Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you found out that you were adopted?

• 29-12-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Would you try and find you real Parents

I guessing I would

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

If I found out where your adopted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

My Dad always said i was adopted but i came back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd do my sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd do my sister!

*Drops monocle*

Id probably ask Mr. Clooney (who i assume is my biological father) why he sodded off back then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

WIZE wrote: »
    Would you try and find you real Parents

I guessing I would

I would.
    It might explain my streak of lunacy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'd do my sister!

She could've have been adopted too, two for the price of one adoption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

mattjack wrote: »
    I'd do my sister!

So not only is it legal its also moral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

So not only is it legal its also moral!

Stick to that logic.It'll hold up well in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title translated into English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I asked my parents if I was adopted once and they replied.

'Vâng, con trai nó là khoảng thời gian chúng tôi đã có mà nói chuyện'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think I am from Krypton.

My mate found out years ago his father adopted him when he married his mother. They never got on (the ould fellow was a prick to say the least, he was blatantly unfair to my mate) he was rather relieved. He is in his 40s now, his father his 70-80s they still don't speak. Yet both my mate and his step dad gets on well with his mother and the other siblings. I always thought it was a bizarre situation,

I suppose it was a different time then in Ireland when the father was growing up. Single parents was a rarity and the father never really got over he was not his son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

mattjack wrote: »

Ah , I'm adopted and so is my sister, both from the same family. So it dose happen :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I wouldnt. I was raised by "mum and dad" and i think looking for my real parents would be hurtful to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd probably try and find them. I think I'd send them a letter before actually meeting them though. I'd want to know why they gave me up and if they ever tried to find me. If they had valid reasons for either of these things I'd want to meet them. If they hadn't tried to find me simply because they weren't bothered I'd have no interest in having anything to do with them.

I'd be surprised if I was adopted though because I have a massive nose which is very similar to the one my father had (when I say had I mean my father is dead, not that he had his nose amputated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I wouldnt. I was raised by "mum and dad" and i think looking for my real parents would be hurtful to them

Just to clear up a little niggle...

The term "real parents" is ridiculous to say the least, what's the alternative?? Cardboard parents...

"Birth Parents" and "Adoptive Parents" would be the appropriate terms..

It's like folks who refer to An Garda Síochána as the Police, just another pet peeve of mine

Pedantic Pat hat off again and stored away for next episode :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

The term 'real parents' is one those of us who ARE adopted have probably thrown at our adoptive parents numerous times whilst growing up, so we do tend to use it (as in 'I hate you, I'm going to run away and find my REAL Mum'). Sorry if it's technically incorrect :) And no, not really interested in finding my biological parents - slightly curious, but that's as far as it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I am adopted and my brother is adopted (from different birth mothers)
    My brother found his and met her and it went very well. He had the full support of both parents*
    I have searched and found out names and dates for my birth mother although I have support from both my parents I have no real wish to go any further.
    My opinion is that , in my case anyway, simple curiousity is just not enough to possibly open a whole world of hurt that could exist.
    When I hear about what went on in 'institutions' I count myself incredibly lucky that I ended up with fantastic parents who sacrificed a lot to raise me and that I could have easily ended up in one of those hellish places.
    That's my view and I would imagine every adoptee has a different viewpoint.

*parents: as in the people who raised me and my brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

bbam wrote: »
    JIt's like folks who refer to An Garda Síochána as the Police, just another pet peeve of mine

Pedantic Pat hat off again and stored away for next episode :cool:

I call them 'the police' and 'the cops' because I'm never sure how to spell Garda and how the tenses work.

I haven't one word of Irish unfortunately.

Please forgive me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am adopted, my birth Mum made the effort to find me, we met up, unfortunately in the end, it didn't work out and I was very hurt by the whole thing but I have learnt from it. Unfortunately not all reunions work out and it isn't all sweetness and light but the one thing I do wish is that if people plan to track people down, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

It does make me think twice about finding my birth father after that whole experience.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

What a ridiculous comment to make!
    I would be very curious to know who were my parents if I was adopted & this would not show ANY disrespect to my parents.
    I know a guy who was adopted & he found his parents & siblings. A hard journey for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not adopted but my other half is... he had no interest in going looking for his birth parents but always said that if they looked for him he'd be curious.

Cue one day receiving a letter from the Adoption Board and himself ringing up and setting up a meeting with a social worker who told him he had a full biological sister who was also adopted (so they've the same parents, she's older than he is.). They also knew who his birth father was but he said he'd just meet with the sister for the meanwhile.

They met and got on great and eventually met his birth father (and his three half sisters and one half brother) who gave them info on who their birth mother was... Turns out his birth father lived down the road from him for half of his life (He lived in Finglas East and his birth father lived in Finglas West) and his adopted mother worked with his birth mother for years (pretty distinctive information that tied them together), so he had actually met his birth mother a good few times without realising it. She wants nothing to do with them, the social worker has contacted her on several occasions.

Small world, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

^^^
    Something similar happened to my brother when he got into the nitty gritty details.
    The whole thing smelt off and when he told my parents what he had found out my Dad went a bit 'quiet' for a while. His birth mother and my Dad lived horribly close to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My mother was a single mother in Cork in 1944, and gave up her son for adoption.I wish my brother would search for me, Id love to meet him.
    So if you were born in Bessboro mother and baby home on 16/03/1944 to Mary Carey (she named you Micheal).
    I have registered my interest with the Adoption Board, if you think it may be you or if you think it might be someone you know, please get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Nope, wouldnt see the point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd be thinking, "I knew I couldn't be biologically related to these people. I'm off like the little hobo to find my real family!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If I found out I was adopted? relief would be the overwhelming emotion :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My father was adopted and I spoke to him recently about it. He's curious to know the names of his birth parents and some general information, and plans to search but not until after his adoptive father passes (his adoptive mother passed a few years back). He's not interested in meeting his birth parents (and I suspect that might be overly optimistic as he's in his mid 60's and his adoptive father is in his mid 90s), but just, like I said, general information. I think I'd feel the same.

Advertisement