Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibrams to Brooks

• 29-12-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

After running solely in Vibram 5 Fingers for almost 9 months I picked up a stress fracture. When buying them I was advised by the Australian lad in Runways (and I read online) not to just go straight into 'barefoot' running - for all the reasons we've all heard and talked about...

Needless to say I ignored all the advice as I knew best - :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, when I started running in ordinary 'chunky-soled' shoes I was picking up all kinds of niggles and strains - sore shins, knees, problems with my IT bands. When I switched to the Vibrams, and altered my running style these all went away - except I didn't ease myself into it. I tried to do too much too soon and ended up paying the price.

So I decided to try something with a little more cushioning on the sole but still with a minimalist feel. Picked up a pair of Brooks - I think they're called Brooks Pure Connect. Went for a short jog last night in them and they seem fine so far.

Anybody here got experience/opinions on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

After running solely in Vibram 5 Fingers for almost 9 months I picked up a stress fracture. When buying them I was advised by the Australian lad in Runways (and I read online) not to just go straight into 'barefoot' running - for all the reasons we've all heard and talked about...

Needless to say I ignored all the advice as I knew best - :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, when I started running in ordinary 'chunky-soled' shoes I was picking up all kinds of niggles and strains - sore shins, knees, problems with my IT bands. When I switched to the Vibrams, and altered my running style these all went away - except I didn't ease myself into it. I tried to do too much too soon and ended up paying the price.

So I decided to try something with a little more cushioning on the sole but still with a minimalist feel. Picked up a pair of Brooks - I think they're called Brooks Pure Connect. Went for a short jog last night in them and they seem fine so far.

Anybody here got experience/opinions on them?
    Where did you pick them up Tristian Zealous Yolk? Im wearing green silence and have read good reviews for the pure connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

dev123 wrote: »
    Where did you pick them up steviecakes? Im wearing green silence and have read good reviews for the pure connect

Runways on Parnell Street in Dublin. As I said I only got them yesterday and only tried them for 1 short slow jog so far - so I can't really comment one way or the other at this stage.

One thing I did notice though (and this is to do with my feet, not the shoes) is that my feet got really tired very quickly last night while out for a run. When running in the Vibrams for the first while I used to get this... as my feet were adjusting. It wasn't sore but just a fatigued feeling. My body got used to it over time.

But I've basically just been relaxing with the feet up for almost the last 3 months.... It's amazing how quickly you lose the fitness!!

Advertisement