Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance for 175 visa

Options
  • 29-12-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Im in Sydney and am trying to get everything together for the Skilled Migration 175 Visa. I need to get a Garda Clearance from home and I rang up the local guard today. Unfortunately he was very snotty about it saying I should have had it sorted before I left Ireland...great help thanks!! (I tried to get a Garda Clearance before I left as I knew Id need it for the health care industry but they wouldnt give it to as they were certain I didnt need it. Very annoying because not having the garda clearance delayed me from starting work in Sydney for two weeks :rolleyes:)

The guard said my Dad may have to come to the guards station and sign forms on my behalf but he followed this up by saying he didnt really know how it worked and he'd get back to me. Hes not known for been the most efficient so have no idea what time frame we're talking about by the time he gets back to me! He's new to the parish so he doesnt know me at all.

How did ye sort out ye'r garda clearances from Australia? Happy New Year to everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?Page=1548

This is the first thing to look at.
    I wrote the letter and called the station after a few weeks to follow up.
    Inevitably some muppet will answer the phone at your local station.

It's very frustrating considering the UK cert arrived in just over a week. The Aussie came through in a week.

I ended up calling the station again after 3 months and spoke to the super explaining that the Australian Dept. of Immigration needed it pronto and the police in the other jurisdictions had all supplied theirs quickly. He said he'd look into it.
    The very next day, a cop drove into my parents yard and handed them the clearance.
    Unbelievable!
    The cop does not have to know you. It is a national clearance cert, ie you have a clean record.

The incompetence of some of these clowns in blue is very Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Do a search on the forum, I've put a link up previously with the PDF you need to fill out attached. I had to fill it out and certify it and then email to my sister where she got it signed ... Bizarre, it seems like all Garda have a different answer, but once you have the form you should be okay

<Edit> link to form I used here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74883809 - not sure if this is different than the form linked above from cooperspale

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

See this is typical Ireland for you :D.
    My gf needed garda clearence and she rang her local sation, she aksed who ever answered about getting it done asap and they said it would take weeks and to hold while she gets put through to someone else.
    The someone else answers the phone and it turns out to be someone the gf knows and the clearence was all done and complete by the time the ''hows life in oz?'' conversation was finished. One week later was here in the post.

Dont get me started on the Irish gun licence system!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

I had no problems getting the certs for myself and the wife took about a week from start to finish, very simple process. i approached the local gaurd he informed me i had to write to the local super requesting a police clearance certificate and what i wanted it for sign it and hand it in my wife had to do the same thing, week later the 2 certs arrived in the post.

as for gun licences, i own several rifles and shotguns never had a problem getting a licence, i was actually thinking of expanding my arsenal about 12mths ago and approached the gaurd about getting a pump action shotgun. he started laughing and asked what was i preparing for up there with all the guns and said once i don't plan on shooting the wife with it he couldn't see any problem in geting it.

only problem i have with the gaurds is trying to avoid them while driving home from the pub at night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

sponge_bob wrote: »
    I had no problems getting the certs for myself and the wife took about a week from start to finish, very simple process. i approached the local gaurd he informed me i had to write to the local super requesting a police clearance certificate and what i wanted it for sign it and hand it in my wife had to do the same thing, week later the 2 certs arrived in the post.

as for gun licences, i own several rifles and shotguns never had a problem getting a licence, i was actually thinking of expanding my arsenal about 12mths ago and approached the gaurd about getting a pump action shotgun. he started laughing and asked what was i preparing for up there with all the guns and said once i don't plan on shooting the wife with it he couldn't see any problem in geting it.

only problem i have with the gaurds is trying to avoid them while driving home from the pub at night:D

It took 16 months and countless phone calls and visits to local sation for me to pick up my gun. Application went on the miss, then was told id have to start again and wait in the list again, :mad:!
    Ah, they're not that bad. They just HATE papaerwork!

In fairness the clearance was in Australia a week after calling the sation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

My brother is in Sydney and needed clearance for his sponsored visa. He'd declared some traffic convictions on his WHV so needed this shown on the clearance.

I sent off the form to the local headquarters and 3 days later got one back but it said no conviction - turned out he'd been sent someone elses... I called the Superindenants office 5 times and got the name of the people I spoke to. Another 2 weeks no sign of it so I called up and they handed it over the counter to me. No one even asked for ID from me. It was just about to go in the post apparently :rolleyes:

Bypass your local station and go straight to the boss would be my advice. Make sure you state its for migration to Australia.

Just to add my brother didn't have to sign anything, I included a letter explaining the situation with his PPS number, DOB, previous addresses and current contact details along with my own but they never contacted him. Maybe a family member could do that for you and then email it to you when it comes.

Advertisement