Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think like a bumblebee, train like a horse.

• 29-12-2011 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I’ve been putting this off for the last month or two but it’s time to start logging again, I learned a lot from my last log Sub-5hr Gaelforce West Log and while I didn’t achieve my overall target I was definitely the fittest I’ve ever been at the end of it. Since then I’ve kept up the training but severely reduced the intensity, duration and number of the workouts, doing a lot of 1 hour jogs and turbo cycles at low intensities (absolutely no really hard sessions). Also, been hitting the gym twice a week and working on my core/strength which I think was one of my big limiters especially on the bike, I have seen a good improvement in only a couple of months.

Read a couple of Joe Friel’s books over the last couple of months (HR Training, Triathletes Bible) and I’m going to incorporate his methods into my training from here on, I already have to some degree as all workouts for the last couple of months have been in zones 1 and 2. I used a HR monitor for the last year when training but to be honest I hadn’t a clue what the numbers were telling me, they make more sense now after reading his books.

Plan for the year is to stick at the adventure racing for most of the year (multi-sport events for the pedantic) but I’m going to compete in a few triathlons/duathlons as well, I volunteered for the Galway 70.3 this year and it was such a great event I had a mad rush of blood and signed up for next year!! I had another mad rush of blood and was going to try and run the ultra-marathon in Connemara in April but thought better of it seeing as I haven’t even ran a marathon yet, I tried to run the distances in Hal Higden’s ultra-plan and realised that the legs wouldn’t be able for it so copped on fairly quickly!!

Right so, I’ve my LT tests done for running and cycling and worked out my correct HR zones, first planned races for the new year are the Kinvara Rock and Road Half on March 3rd and the Connemarathon Full on April 1st.

Forgot to mention that as I haven’t done any triathlons before I need to learn how to swim properly!!...and buy a new road bike!!...and buy a wetsuit!!...and get used to swimming in the sea!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Best of luck, will follow this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

KoemansCC wrote: »
    Read a couple of Joe Friel’s books over the last couple of months (HR Training, Triathletes Bible)

I'd never have guessed! :)

Best of luck with the log and goals. Are you planning any triathlons for 2012? Even if you aren't it's never to early to start swimming lessons, start now and it'll make it a million times easier once you do start training for tris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck with this, I'll follow it.

I may be joining you in some of those races, hopefully the Kinvara half.

I'm in two minds about the Connemara full marathon. If you do this as your first marathon and want to give it a proper go then you'll have very little time for the bike in the run up. I did DCM last year and did nothing but run in the month before.

I have friends doing Connemara but its more likely I'll do the Harlequin Duathlon in Castlebar on March 27 (I think). The training for that will tie in better with my adventure racing plans for the summer. It was a good race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

welcome back koeman!! enjoyed your'e sub 5-hour log and am sure this will be just as insightful!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Thursday 29 Dec
    Type: Run (Aerobic)
    Distance: 5.09k
    Time: 00:40:48
    Pace: 08:01/k

A nice slow one to start seeing as its still xmas (ok a very slow one), 5k slow jog on grass. I had to walk a few times for about 25m to keep the HR in zone 2, going to do most of my runs for the next few weeks off-road until I build up a bit of distance...still a bit worried about my glass shins although they seem to be ok for the last 2-3 weeks. I'll have to do a few strides in training to improve my running efficiency though.

• Advertisement

I'd never have guessed! :)
    Are you planning any triathlons for 2012? Even if you aren't it's never to early to start swimming lessons, start now and it'll make it a million times easier once you do start training for tris.

Looking at the North Tipp Sprint in April I think, it's a pool swim so should be a good start for a beginner like myself...hopefully my swimming will be good enough by then!

snailsong wrote: »
    Best of luck with this, I'll follow it.
    If you do this as your first marathon and want to give it a proper go then you'll have very little time for the bike in the run up. I did DCM last year and did nothing but run in the month before.

True, but I'll know by mid to late Feb if I'll be able for the marathon training distances for Connemara...if not I'll just drop down to the half before the cut off

welcome back koeman!! enjoyed your'e sub 5-hour log and am sure this will be just as insightful!

Cheers cb, are you still targeting a sub-4 for Gaelfoce this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

Cheers cb, are you still targeting a sub-4 for Gaelfoce this year?

would be great, have to find 20 mins, but if i can stay injury free would feel confident!! will be keeping an eye on this to help me along!

Friday 30 Dec
    Type: Cycle (Aerobic)
    Distance: 23.5k
    Time: 01:15:00
    Speed: 18.8 kh

Steady turbo cycle in zone 2, nice and easy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Good to see you back logging. Best of luck with the ambitions for 2012!

LaHaine wrote: »
    Good to see you back logging. Best of luck with the ambitions for 2012!

Cheers LaHaine, will be following your log too...I'll be hot on your heels if you do GFW this year!!!

I was going to split these sessions into two today (am/pm) but was busy this morning...

Tuesday 03 Jan
    Type:  Run (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance:  8.47k (Treadmill)

Tempo intervals...15 min WU, 3x12 min work intervals in zone 3 with 3x3 rest intervals in between, 10 min WD. Very comfortable session, I was going to do an extra interval but held back...easy does it!!!

Type: Swim
    Lengths (25m):  10 in total I think

Started off doing 10 x sinking and exhaling drills in the deep end to get used to the water, when I was younger I had no qualms about diving in the deep end of the pool for pennies but it's amazing how you can lose the feel of it when you're underwater. Then did about 6 lengths kicking in the breathing position on either side, don't know how straight I was in the pool but I managed to do these easily enough which surprised me, although it really took it out of me though so I didn't do any strokes with my head looking down...next time!, finished off with a few lengths breaststroke and felt really tired at the end. Going to ditch the weight sessions and concentrate on the pool for the next month or so, going to try and get in about 3-4 a week of 30-40 minutes in the mornings.

Planned swim drills
    - sinking while exhaling
    - kicking in the breathing position
    - take a few strokes head down exhaling, kick for 3 breaths in the breathing position

Wed 04 Jan
    Distance: -
    Time: 01:00:00
    Speed: -

Felt a bit tired after the swimming yesterday, so a good cycle in the gym in zone 2, sweated buckets!!!

Thursday 05 Jan

AM
    Type: Swim
    Lengths (25m): 16

Done a bit of everything, lengths kicking in the breathing position, breaststroke...managed to start exhaling underwater a bit while doing the breaststroke so might do this for a while until I get more comfortable with my head underwater.

PM
    Distance: 5.53k
    Time: 00:42:16
    Pace: 07:39/k

Ran in the local park, a couple of hills and about 50/50 grass/tarmac...kept HR in zone 2 for the flat bits but HR climbed into zone 3 on the hills, probably a bit too much in zone 3 to be honest.

Managed to kick the shallow end of the pool this morning and my middle toe is swollen and black and blue, didn't bother me running (only when I stopped)...tender now!!

Saturday 07 Jan
    Distance: 3.64k
    Time: 00:30:00
    Pace: 08:14/k

Didn't get out for anything yesterday so not happy about that, just a slow jog in zone 2 on the treadmill this evening...had planned to do a longer one but I was wrecked after a 12 hour shift last night so cut it short...excuses, excuses!!! I'll have a good bit in the tank tomorrow I hope even though I'm working again tonight...

Most of my hard training is going to be done at the weekends and start of the week as time will be limited Wednesday to Friday, I'll be just happy to get in a few short runs those days, maybe a bit of core work...tomorrow will probably be a long slow run in zone 2...

Sun 08 Jan
    Type:  Run (Aerobic)
    Distance:  10.90k
    Time: 01:33:23
    Pace:  08:34/k

Very easy LSR on grass, kept in comfortably in zone 2 without having to walk...pace was slow but I'm still early in the base period so not worried, a couple of harder sessions due Monday and Tuesday.

Monday 09 January
    Type: Cycle (Muscular Endurance)
    Time: 01:25:02

Tempo intervals...
    WU 15 mins
    WI's 12 mins x 4 (zone 3)
    RI's 3mins
    WD 10 mins

Good session on the gym bike, had planned to do 30 mins in the pool after but forgot my fecking swim hat and goggles, I could have just stayed at home and used the turbo trainer...thats a swim session missed :mad:, of the three disciplines swimming is the one I can least afford to be missing!!!

Tuesday 10 January
    Type: Core strength (Force)

This core workout x 30 reps

I was planning to do some tempo runs but I had a small niggle in my left shin so wasn't sure whether to go out or not, didn't matter in the end as I was too busy in the house to get out at all so just settled for a core workout instead. I've been doing this for about 6 months on and off and I can finally pump out the reps with good form (even the hip lifts!!).

As I said I'll find it hard to get the sessions in Wed-Fri (nothing done today :() due to work and minding the young lad so I bought a treadmill from Elvery's, should be delivered in the next few days or so. Having that and the turbo trainer for the bike should mean I get in at least 45 mins those days when I'm busy, the longer sessions can be done Sat-Tue.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I was planning to do some tempo runs but I had a small niggle in my left shin so wasn't sure whether to go out or not..........

Two words - Get a foam roller:D

• Advertisement

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Two words - Get a foam roller:D

Have one, works a treat, especially on the muscle in front of the shin (soleus?) and the calfs...that and stretching the muscles every day have made a huge difference!

Thursday 12 January
    Type: Cycle (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance: 10.8k
    Time: 00:30:08
    Speed: 21.5 kh

Tempo...
    Short turbo spin, 10 min WU with 20 mins in zone 3...very short session but better than nothing I suppose.

Friday 13 January
    Type: Run (Speed Skills)
    Distance: 3.79k
    Time: 00:30:00

Strides...
    WU 5-6 mins
    WI's 11 x 90-100m (time approx 20 secs)
    RI's 70-90 secs
    WD 5-6 mins

Had 30 mins to spare after work this morning so decided to try a few running strides in the local park, have never done these before so not sure how they'll go, felt odd running with an exagerated stride. I ran the first 2 on grass but it was too slippy so ran the remainder on tarmac...it's nice running that time of the morning in the mist but not when you've been awake for 17 hours, slept like a baby after though!!!

Saturday 14 January
    Distance: 8.5k
    Pace: 07:03/k

Steady zone 2 run on the treadmill, HR was about 6-7 beats higher than expected but I had a large mocha just before I left the house so that probably explains it...I let my HR go a small bit higher than usual as I wasn't breathing heavy at all (RPE still felt like I was in zone 2)

Didn't get out at all Sunday as I woke up with a sore throat so said I'd take the day off, felt better today so had two sessions planned...

Monday 16 January

AM
    Distance: 8.12k
    Time: 01:05:02
    Avg Pace:  07:30/k

Treadmill run...
    Took this really easy at the start and ran the first 30 mins in zone 1, felt comfortable so uped it to zone 2 for the last 30 mins then 5 mins warm down...good static stretching session before and afterwards.

PM
    Distance:  22.13k
    Time: 01:05:02
    Avg Speed:  20.43kh

Turbo cycle...
    Nice steady cycle in zone 2 for the full 60 mins, I was going to go for 90 mins but I want to do some speed work on the treadmill tomorrow and some swimming so want to be fresh...

Still had a sore throat this morning but wasn't too bad, didn't want to miss another day as I'm working the next 4 nights so will be just squeezing in a few 30 mins sessions each day hopefully, new treadmill is being delivered Friday so that should help. Didn't do any swimming today again :mad:, really have to sort that out next week!!!

Tuesday 17 January

AM
    Type: Run (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance: 8.42k
    Avg Pace: 7:08/k

Tempo intervals...
    WU 10 mins
    WI's 12 mins x 3 (Z3)
    RI's 3 mins
    WD 5 mins

Rewarding run, had to run a faster pace than expected to get into Z3 so I thought my Garmin was acting up, it was fine though as my RPE felt spot on for Z3. Briskly walked the RIs as usual but will do a slow jog from now on as my HR plummeted when I slowed down...legs are a bit more tired than usual due to the faster pace but no pain or aches in my shins.

PM
    Type: Core strength (Force)

This core workout x 30 reps

No problem with this routine, Im able to do it in front of the telly so started watching The 4400 on my Apple TV as I never seen it first time around.

Thursday 19 January
    Type: Run (Speed Skills/Force)
    Distance: 6.19k
    Time: 00:46:00

Strides...
    WU 5-6 mins
    WI's 10 x 90-100m (time approx 20 secs)
    RI's 70-90 secs

Same strides session as last week and then a brisk 25 minute jog around the outside of the local park after work this morning, my garmin battery was dead so used the micoach app to record the distance. No HR readings though but the RPE felt about z3 maybe touching z4 running up the small hills, I pushed a bit harder than I would have than if I had the garmin to discipline me but the engine was well able for it, legs still feel fine even though most of the run was on tarmac...pace for the jog was about 06:40/k.

Saturday 21 January
    Type: Run (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance: 5.94k
    Time: 00:45:00
    Avg Pace: 7:35/k

Treadmill tempo run...
    The new treadmill was delivered yesterday, when I decided to buy one I was a bit wary that the quality wouldn't be as good as the ones in the gym, tried it out this evening and the quality if anything is better...I suppose it won't have 30 or 40 people pounding it every day, just me pounding it a few days a week!!! I finished work a few hours early last night as I was shattered and had a decent lie in today so was raring to go a bit longer...

Did a 10 min WU followed by a 30 tempo run in z3, I got very hot in the last few minutes of the run so will have to get out the fan for the next time, finished with a quick 5 min walk to cool down and then out the door for the last night of work this week...

Really looking forward to a lsr outdoors tomorrow, think the plan calls for about 14k and have to start gradually increasing the lsr distance to have any chance of making the full marathon in Connemara, still haven't decided if I'm dropping down to the half or not!!! The legs feel good but I'll have to increase the lsr distance by about 12-13% a week, a bit more than I'm happy with but not a huge increase week on week (longest lsr so far is 11k).

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Really looking forward to a lsr outdoors tomorrow, think the plan calls for about 14k and have to start gradually increasing the lsr distance to have any chance of making the full marathon in Connemara, still haven't decided if I'm dropping down to the half or not!!! The legs feel good but I'll have to increase the lsr distance by about 12-13% a week, a bit more than I'm happy with but not a huge increase week on week (longest lsr so far is 11k).

I was just about to ask you about this very point. You've been doing a lot of short distance but very few long runs. Surely at this stage you should be looking at 15 milers plus yet the longest you've run this year is 7 miles. It's a big increase over the next few weeks.

Saying that, as soon as I upped my distances I ended up crocked. Peroneal tendonitis in the left foot. Damn sore & two weeks out. Not happy. Things were looking good training wise.

• Advertisement

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Saying that, as soon as I upped my distances I ended up crocked. Peroneal tendonitis in the left foot. Damn sore & two weeks out. Not happy. Things were looking good training wise.

I think you answered the question, this time last year I went out and did way too much distance too soon, I was always trying to run faster from one day to the next and as you know I ended up crocked with shin splints and had to pull out of Connemara last year. About four or five weeks before Connemara I ran 17k in about 01:40, I ran a 20k the following week in about 02:06 and blew up then (they were at my then target race pace), ended up not doing anything for about 5-6 weeks and that's when I started my last log to try and get smarter with my training.

So this time round I want to try and build a good base before I do anything long and at race pace (i.e. a race), haven't decided if I'll do the full in Connemara yet (I probably will) and my planned long runs between now and then will be 14k, 16k, 18k, 14k, 20k, 22k, 25k, 20k, 28k, 32k, Race, about a 12.5% weekly increase with a small step back every 4 weeks and I'll be running these slow...

I've about 5 weeks of base training left and I'll be doing a lot more short tempo runs starting next week as my shins feel good, I'll still run a bit on grass for a couple of more weeks though to see how they go. My next target A race will not be Connemara, it'll be the Gaelforce Connemara (Conn Adventure Challenge) race about a month later, as Connemara is my first marathon I'll be happy to finish it without incident (and under 4 hours of course if I run it ;)!!!!)...

When did you start running in miles? :mad:, ever since you joined that ****ing running club I suppose :D, I'll have to go out with ye some weekend if I'm not working, Paddy's Day maybe...

Advertisement