Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Ticket Prices

Options
  • 29-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Im sure this thread has been done before but ive been left scratchin my head.

Going to see a Daytime show (5.30pm) in Storm in Waterford cost Two of us €23 (€11.50 each) I thought this a bit steep? Is this holiday prices or are they this high normally?

Omniplex in Wexford cost me in and around €13 for two of us recently at a daytime show?

Im not even gona get into the pricing of food as thats been done over and over. Are these ticket prices not counter productive? I certainly know id be going to the Cinema less at that price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

please bear in mind that the present government LOWERED THE VAT RATE that is applied to cinema ticket prices a number of months ago!!

of course we dont hear any interest group or consumer group complaining about this NOT BEING PASSED ON???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Storm are a bunch of thieves. We've been through this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

1. Was it in 3D?
    2. If you look at the prices on the website, they list the premium seat prices by default. You have to set it to standard seats. It's around 1.50 in the difference though.

€11.50 is the cost for an adult premier seat. Sounds like thats what ye paid for to me.

For what its worth, you could complain all you want about the ticket prices and it wouldn't go anywhere. The film companies make the money from the tickets, the cinema itself gets the money from the food.

Doesn't explain why it's more expensive than most other cinemas in the country. And I dunno if it's just me but I think the majority of the staff in storm are terrible. If they're not talking to each other they have a puss on their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

True. Theres a few people in there that are grand and will recommend films or how to save a bit of money, but over time it seems like they've either disappeared or been replaced.

• Advertisement

And it's weird Mitch cause it's a job that would suit a movie lover of any age. I know there's a lot more to it but I can think of hundreds of worse jobs for the same money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

And it's weird Mitch cause it's a job that would suit a movie lover of any age. I know there's a lot more to it but I can think of hundreds of worse jobs for the same money

yeah I agree, Niall who works in there is used to be an Xtra vision employee, he is always courtious and on the ball with recomendations or what not, but as for the other crew working in there they are not as inspiring. Which is probably damaging the cinema, because there are an awful lot of movie buffs around town who would kill for a job like this cos they would have a common interest in the stuff they are doing, but these guys don't seem to get these jobs. Saying that Storm dosen't tend to get a lot of european, independant, garter lane style shows, something I think there is an opening for....

Did that chap work in the xtravision in Parnell street? Sound lad if I'm thinking of the right fella

Did that chap work in the xtravision in Parnell street? Sound lad if I'm thinking of the right fella

yea he would have been between the one in Parnell Street and Lismore park... he is sound out now I must say and a bit of an expert on films... the kind of bloke who should work in a cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

regular tickets are between €7.80 - €9.80 depending when you go
    premier tickets are between €9.50 - €11.50 depending when you go

you paid extra for the more comfortable chairs at the very back of the room.
    I never go for premier seats as I hate sitting in the back but thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Check out this website.
    http://www.odysseycinemas.co.uk/default.aspx

It is for Odyssey cinemas in Belfast. It was trading as Storm until a few months ago and afaik it is still being run by the same people.

They have kid movies for £1.5
    tuesday all day £3
    Wednesday £5.80 but it is buy one get one free

the rest of the time it is £5.80 or £4,50 for an adult to see a kid's movie.

I would happily pay 7 euro to see a film but any more and I will download it for nothing and crank up the projector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the one we always try avoid is that oul chap with the glasses!!talk about slow and a grump!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What is happening downstairs? I noticed they ripped out the ice-cream place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Premium seats listed by default? Ryanair tactics right there.
    the one we always try avoid is that oul chap with the glasses!!talk about slow and a grump!!!!

Haha that fella is ridiculous. He doesn't even say anything like hello, please thank you, just looks at you until you say what you want, then when you tell him the film and any food he just squints at the screen and stabs at it one finger at a time. He is quite slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ziedth wrote: »
    What is happening downstairs? I noticed they ripped out the ice-cream place.

There is a costa coffee going in there. It will be open at the end of feb 2012. It will do well because it will be the only cafe around the area

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There is a costa coffee going in there. It will be open at the end of feb 2012. It will do well because it will be the only cafe around the area

Will the coffee costa lot?

....I'll get me coat...

Coffee? Fcuk's sake. The world has gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

He's sooo slow but I always feel so sorry for him I don't know why because he is so grumpy!

Dan133269 wrote: »

Haha that fella is ridiculous. He doesn't even say anything like hello, please thank you, just looks at you until you say what you want, then when you tell him the film and any food he just squints at the screen and stabs at it one finger at a time. He is quite slow.
    haha ya have him down to a tee lol

michellie wrote: »
    He's sooo slow but I always feel so sorry for him I don't know why because he is so grumpy!
    he knows he,s outta his league in there, as its a fast pace environment and he,s just too slow for the job!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

€20 for two student tickets to Puss in Boots 3D tonight (had to get the glasses). At one point I was going to the cinema once a week but don't think I'll be able to afford that for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

michellie wrote: »
    he knows he,s outta his league in there, as its a fast pace environment and he,s just too slow for the job!!!!

Yea he always looks really stressed out and flustered.

I was in there about 2 weeks ago on a sat morning with my friend and our kiddies, it was €6 each(child and adult price) . We were planning on going to see Arthur Christmas,but just as we were about to pay the girl at the till was told it wasn't gona be showed, they made some song and dance about taking money and that off us making us go from one till to the next, took about 15 mins to pay !! They were both non nationals and didn't have a clue what they were doing!

Happy feet was great, id recommend it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Ah yeah Niall is sound.

I'm from Dublin so always compare my cinema going experience to the likes of Dundrum, Cineworld or the Savoy and those cinema trips were always cheaper and more enjoyable.

The price of food, the price of tickets has been done to death as regards Storm but they are not listening. They were one of the places that chose not to pass on the VAT reduction.

If I recall correctly from the other thread on Storm, they reduced the sizes of their popcorn containers but left the prices the same, this was around the same time the VAT decrease came in.

This may seem like trivial stuff to complain about to some but this is why they have so little business. I have lived down here for over a year now and only once have I seen the cinema crowded and at that, there was still seats free right down the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Went to mission impossible 4 tonight cost around €9.80 each ticket

costa coffee is absolutely lovely imo, but they are pricey, your talking 3.20 for mid sized lattes/cappucinos etc, but sure they will tie in well with the priceing structure there in storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

i used to go to the cinema at least once a month for years.but since storm cinemas started taking the piss with inflated prices,i barely go twice a year.

for the price of 10 trips to the cinema for a couple with munch included,you can buy a DLP projector and 10ft screen.

yup very true, and even on a smaller scale for the price of 4 trips to cinema with munch included you could have a weekend away in galway or dublin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

@Mod there is no need for people's names to be mentioned in this thread, I'm also sure it wouldn't be welcomed by the people either (regardless of positive or negative comments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't see the problem with mentioning people's names, specifically because the praise directed at one employee is particularly relevant to the job he is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    @Mod there is no need for people's names to be mentioned in this thread, I'm also sure it wouldn't be welcomed by the people either (regardless of positive or negative comments)

If I worked with the public and someone mentioned me by name with positive comments I'd be delighted. If I got negative comments, I'd like to think I could take those comments on board. As Storm don't ever seem too interested in feedback from their customers, something like this could be an employee's only chance to see how they're doing.

Advertisement