Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who writes as "Phoenix" in News and Star??

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Is there a more negative columnist anywhere in Ireland?? why doesnt he/she put their name to the piece??

p.s. I always thought the first rule of journalism was to be factually correct???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can you point to a factual incorrect statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Or explain the column so I don't have to go out and buy the paper to join the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its an opinion piece about the state of things in Waterford, usually a gripe about failings in development, infrastructure, political clout and suchlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He's pretty left wing too from what I recall but isn't afraid to lash out at the short comings of those on the left either. Those in power always get an awful gruelling though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

From what I can remember Phoenix is a woman called Jean Grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Is there a more negative columnist anywhere in Ireland?? why doesnt he/she put their name to the piece??

p.s. I always thought the first rule of journalism was to be factually correct???
    Whoever the person is, they will admit to any factual mistakes. Only a couple of months ago there was an article admitting a mistake with an explanation about their policy on always trying to be 100% factually correct. If you have a problem with anything in the column write a letter to the editor - if you are correct they will print your letter and/or the column will acknowledge its mistake.

The column isn't always negative and often focuses on the good things happening in Waterford, but yes it is very negative and critical of Governments' failures to support Waterford, mainly on issues relating to the hospital and WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

In fairness there is not much to be actually positive about with our city atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Nypd wrote: »
    In fairness there is not much to be actually positive about with our city atm.

I scored a sexy blonde last night. She was giving me the eye, and I made my move.

Have to say I'm feeling fairly positive about Waterford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

longshanks wrote: »

Oooooh nerdy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

dayshah wrote: »
    I scored a sexy blonde last night. She was giving me the eye, and I made my move.

Next weeks article sorted :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I dont think this is true actually

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Typhoon. wrote: »
    I dont think this is true actually

Whoooosh
    /nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Doh !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

Nah I heard its some tree hugging bloke linked to an taisce that writes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i heard twas brendan McCann that writes it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

dayshah wrote: »

hope thats not HIV positive...............

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

In fairness, it is only an opinion piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

He's grey alright but not Jean or a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

I heard that in his spare time he writes plot lines for Eastenders and lyrics for The Smiths.

Advertisement