Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What and When to eat when training?

Options
  • 29-12-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I've been lifting weights at home for a few months now,3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so at a time.

Should I be eating before or just after a session?,I'm not going to be taking supplements,just sticking to whatever I can grab from the fridge!
    So are some basics like dairy and meat enough to be eating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

Cheers squod,not a fan of most veg but will eat just about anything else.....luckily I could drink milk all day though!
    Some good tips in that vid by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kbyrnsie13

before i started taking protein in shake form or when i run out
    i whisk 2 or 3 eggs with milk and drink straight after a workout
    enough milk and whisking and its taste and texture is just like milk

also quark cream cheese or cottage cheese mixed with strawberry yogurt
    very filling loaded with about 30g of protein per tub not including yogurt and its low fat and cheap tescos or lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Doesnt really matter what you eat or when you eat it, as long as your eating enough calories (you'll know this by keeping an eye on weight) and enough protein.

I eat a lot just before the gym and I eat a lot after gym but you dont have to have a strict rule really. You can have 6 or 7 smaller meals throughout day or just eat 2 or 3 massive meals (which could be a bit uncomfortable).

Justin1982 wrote: »
    Doesnt really matter what you eat or when you eat it, as long as your eating enough calories (you'll know this by keeping an eye on weight) and enough protein.

I eat a lot just before the gym and I eat a lot after gym but you dont have to have a strict rule really. You can have 6 or 7 smaller meals throughout day or just eat 2 or 3 massive meals (which could be a bit uncomfortable).

6 or 7 will give you a higher metabolism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

kbyrnsie13 wrote: »

It actually won't, that's a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

That's pure brown talk and not something a novice lifter or recreational lifter need worry about.

That sort of nutrient timing is only really relevant to elite athletes and bodybuilders who are in single digit body fat percentages and looking to drop even further.

worked 4 me
    dropped 3 pounds of fat in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

worked 4 me

I'm sure your figure of three pounds of weight loss is correct but I don't think the whole three pounds would all have been fat.

More than likely, in the best case scenario, you lost 1lb of fat, 1lb of glycogen. & 1lb of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

worked 4 me

i normally lose about 3lb's between start + finish of a conditioning session and have no meals in that time !

• Advertisement
Advertisement