Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This is SERIOUSLY taking the píss...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

dgt wrote: »
    Now I've see this car knocking about the localish townland...

I'm getting very fed up of seeing it

But why?

Have a gawk at the screen...
    Image089.jpg

And where did I see it today?
    Image090.jpg

Photobucket wouldn't let me upload the full size image, so I've attached them instead

Sorry mods if this thread is inappropiate, I just want to show people the hard necks some people have :rolleyes:

I assume you're referring to his immaculate parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How could a traffic warden not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

unkel wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff that it hasn't met a checkpoint in the last 6 years.

In my experience there are very few, if any, checkpoints outside the Dublin area. Shame on the Gardai for that. They could alleviate the financial pain the state is in by collecting tax / fining tax dodgers and yet they do nothing.

Come up to Fundalk for a day or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Take_Her_Handy

Ha ha ha, imagine if you were the owner and was casually looking through boards.ie and happened to see this!!! Piss yourself much??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Ha ha ha, imagine if you were the owner and was casually looking through boards.ie and happened to see this!!! Piss yourself much??? :D

Its clear from that car that the owner could not give 2 fiddlers what you, me or anyone else here including the gardai think ... and has not cared for almost 7 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

It could be bull, but I heard that a lot of guards were switching off the ANPR on their cars as they were going off all the time for cars out of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In my experience there are very few, if any, checkpoints outside the Dublin area. Shame on the Gardai for that. They could alleviate the financial pain the state is in by collecting tax / fining tax dodgers and yet they do nothing.

I've been driving a regular loop between Dublin, Cork and Longford for the last 5-6 years and have never met a checkpoint in Dublin.

The only ones I've met have been in areas outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Drive through Dublin every day north side to south side and have only met 2 checkpoints in the last 6 years.

The UK system of SORN and automatic fines would end this nonsense once and for all at least the tax element any way

furtzy wrote: »
    Drive through Dublin every day north side to south side and have only met 2 checkpoints in the last 6 years.

The UK system of SORN and automatic fines would end this nonsense once and for all at least the tax element any way
    Would it? If he hasn't hit a checkpoint or ANPR how would SORN deter him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

MugMugs wrote: »

Because if he hadn't it SORN'ed he would get a fine in the post for not renewing his tax. No need for checkpoints or ANPR at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Maybe OP photoshopped it in order to get a long thread going over the holidays and kill some of the boredom:D

All said... it is taking the p1ss driving around in that and if Guard's are not doing anything about it then I would be onto Gaybo with a nice letter and ask him to get on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It could be bull, but I heard that a lot of guards were switching off the ANPR on their cars as they were going off all the time for cars out of tax.

I have heard the very same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Maybe he took her up to 88mph and came here from 2006, wouldn't imagine he would have known the colour of the 2011 tax discs prior to his departure :D

furtzy wrote: »

Because if he hadn't it SORN'ed he would get a fine in the post for not renewing his tax. No need for checkpoints or ANPR at all

You're missing my point. If he SORN'D the car, what's stopping him driving it? The Gardai aren't catching him as it is, how would a SORN change things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Your taking somebody else's business very personal, Ain't you ?

Whoever it is has some neck though but I'm sure he doesn't give a damn either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ah but it is his business, and mine and yours although you seem unable to recognise that fact. Why should we subsidise a free loader? Why should he not have to pay insurance and why should some poor sod have to pay out if he hits them?
    This is basic stuff. Everybody paying their way is the foundation of a sustainable society.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

charlemont wrote: »

Aside from the fact that we subsidise him, what if he crashes into you? I doubt you'd be so blasé about uninsured drivers then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You're missing my point. If he SORN'D the car, what's stopping him driving it? The Gardai aren't catching him as it is, how would a SORN change things?

You're right, the previous poster is missing one crucial point:
    Sorn would not work here, due to the usual level of enforcement, which is near zero.
    You could still declare your car off the road and go about your merry way, with very little worry.
    It's of course different in the UK (and Germany, France, Italy, Bulgaria, Russia, Nigeria, Chad and of course The Republic of Onga Bonga), where some actual, real enforcement takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

If the Guards won't do their job, contact the Garda Ombudsman. That is disgraceful!

NFD100 wrote: »
    If the Guards won't do their job, contact the Garda Ombudsman. That is disgraceful!

What? Who's to say they havent? Stop trying to Garda Bash!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Erm, try re-reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

smcgiff wrote: »

Whats to say that this person only drives a select route.... It entirely possible to never meet a checkpoint, Ags are hardly goin to set up a checkpoint in the middle of town and cause backlogs...

Edit-- wont someone please think of the lack of resources :-D

smcgiff wrote: »

Try engaging your brain. You don't know how long this thing has been on the road or how often.

We employ human beings with limited resources to police this country, not robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thinking back there of where I've encountered them and it has actually been without fail entirely within the "Greater Dublin Area" or effectively *on* the border. Never anywhere else. Furthest out from Dublin was Straffan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Come up to Fundalk for a day or two!

True enough, I think Garda presence in general has been stepped up in Dundalk over the years. I maybe see two checkpoints a year in the Dundalk area, but do hear of a lot more through friends etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Ah the old "mind your own business" Irish mentality.

I've seen this pop up in threads relating to speeding drivers, social welfare fraud, a convicted rapist amoung others.

My mind never fails to boggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you report it to a Guard ask for the guards name or number, so if he's involved in a crash while uninsured you can get back to him.
    Although, you'll probably just bring unnecessary hardship on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Report the crime, there is nothing more you can do, you have done your civic duty. Unfortunately those of use that care about the law are often enforced the most with duck in a barrel speed checks on empty motorways and sky high road tax, those with a total disregard get away with relative murder.

In my experience there are very few, if any, checkpoints outside the Dublin area. ........

I live a stones throw from Cork City Centre and see quite a few if them regularly :) Strangely enough, haven't been stopped this festive season as yet. I've encountered checkpoints in the morning on the way to work about 5/6 times in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Too right I am, wouldn't you feel a right mug too knowing this particular person is sponging off every insured driver in the republic? Why should we have to prop up this sort of nonsense? This is anything but the first time I've seen this car too...

3 hours later, driving through the town. Still there :rolleyes:

Image091.jpg

I have the number this time. I'll try the traffic corps instead :)

Advertisement