Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easy calving cows?

• 29-12-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

First of all, all i know is at birth the calving difficulty is based on the bull,if he is easy calving ,it will be an easy birth. (normally).
    is it also based on the cow.
    e.g. i have a shapey heifer with an easy calving pedigree,so if i used a hard calving bull,would it be an easier birth than a cow with a hard calving pedigree?
    i know that the pedigree passes on to the calf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

First of all, all i know is at birth the calving difficulty is based on the bull,if he is easy calving ,it will be an easy birth. (normally).
    is it also based on the cow.
    Yes, from a genetic point of view, it's also based on the cow, but in two ways, Maternal Calving and Direct calving. Both are inter-linked. Maternal calving refers to the cows ability to calve. This normally refers to the cows pelvic opening, but it can also refer to the general tighness around the birth canal, due to muscling etc. The Direct calving genetic contribution, has to do with the cow tending to produce small calves at brith. The problem is one tends to work against the other, in that calves with small hips will calve easily but they may also tend to have small hips when cows, so in turn have problems later on when calving themselves. This has been noticed in Dairying, in particular after generations of easy calving bulls.
    If you want to have cows that will calve easily, then look at the Maternal calving figures for the bull. These are in under the Fertility tab on the ICBF site. These bulls tend to be average enoiugh for Direct Calving, so best used on mature cows only,to produce replacements that calf easily.

Noted NCBC bulls are NIN & FL21 for Limousin.

Generally, it's true that heifers from so called easy calving bulls, will be hard calving as cows and vice versa. The trick is to use the right bulls on mature cows to get big framey heifers, choosing bulls with good Maternal Calving figures should do this.
    You can also get a good idea from just looking at the heifer. If she's wide and deep at the hips, then she should be fine. I also like the tail-head to be set down not standing proud, but maybe thats just me....

Advertisement