Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on sequencers please

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Could explain in more detail what you're looking to do?

Those Korgs are keyboards with a built in sequencer. That kind of sequencer is a little different from a sequencer that you would used on a PC - a software sequencer (also called a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

krd wrote: »
    Could explain in more detail what you're looking to do?

Those Korgs are keyboards with a built in sequencer. That kind of sequencer is a little different from a sequencer that you would used on a PC - a software sequencer (also called a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation)
    Hi, I am looking for something fairly straightforward that I can use as a tool for "songwriting ".
    Not Pc based.
    Would have to be a decent sequencer as i am no pianist!!
    I dont need masses of tones but with decent drum machine.

Hi, I am looking for something fairly straightforward that I can use as a tool for "songwriting ".
    Not Pc based.
    Would have to be a decent sequencer as i am no pianist!!
    I dont need masses of tones but with decent drum machine.

To be honest. Hardware sequencers - like the one built into the Korg, are exceptional difficult to use. Way harder than a PC based sequencer.

Do you have any musical equipment at the minute?

To be honest. Hardware sequencers - like the one built into the Korg, are exceptional difficult to use. Way harder than a PC based sequencer.

Do you have any musical equipment at the minute?

Yes I have had the use of a Juno G and found it easy enough and have used a JW50 (bit obscure!) which had a great sequencer, actually handier to use than the Juno G, but I dont want to go to that kind of money though for what I actually need at the mo.

Also have an old Boss 8 track digital recoreder at my disposal, for any "live" line in recording.

As regards PC- not interested in that route, do a bit with Audacity and thats about it- I prefer the manual keys I suppose!

If the Korg was a cheaper version of the others, or if theres anything else out there similar it might do for me?

As regards PC- not interested in that route, do a bit with Audacity and thats about it- I prefer the manual keys I suppose!

I know what you mean.
    If the Korg was a cheaper version of the others, or if theres anything else out there similar it might do for me?

The Korg looks similar to the Rolands. It wouldn't be quite the same, as all the manufacturer are different in how they do their workstations. But it's similar idea.

The kind of thing you're looking at are called keyboard workstations. If you researched the different models you might be able to pick one up cheaply on Ebay. Workstations are kind of dying out - simply because sequencing work is easier to do on a PC. You should take a look at Ableton - you can download a free trial. I hate the pencilling in stuff - you're better off to have a good keyboard, like a workstation, where you can play stuff live etc.

How much were you thinking of spending?

• Advertisement

How much were you thinking of spending?

Very close to the region of the Korg TBH £299 ish.

Very close to the region of the Korg TBH £299 ish.

I'd say go with the Korg. I would say it might cover everything you need, and then you can always hook it up to pc if you like.

Advertisement