growing longer, and now you are digging around trying to find the right change. Sometimes you can just bite the bullet and give them that higher numbered bill and just call it good. But then you might end up in a few weeks with a ton of small coins. And if you go and try to pay with only those small coins, be ready for some fury.

Let’s say you’ve actually made it this far, though, and you successfully pay for your groceries. Now you’ve still got to bag your items. An extra challenge will be thrown your way, as indeed, the cashier will start to check out the next person, adding their items to your items, making it a bit confusing which groceries should actually go into your bag. At times, that person will even come and stand right where those two feet are in the photo.

Now, I will say that there are indeed strategies you can employ in this whole process. You can, for instance, go grocery shopping during odd hours of the day. However, the best one I’ve found so far: always use a cart to shop (be sure to bring your 1 Euro coin though so you can actually pay the deposit to get a cart; often times I forget this, which leads to problems). When you get to the check out, just dump all of the items right away into the cart as they come to you. Have your small money bag at hand and know where your coins are at so you can quickly select the right ones. Then, vacate the area and bag all your items far away from the check out as you can possibly be. Successfully employing this strategy is seriously a major victory in my week.

http://jstrasburg.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/the-most-stressful-part-of-my-week-in-germany/

Why are you making such a fuss about it?
    You put your items back in the trolley, pay, then you go to the shelf and bag them at your leisure over there.
    :confused:
    No wonder you find it stressful if you're trying to pack there
    Successfully employing this strategy is seriously a major victory in my week.
    good :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why are you making such a fuss about it?
    You put your items back in the trolley, pay, then you go to the shelf and bag them at your leisure over there.
    :confused:
    The problem is no doubt education.

Until I read this thread, I had no idea that there was a table at the back for this purpose. In this country, we're accustomed to packing our bags at the end of the till and then paying.
    A simple sticker at that section saying, "Please don't pack your bags here, use the area provided at the back", and people might understand the "correct" way to do it.

Personally I don't like that because it's horribly inefficient, you're unnecessarily loading and unloading the trolley a second time. So I pack my bags at the till, but then I worked as a bag packer when I was a nipper, so I don't leave the cashier waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

is grocery shopping. Well, let me be more exact. Grocery shopping in itself is not that stressful. It’s actually pretty relaxing roaming the aisles and at times adventurous, particularly when I am trying to figure out if what I am buying is actually what I think it is (good old German language for you there).

What is it then about this experience? The real stressful part is checking out and paying. Now, I’ve been fortunate enough to gather some experience in grocery store check-outs. I’ve tested the aisles of supermarkets in the United States, in a small po-dunk grocer on Culebra Island, Puerto Rico, in the Walmart-esque Sansibury’s and Tesco’s of the United Kingdom, in the small grocer chains of Netherlands, in the suave Ikea fashioned grocers of Sweden, in the open air markets of China . . . In most of these countries, I’ve enjoyed a nice stress-free, relaxed grocery check-out system. In the States, we even sometimes have people to help you bag your groceries.

Germany, however, is the land of efficiency and punctuality. So when you waltz into your local German grocery, be ready. First factor: efficiency. That means that most grocery stores only have a checkout lane open if it absolutely needs to be open. Thus, there is usually only one lane open; if the line and wait gets past a certain point for the one lane, then a second check-out lane will be opened.

Now, I’m all down for saving money and cutting costs, so I will give a nod of recognition to the Germans here. Having only one lane open frees other workers up to do other tasks. But typically this doesn’t work out as it is intended. Usually, the line will build up and people get impatient. When that second lane is opened, it’s like a new wave of anxiety takes over people – they gotta get into that second lane! You have to be ready and you have to move fast for that second lane! People make a move for it quick.

In any case, when you get to the check out and have unloaded your items for scanning and it finally becomes your turn to check out, you are feeling the pressure to get through there quickly and efficiently, particularly because there is a long line behind you. You know what it is like to go through airport security? Apply that to this situation and you will get my drift.

The stakes are raised at the check out though: there is very limited space at the check out for your items once they have traveled the conveyer belt and have been checked by the cashier. In this regard, you are left scrambling a bit, trying to get your items into your bag or container or box or whatever you have there. Here is a fine picture I found online explaining this feature:

aldi_kasse.jpeg
    Limited Space at Aldi-Checkout. The first box reads: "A long belt gives the customers enough time to prepare themselves for checkout" (don't believe it!). The second box reads: "Absence of second belt places customers under pressure." The third box reads: "Guidance system on the floor."

Now, the check out guy is speeding through the process, so the items start to build up. Then comes the decisive moment of actually paying for the items. So you get out your wallet and get a higher numbered bill out, but typically, giving exact change is preferred by the customer and cashier alike in Germany (exact change does make the entire transaction more orderly, and Germans do love order). In my opinion, though, this adds on to the chaos of the whole process. In review now, you’ve got items still waiting to be bagged, impatient Germans behind wanting to get through the check-out line, all the while the line is growing longer, and now you are digging around trying to find the right change. Sometimes you can just bite the bullet and give them that higher numbered bill and just call it good. But then you might end up in a few weeks with a ton of small coins. And if you go and try to pay with only those small coins, be ready for some fury.

Let’s say you’ve actually made it this far, though, and you successfully pay for your groceries. Now you’ve still got to bag your items. An extra challenge will be thrown your way, as indeed, the cashier will start to check out the next person, adding their items to your items, making it a bit confusing which groceries should actually go into your bag. At times, that person will even come and stand right where those two feet are in the photo.

Now, I will say that there are indeed strategies you can employ in this whole process. You can, for instance, go grocery shopping during odd hours of the day. However, the best one I’ve found so far: always use a cart to shop (be sure to bring your 1 Euro coin though so you can actually pay the deposit to get a cart; often times I forget this, which leads to problems). When you get to the check out, just dump all of the items right away into the cart as they come to you. Have your small money bag at hand and know where your coins are at so you can quickly select the right ones. Then, vacate the area and bag all your items far away from the check out as you can possibly be. Successfully employing this strategy is seriously a major victory in my week.

http://jstrasburg.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/the-most-stressful-part-of-my-week-in-germany/

Blowing everything out of proportion ?

I go shopping in Germany, its grand, have a coin on my keyring for the trolley. If i'm in Aldi/Lidl I hand over the money when all the shopping is in the trolley.

They can't ring more stuff through the till until the transaction is completed and theres nothing wrong with that.

Rarely happens that the Cashier is done ringing it up before i've packed though.

Aldi and Lidl are the budget stores, go to Rewe for example and its the same as Tesco, its not a German thing, its a Lidl and Aldi thing, but its hardly traumatic, I mean if its that much of an issue then just go and shop somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I cant believe some people dont realise there is a packing area :-o
    What do ye think the people in the queue in front of you are doing when the put their stuff into their trolly and head over to the window?? They are hardly going to look at the view of the car park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There is signs in my Local Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wasn't Crazy Prices like that, you packed at a shelf after the tills?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What do ye think the people in the queue in front of you are doing when the put their stuff into their trolly and head over to the window??
    I have never seen anyone do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

seamus wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone do that.

Most people are outside in the pouring rain, packing their stuff into bags and struggling to put them in the boot, while their kids are trying to retrieve a cabbage that's rolled under the car. That's trauma!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

snipped long entertaining post

I can fully confirm your experience. During my last visit to Germany (being German, language at least isn't an issue), the local supermarket conditions were exactly as described. Long queues, cranky impatient Germans and cramped conditions made grocery shopping annoying to say the least.

Give me our local Lidl or Aldi (Mallow) any time, short queuing times, lovely staff, relaxed atmosphere. Even Tesco or Dunnes at a pinch are better than the city centre supermarket in my home town in Germany, also considering that for a mid-size town there is only ONE general supermarket in the city centre and no Aldi or Lidl nearby.
    A sign of big supermarkets moving out of the town centre to suburb locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I save money by shopping there but staff are so rude I leave my manners and smiles in the car!!

Yeah you're doing it wrong.

gah today in my local lidl. there was one checkout open for ages. the queue was nearly halfway down the isle, and the operator was constantly ringing their buzzer for someone else to come before finally the chap appeared to open a second checkout. what really annoyed me then was it became like a free for all. where we had all been in certain places in the queue for the first checkout, people believed if they leggit and get their first then they are entitled, even if they'd been only on the back of the previous queue a minute and others had been waiting longer. ARGH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Was in Adli yesterday, the woman in front of me had loads of veg and was really slowly packing her bags. The Cashier(was the store manager) Said "let me help you" and brought her stuff over to the packing area. The face on the woman was priceless, I thought she was going to explode.

I always find most cashiers helpful and friendly. As mentioned before they have a certain numbers of items they have to scan through every hour or they get in trouble/fired so I can see why to some(slow) people they may seem rude..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I cant believe some people dont realise there is a packing area :-o
    What do ye think the people in the queue in front of you are doing when the put their stuff into their trolly and head over to the window?? They are hardly going to look at the view of the car park!

These are the sheeple who have been successfully conditioned to move away from the till area, to the delight of both management and the impatient throng in the queue behind.

I still think its a cra* system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement