Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank card replacement charge issue

• 29-12-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi I've been hit with the 5.90 replacement charge by BOI for a new ATM card replacement charge after my card was swallowed up by an Ulster Bank ATM machine in Jervis Shopping Centre. I was advised the BOI clerk that I could print out copies of the relevant statements and present these to the Ulsterbank in O'Connell St. to get the charge refunded. I have no proof on any statement to indicate that the Ulster ATM machine was at fault. Bearing this and the fact that I have no custom history with Ulster , I'm not confident of being taken seriously but will still try. Am I forgetting any useful consumer right that would strengthen my case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Tow

Kick up a fuss and the bank will refund you.

I have had a replacement ATM card couriered to me free of charge after an ATM machine rebooted mid transaction and ate the card.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Tbh you'll get no where with UB. That's plain stupid advise from the clerk.
    You card is more or less in two pieces in a confidential waste bag. So you have no proof that the ATM was at fault nor the card was damaged.

The vast majority of cards are captured because they are damaged in some way.

As said complain to boi and seek refund of the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

Thanks for advice
    Tbh I caused the clerk to give that rather lazy reply when I asked her myself how can I get a refund.....from Ulster Bank. I was a bit taken aback on being told about the replacement charge and didn't think the card itself might be at fault.

For the laugh I'll tell you this.

A while back a customer was charged for a replacement card, about his 10th card in two years. He always just put it in his back pocket or in the van door, he always seems to damage it after every major festival in Ireland. So he was very much so a repeat offender.

So one day the bank went to charge him for a replacement, hoping that he would then use the little wallet they'd given him.

He said that cause we are now charging him for it he wanted a warranty so the card would last and that most warrantys lasted 12 months. The card must be fit for purpose and should last the amount of time a stated by the expiry date, in this case 2 years. If the card failed to do this then he would seek a replacement card under the warranty and if he had an issue he would take his issue further with a complaint and then onto the ombudsman. Needless to say the teller was not expecting this fellow to come out with this and just by passes the charge and got him a new card....

It was a win for the customer if I ever did hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

What a chancer! lol

• Advertisement

I know, I would have done the same and just ordered a free card.

Advertisement