Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think like a bumblebee, train like a horse.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Sunday 22 January
    Type:  Run (Endurance/Speed Skills)
    Distance:  14.19k
    Time: 01:49:53
    Avg Pace:  7:45/k

Long slow run with pickups...
    It was late this evening when I got out as I got to bed late after work this morning as the young lad was a bit sick, think he caught it off me unfortunately!!! Jogged from the house to the local park and ran all of this on grass apart from that and back, the grass was very cut up and uneven as there's a match on the pitch Sunday mornings so had to watch my step in the low light. Felt like crap for the first 30-40 mins, but felt way better from then on, I included 20 sec sprints every 15 mins to break it up a bit as it can be a bit monotonous running around a pitch...ran the first two pickups on grass but the surface was terrible so ran the rest on the adjacent tarmac path to avoid a turned ankle.

Very happy with this run as the time flew by (helped by podcasts), definitely had another few k in me but pulled it when the planned distance was reached, was comfortably in z2 throughout, HR touched into z3 towards the end but RPE still felt like z2 probably due to tiredness and loss of fluids...

Monday 23 January
    Type: Cycle (Muscular Endurance)
    Time: 00:55:00

Tempo...
    Gym bike, 15 min warm up then 30 mins tempo cycle in z3 with 10 min cool down...took a few minutes to get into a rythym but flew it after that, drenched with sweat afterwards.

Type: Swim
    Lengths (25m):  12

Felt a lot more comfortable in the pool today, wasn't as tired after each length. I'm finding it tough to get my technique and breathing right at the same time, there was a few training with snorkels and they said its easier to get your technique right and build up lung capacity using a snorkel and then get your breathing right, I might try one.

This evening was the first time I've felt 'tired' after training even after a quick nap, had a tempo run planned but knocked that on the head, I was going to do a core workout but knocked that on the head too for a night of rest. This is meant to be an R&R week anyway according to the plan, a few stretches later maybe especially my legs!

Tuesday 24 January
    Type: Run (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance: 6.05k
    Time: 00:33:54
    Avg Pace: 5.36/k

Tempo...
    I set up the treadmill in the house ready to go after I put junior to bed, then I had an unscheduled 3 hour warm up trying to get him to sleep!!! Had a few intervals of him crying then puking, a couple of leaky fartleks from his nappy and the other thing that follows them...finally got him to bed just before 11. Treadmill was out then due to the noise so just decided to do a quick outdoor run, my first on the road in a couple of months, passed the OH on the way out the door as she arrived home from work calling me a freak for running so close to midnight....

The plan was to just do a comfortable run concentrating on technique and keeping a high cadence, didn't check the garmin at all until I finished, very surprised at my pace and effort, HR alternated between z2 and z3 throughout but the pace was nice and brisk...probably my most satisfying run in about six months although the legs will be unforgiving tomorrow (good job it's a rest day).

Thursday 26 January
    AM
    Lengths (25m): 16

A quick swim after work this morning, managed to swim a fair bit of it with my head underwater exhaling and then breathing bilaterally to the sides...very happy after this but still a long way to go. There's not much point in measuring these swim sessions by time or pace as I'm still learning so I'm going to measure them in baby steps, I'm going to try and take at least one baby step each workout to try and improve...

Today's baby step: I managed to swim two individual lengths of the pool with my head under water exhaling and then kicking in the breating position for three breaths each side, started to relax a bit more too although my technique was probably all over the place...

PM
    Type: Run (Endurance)
    Distance: 4.99k
    Time: 00:33:31
    Avg Pace: 6.25/k

Treadmill run...
    Nice easy indoor run, it's very handy having the treadmill in the house to just do a few small jogs when time is tight...

Sunday 29 January
    Distance:  15.83k
    Time: 01:44:02
    Avg Pace:  6:34/k

I was absolutely exhausted when I woke up Friday afternoon after work so decided to take a complete break Friday and Saturday. LSR planned this evening and didn't fancy jogging round a muddy pitch for an hour and a half in the dark so decided to run on the road instead. HR was a bit higher than I wanted but I wasn't working hard, RPE was comfortably in z2, climbing to z3 on the few hills on the way. Ran a few 20 second sprints again every 15 minutes or so and increased the pace for the last 1.5k where I hit z4... overall a very comfortable jog and I feel great afterwards.

• Advertisement

Monday 30 January
    Distance: 7.56k
    Time: 00:50.01
    Avg Pace: 6:37/k

Tempo...
    Treadmill tempo run with 10 mins each WU & CD, 30 mins @ about 05:40/k pace, effort comfortably in z3 creeping into z4 towards the end...legs are starting to feel a bit stronger...

January 2012 Totals

Run: 118.12k (15)
    Bike: 119.93k (5)
    Swim: 1350m (4)

Very happy with my running total/number of runs, neutral with my cycling total as I've no race with a long cycle until the summer, very unhappy with my swim totals and I'll really need to improve...

Wednesday 01 February
    Type: Cycle (Endurance)
    Time: 00:45:00

I took yesterday off as a rest day instead of today as my my legs were a bit tired after two good runs Sunday and Monday...a short gym cycle this evening in z2, a bit more tired than usual afterwards but no bother.

Friday 03 January
    Distance:: 500m (20)

Swam a bit further this morning, didn't feel as comfortable as last week swimming freestyle but managed to do a good few lengths breaststroke with head underwater exhaling and breathing is better, lung capacity is crap but didn't need as much rest time between lengths as last week...

Today's baby steps: first time completing 500m, albeit in individual lengths...

Saturday 04 February
    Type: Run (Endurance)
    Distance: 4.16k
    Time: 00:30:00
    Avg Pace: 7:13/k

Short easy jog on the treadmill as I've a lsr planned for tomorrow evening, I don't know what I did swimming yesterday but I was shattered last night, took a half night in work and slept for 14 hours straight :eek:, the boy racers up for the Galway rally didn't even wake me cruising around all night....

• Advertisement

Sunday 05 February
    Distance:  18.45k
    Time: 02:01:55
    Avg Pace:  6:37/k

This was a bit tougher than last week but I wasn't as rested tonight, walked for about 50m at both 15k and 17k as my legs were tiring. I sprinted for 20 sec every 20 mins to break it up and ran the last 1.5k at tempo pace...overall still very comfortable.

Tuesday 07 February
    Distance: 6.24k
    Time: 00:40:00
    Avg Pace: 6:41/k

Tempo...
    Another short one on the treadmill, 10 mins WU and CD, 20 mins at tempo pace @5:40/k...really struggling to get the workouts in.

Lately I've become fascinated by barefoot running so I might try and incorporate a bit when I'm using the treadmill at home, I barefoot ran the last 5 mins of the CD, felt a bit odd and the soles of feet started to get a bit warm...

Wednesday 08 February
    Type:  Run (Endurance)
    Distance:  8.72k
    Time: 00:60:00
    Avg Pace:  6:53/k

Steady treadmill jog with 3 x 5 min hill intervals @ 4% (15, 30, 45 mins)...ran the last 5 mins barefoot again, it'll toughen up the skin on my soles if nothing else.

Thursday 09 February
    Type: Weights (Force)

A quick 40 min weight session in the gym this morning, haven't done this in about 2 months so I'll feel it tomorrow...

Sunday 12 February
    Type:  Run (Muscular Endurance/Endurance)
    Distance:  8.57k
    Time: 00:50:37
    Avg Pace:  5:54/k

Half a tempo run, half a steady run after two unscheduled days off...neither felt good, good job I decided not to run a lsr as I might have pulled the plug early...felt like crap but it's done and dusted and tomorrows another day.

Monday 13 February
    Distance: 20.43k
    Time: 02:15:19
    Avg Pace:  6:37/k

Get in...happy with that lsr and nothing to do with the distance, felt crap again from the minute I started until I finished and was resigned at some stage to take a detour and cut the 20k short. I kept plugging away though and once I got to halfway the was no turning back, nearly ran the entire distance but had to walk twice for 200m in the last 3k as the legs were getting tired (I'll have to sort out fluids for this next time, might just stop at a shop for 5 mins half way around)...kept the same pace throughout and there was no slowing down towards the end which is encouraging.

A good psychological boost even if the body wasn't willing...rest or recovery day tomorrow, hopefully I'm able to get to the pool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Fair play, It's doubly satisfying to complete the run if the body is less than enthusiastic. This winter training will stand to you (and me, my latest lsr was 19k) when spring and summer come.

Re hydration- I normally take a drink if the session is longer than one and a half hours, less if its hot. Usually I organise my route so that I'm passing the car half way through the run and I'll have a drink there. so I'm running two loops or if its an out and back i park half way 'out' if you get me. Then I run half out, all the 'back' and half 'out' again.

What is your next race. I'll be at the kinvara half in a few weeks, not far from you.

Thanks for keeping the log.

Cheers snailsong, the lsr is mostly in the brain I think and if it decides to have an off day it's doubly satisfying to finish a long run....motivation is lacking a bit a the moment, so I'll need to change something...a bit more cycling and swimming I think.

My hydration is usually a disaster, either too much or too little...in gaelforce west in 2010 I had about half a litre left at the end and then last year I ran out on the bike before CP even though I brought the same amount!!! I think I'll just bring a couple of euro as I run from the house and pass loads of shops around the city on the way...

Kinvara's my first race of the season so I might see you there, was going to do an 8k last weekend but I wasn't arsed about it...not to keen on road races to be honest, everyone else runs too fast!!!

Wednesday 15 February
    Time: 01:00:00

Didn't have the time to do anything yesterday so wanted to get an hour of aerobic out of the way, choose the gym bike as my legs didnt feel like running after Monday (didn't even get a chance to stretch last night, tried but failed!). A nice easy effort with a high cadence (100), kept is well in z1 for the hour so a good recovery session...

Saturday 18 February
    Type:  Run (Muscular Endurance)
    Distance:  6.12k
    Time: 00:31.29
    Avg Pace:  5:09/k

Felt fresh this evening after two days of inactivity :(, fairly comfortable effort and pushed it into z4 for the last k or so, kept focusing on form and cadence throughout...

• Advertisement

Sunday 19 February
    Distance: 22.57k
    Time: 02:28.01
    Avg Pace:  6:33/k

LSR with 20 sec pickups every 20 mins...
    I set out to run this a bit slower than last week as I thought my HR was a bit too high at stages, didn't work out that way and I actually ran a few seconds per k faster, the legs just kept turning!!! The surprising thing is though my HR was way lower this evening (7bpm on average) mostly in lower z2 and even fell into z1 at stages, run was was very comfortable and kept a steady pace throughout and didn't tire towards the end even though I felt like I was running through a bog for the last 2k...even managed to jog the whole thing without having to walk except for a 2 min stop at the shop for fluids at 13.5k.

I wore calf guards for the first time running instead of the usual compression socks, felt very tight at the start but were fine otherwise, I think the jury is still out wearing them running so I'll stick to using them for recovery as usual for the time being...

The other thing is picked up my first small twinge of the year on the inner side of my right knee, had the same last year for a bit so I know how to treat it after going to the physio then...won't affect training but I'll have to keep an eye on it...

Monday 20 February
    Time: 01:00:00

A very easy recovery session on the gym bike, a low effort in z1 with a highish cadence (85-95), watched an episode of The Wire on the phone to pass the time...

Tuesday 21 February
    Distance: 4.40k
    Time: 00:35:00
    Avg Pace:  7:57/k

A slow slow jog on the treadmill at home as my lower legs still felt very heavy after the weekend, better a run like this than nothing I suppose...I planned to run the last 5 mins barefoot as usual but the legs felt lighter when I took the runners off so ran for 10 mins instead...

Thursday 23 February
    Type: Weights (Force)

An hour long weight session in the gym after work this morning, I had my swim gear with me but I just can't face getting into a pool feeling groggy after a 12 hour night shift.

I'm fairly certain now that I wont be running the full marathon in Connemara in 5 weeks, to be honest I'll have to increase my running distances too fast and the last thing I want is to pick up an injury. My legs were very tired after last Sundays 22k and I'd say running style went out the window for the last few k...TBH there's plenty of marathons later in the year once I build up a bigger base. Time to start the swim training properly anyway and get some bike/run brick sessions in...

Friday 24 February
    Time: 01:03:00

A bit more than an hour after work on the gym bike in z2...loads of sweat! My upper leg muscles are a bit stiff this evening after doing the weight training yesterday, probably from the squats and leg extensions...will be fine for a shortish run tomorrow.

Only a week until my first race of the year, the Kinvara Rock and Road Half next Saturday, looking forward to it already...I'll be happy to break the 2 hour mark but I'd like to think I'll have a good few minutes to spare...we'll see!

Sunday 26 February
    Distance: 14.12k
    Time: 01:27:30
    Avg Pace:  6:12/k

Shorter LSR this week due to race on Saturday so I ran it at a slightly faster pace but still within my LSR pace zone, fairly uneventful except for a numb foot halfway due to a loose runner, a quick lace tightening sorted it out.

My right knee felt a bit tender all week (Thursdays squats didn't help) but a few stretches during the week usually sort it out, absolutely no reaction from it running tonight but I'll be watching it closely.

Monday 27 February
    Type: Run (Force)
    Distance: 7.34k
    Time:0:50:01
    Avg Pace: 6:49/k

Hill intervals on my treadmill at home, tough on the hills but I recovered fairly quickly afterwards...ran the cool down barefoot as usual.

WU 10 mins
    WI's 5, 4, 3, 2 mins intervals @6% incline
    RI's 5 mins @ same pace @1% incline
    CD 11 mins

February 2012 Totals

Run: 121.12k (11)
    Bike: 96.00k (4)
    Swim: 500m (1)

Thursday 01 March
    Type: Brick (Endurance)
    Time: 00:46:30

Cycle
    Time: 00:30:00

Easy effort with a high cadence (100), kept is well in z1 throughout...

Run
    Distance: 3.01k
    Time: 0:16:30
    Avg Pace: 5:29/k

Ran close to target race pace for Saturday, not exactly ideal as it was on the treadmill but I always find it harder to run on the treadmill...a short one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Good luck in the race tomorrow. Don't know what to aim for myself. in theory i should be able to better my pb of 1.40 from achill last year but i've done no fast work at all for a few months so we'll see how it goes. I'll pm you my mobile so you can call me if you want to say hello .

Advertisement