Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training Twins

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there is any other parents of twins out there and if they can help me with some advice.our twins(both boys) were three in october and we still havent toilet trained them.we tried during the summer but they really werent aware of what they were doing so we decided to leave it a few months.as were both off this week and creche is closed we decided to give it a go but three days on were still no further along at all

what were doing is getting them on the pottys for as few minutes every ten or fifteen minutes or so and nothings happening.then one of them will no doubt just let fly on the floor in between times.is it a case of them still not being ready or are we missing a trick?were trying bribery and all but its honestly like theyve still no concept of actually needing to go?were at our wits ends so any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Are they able to tell you when they need to go and when they have gone wearing nappies? Some are just ready a little later than others. I have twin brothers - one trained at 2 and a half the other not until he was almost 3 and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

thats the catch with them they dont really acknowlege when theyve gone.id be thinking at three and an quarter theyd be ready.had a small bit of a breakthrough today discovering they actually like sitting on the upstairs loo as opposed to the pottys or downstairs one so gonna try them on it over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They're not ready, wait a few weeks and try again. Boys (not all boys, but most) can train later than girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Being a childminder I've toilet trained a lot of children, mostly boys. Most were 3+. My first child was 3.5 years old before he was trained yet his brother was 2y 4m approx and did it himself.

They probably aren't ready but with boys the shape of the potty could be off putting ie if their warm testicles touch a cold surface most of them don't like it so a potty with a deeper dome works better.

Regularly bringing them to the potty and putting them sitting on it is more a case of toilet timing rather than toilet training.

It's important to have a relaxed attitude when toilet training because if it's stressing you then they'll pick up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

thanks for all the advice its certainly stressing us having a big family of cousins isnt helping because you keep getting told x was trained at two years old and y was trained at two and a half etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Every child is different. I tried with my little girl at 2 years 10 months and she wasn't ready, one month later she done it herself in playschool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

rpurfield wrote: »
    thanks for all the advice its certainly stressing us having a big family of cousins isnt helping because you keep getting told x was trained at two years old and y was trained at two and a half etc.

I've long lost count of parents saying their children are toilet trained just because they're not in a nappy yet the same children are regularly having accidents and the parents bring the child to the toilet like clockwork, that's toilet timing which some people take to being toilet trained. I'm not talking about the odd accident as that can happen but regular accidents. A toilet trained child should be able to recognise when he or she needs to go without constant reminding or having accidents the whole time.

Don't let it stress you and it's not a competition.

Advertisement