Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Ticket Prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yet another wonderful experience in Storm today. Got served by such a rude woman. Then when we were in the cinema itself, two young lads walked in about a half hour into the film and spent the whole time there talking on their mobiles and talking to each other. I asked them politely to keep the noise down twice and they ignored me so I went outside and asked one of the staff if they would mind doing something about it, 20 minutes later a female member of staff came in and stood down near the screen looking up at these two lads. While she was standing there, one of them was on his phone the entire time. Then 20 minutes after that a male member of staff came in, did the same thing and left. Nothing was done about these two muppets who then spent the rest of the film making a nuisance of themselves. They left before the end of the film.

What is the point of asking staff to intervene if they are going to do nothing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Yet another wonderful experience in Storm today. Got served by such a rude woman. Then when we were in the cinema itself, two young lads walked in about a half hour into the film and spent the whole time there talking on their mobiles and talking to each other. I asked them politely to keep the noise down twice and they ignored me so I went outside and asked one of the staff if they would mind doing something about it, 20 minutes later a female member of staff came in and stood down near the screen looking up at these two lads. While she was standing there, one of them was on his phone the entire time. Then 20 minutes after that a male member of staff came in, did the same thing and left. Nothing was done about these two muppets who then spent the rest of the film making a nuisance of themselves. They left before the end of the film.

What is the point of asking staff to intervene if they are going to do nothing??

Did you have a word with the manager after the film about your experience?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just to give an idea about prices I paid recently. Two adult tickets, two medium cokes and a pack of M&Ms in Longford came to 28euro.

In Roscommon we got three adult tickets, three cokes, large popcorn came to 42euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Did you have a word with the manager after the film about your experience?

This annoys me. Customers pay the cinema for a ticket, they don't pay to do the manager's job. Its the managers job to be informed, its not the customers job to keep the manager in the loop. Why, after paying for expensive tickets, should a customer then have to ask to see the manager, and then feel embarrassed everytime they go to the cinema?

The person notified the staff of the people causing a nuisance. They shouldn't be expected to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The prices are going to get worse thats all i have to say but why give out to the Workers (We dont make the prices, the amount of times we feel like **** because of customer frustration).

Some people are just complanners but some just need to listen to themselves.

Almost 60% of Teenagers in the area that come to strom are so ****ing dim its both Scary and Ignorant (Jayus thats the future of the country and they cant even understand buying a simple cinema ticket :mad::(:D).

The Cinema recently got a new computar system in for both Ticket and Retail processing and even a few months later its hard to understand some of the features of it.

The Minimum wage worker that serves you does not make the prices, he/she is there to make a living, each worker is there to provide a 100% service (sometimes it can impossible to create good service due to computar related problems, comp vochers etc) but from the bottom of my heart sorry about the prices but LIFES TOUGH WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

dayshah wrote: »
    This annoys me. Customers pay the cinema for a ticket, they don't pay to do the manager's job. Its the managers job to be informed, its not the customers job to keep the manager in the loop. Why, after paying for expensive tickets, should a customer then have to ask to see the manager, and then feel embarrassed everytime they go to the cinema?

The person notified the staff of the people causing a nuisance. They shouldn't be expected to do more.
    If they weren't satisfied with the staff response, then they should be expected to talk to the manager instead of complaining to the internet tbh. Why would they feel embarassed everytime going to the cinema?

He never said anything about them having to do the manager's job. It's just common sense. If you didn't like the response you get from the staff, did you speak to the manager? I've done it before.

If you have a problem with the staff, tell the manager if you want it sorted.

If they weren't satisfied with the staff response, then they should be expected to talk to the manager instead of complaining to the internet tbh. Why would they feel embarassed everytime going to the cinema?

He never said anything about them having to do the manager's job. It's just common sense. If you didn't like the response you get from the staff, did you speak to the manager? I've done it before.

So what's the managers job? A good manager would keep himself informed. A manager has to be proactive about finding out whether or not the staff are doing what they are meant to, and to ensure things are running smoothly. They shouldn't wait for complaints to see if something has gone wrong.

People only make complaints if they are really pissed off, or more positively, if they think something will be done. If people are talking in the cinema, the manage himself should go in to tell them to keep quite or kick them out (unless he has security staff to do that). They shouldn't pass the buck to more junior staff.

People complain on the internet because its easier. That's Storm's problem. They should have a system in place so people could complain directly in a convenient manner.

People pay for a service, they go to the cinema to relax, not start a confrontation. Its the managers responsibility that the service is delivered. Next time I go to the cinema, should I timetable in an extra ten minutes for a post film chat because the manager isn't on top of his game.

Waiting for complaints is waiting for failure.

That's Storm's problem. They should have a system in place so people could complain directly in a convenient manner.

People pay for a service, they go to the cinema to relax, not start a confrontation. Its the managers responsibility that the service is delivered. Next time I go to the cinema, should I timetable in an extra ten minutes for a post film chat because the manager isn't on top of his game.

Well there's usually at least 2 managers there, if you are so upset by your experience you should make a manager aware of it, perhaps they can provide some sort of resolution for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

A good manager would keep himself informed. A manager has to be proactive about finding out whether or not the staff are doing what they are meant to, and to ensure things are running smoothly. They shouldn't wait for complaints to see if something has gone wrong.

How do you propose the manager should keep himself informed?

Define "proactive"?

You're using lots of words here, but I'm not sure what exactly you think should happen differently...

Well there's usually at least 2 managers there, if you are so upset by your experience you should make a manager aware of it, perhaps they can provide some sort of resolution for you...

Yes, someone could do that, or they can just put it up here.

Storm should welcome complaints and encourage them. It gives the same benefit as hiring a business consultant, at a fraction of the price.

I don't know if you are a manager or not (I'm guessing you have some involvement in Storm anyway), but I think an appropriate response would be to put in place a proper system to deal with the situation when some people are acting the maggot in a film, rather than just ask whether or not someone spoke to the manager.

Only a tiny amount of people will ever speak to the manager when they are unhappy about something.

• Advertisement

How do you propose the manager should keep himself informed?

Define "proactive"?

You're using lots of words here, but I'm not sure what exactly you think should happen differently...

Ever notice how Mr. Flash often seems to be around in Revolution, whether behind a bar or somewhere else? He isn't just pulling pints, he's keeping an eye on things.

If a manager is floating about he'll know when the jacks are clogged, the cinema should have been cleaned better, there is always a shortage of ice at a particular time or whatever problems arise. These problems arise in the best run of places. But in the best run places the manager is as likely to notice them as a customer.

A good manager would never think, 'oh why didn't the customer tell me that'. The reason is its not the customers job. If the customer does tell the staff there should be a system in place for that to filter up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To be honest I can understand some kid working in the cinema not wanting to ask a couple of lads to be quiet. It's not their job first and could lead to trouble that they can't handle second. However, there should be someone there at all times who is trained/willing to go out and turf out these knobs who are causing trouble.

Good customers pay enough for complaints like this to be acted on.

So what's the managers job? A good manager would keep himself informed. A manager has to be proactive about finding out whether or not the staff are doing what they are meant to, and to ensure things are running smoothly. They shouldn't wait for complaints to see if something has gone wrong.

People only make complaints if they are really pissed off, or more positively, if they think something will be done. If people are talking in the cinema, the manage himself should go in to tell them to keep quite or kick them out (unless he has security staff to do that). They shouldn't pass the buck to more junior staff.

People complain on the internet because its easier. That's Storm's problem. They should have a system in place so people could complain directly in a convenient manner.

I brought my two brothers to see captain america in 3D.

There was no sound. Staff said they'd have it fixed. 30 mins passed and they never did. Went outside and told the manager. Refunded food and tickets, refilled food we had and gave free tickets to next showing.

I complained in person, resolved it in person and I was unhappy with the staff there. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Ever notice how Mr. Flash often seems to be around in Revolution, whether behind a bar or somewhere else? He isn't just pulling pints, he's keeping an eye on things.

If a manager is floating about he'll know when the jacks are clogged, the cinema should have been cleaned better, there is always a shortage of ice at a particular time or whatever problems arise. These problems arise in the best run of places. But in the best run places the manager is as likely to notice them as a customer.

A good manager would never think, 'oh why didn't the customer tell me that'. The reason is its not the customers job. If the customer does tell the staff there should be a system in place for that to filter up.

Well you're hardly comparing like with like there - Flash is the owner of that business, not a hired manager. And also, my OH has just told me that the jacks in Revolution are disgustingly unhygienic any time she's been in there...!

For all you or I know there may be "a system in place for that to filter up", but you're depending on the same staff (who haven't bothered to deal with the problem) to filter the information up. Bottom line is the manager can't be expected to be everywhere and see / hear everything (I agree entirely with what you say about things like clogged jackses, or the likes, but the manager can't be at every show making sure there isn't some clown spending half the film talking on their phone).

As a customer, if I had a serious issue, I'd think there's much better likelihood of it being dealt with if I actually make the manager aware of it personally, than depending on the gobsh1te staff member who already failed to do so first time round to get the message to him. And certainly more so than by grinding my gears on an unrelated web forum about it.

It would of course be nice if Storm / Odeon, had a means of giving online feedback, and I've got plenty of issues with the place myself, but I just think you've got unrealistic expectations of what can be expected of a manager. Mitch's experience shows the manager in that instance acting in the manner I'd expect, once they become aware of an issue...

In response to the above, after the film we didn't have enough time to wait for a manager to speak to as the film went on longer than expected (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, nearly 3 hours long??) and we were in a rush home but when I went outside to complain about the two lads I specifically asked the girl to send in a manager to deal with the problem (apologies for not specifying this in my earlier post). I would've thought that that is enough on the part of any customer.

If Storm's staff are not equipped with the correct skills to deal with these type of people then they should employ people that are willing to eject people from the cinema for disturbing the showing.

they should employee people that are willing to eject people from the cinema for disturbing the showing.

Out of curiosity, how would one 'eject' someone from a cinema without being called up for assault?

Out of curiosity, how would one 'eject' someone from a cinema without being called up for assault?

I didn't mean "eject" in that sense of the word, I meant ask them to leave the premises.

I didn't mean "eject" in that sense of the word, I meant ask them to leave the premises.

What if they refused?

What if they refused?

I'm sure Storm can equip their staff with the necessary skills to deal with this sort of scenario, idiots are ejected from premises all over the country everyday of the week. I don't know what you expect me to say :confused: So what would your approach to this scenario be?

I'm sure Storm can equip their staff with the necessary skills to deal with this sort of scenario, idiots are ejected from premises all over the country everyday of the week. I don't know what you expect me to say :confused: So what would your approach to this scenario be?

You can't physically remove someone from an establishment unless your a guard or a bouncer (and bouncers are very restricted in what they can do in that sense**)

**assuming the bouncer is working for that establishment

• Advertisement

You can't physically remove someone from an establishment unless your a guard or a bouncer (and bouncers are very restricted in what they can do in that sense**)

**assuming the bouncer is working for that establishment

So what would your solution to noisy patrons disturbing the showing and refusing to leave be?

I can see both sides of the argument.

Not ejecting them is ruining everyone else's enjoyment of the film and wasting their money. It's nearly ruined one or two films for me, but on those times when they were told to shut up or leave, they left.

But to expect staff to physically eject someone from the cinema by force just won't happen. It's some asshole on a cinema, not a drunk in a nightclub.

I think what 2B is trying to say is that if they won't listen to staff, they can't physically evict them from the premises, so if you speak to a manager they'll refund or compensate I guess? I don't know for sure. Any smart little f*cker thrown out of the cinema by force would claim assault.

I can see both sides of the argument.

Not ejecting them is ruining everyone else's enjoyment of the film and wasting their money. It's nearly ruined one or two films for me, but on those times when they were told to shut up or leave, they left.

But to expect staff to physically eject someone from the cinema by force just won't happen. It's some asshole on a cinema, not a drunk in a nightclub.

I think what 2B is trying to say is that if they won't listen to staff, they can't physically evict them from the premises, so if you speak to a manager they'll refund or compensate I guess? I don't know for sure. Any smart little f*cker thrown out of the cinema by force would claim assault.

And how is asking a manager through another member of staff to deal with the situation not good enough?

And how is asking a manager through another member of staff to deal with the situation not good enough?
    I didn't say that at all, but now that you've mentioned it...

For one, you're asking a specific person to deal with a problem, through telling someone else to ask them for you. If you wanted the manager specifically to sort it out, why not just ask for the manager instead of directing a member of staff to tell him second hand? If a manager dealt with every single time someone said "I want a manager to deal with it" then there'd be no need for other staff. He/She would be doing everything.

If I had been the member of staff you spoke to, I would have gone to check it out for myself before calling the manager over two lads on their phones. Failing that, if you hadn't spoken to the manager, I would have informed him. Can't say for sure, I don't know how it works in there for sure when the problem hasn't been solved.

You say "I told a member of staff to deal with it, that should be enough."
    I'm pretty sure the manager, if it did get to him, felt "I've sent a member of staff to deal with it, that should be enough."

If I wanted to speak to the manager about something, or ask the manager to do something, I would go and ask/look for the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Rarely, if ever go to Storm because of the prices! I'm a student and even then it's ridiculous pricing!

In Dublin, you get a monthly pass to the cinema and get to see unlimited movies for €20, great value!

When I'm stuck in Waterford I just watch everything online.. :)

Grindylow wrote: »
    Rarely, if ever go to Storm because of the prices! I'm a student and even then it's ridiculous pricing!

In Dublin, you get a monthly pass to the cinema and get to see unlimited movies for €20, great value!

When I'm stuck in Waterford I just watch everything online.. :)

I miss that!

I didn't say that at all, but now that you've mentioned it...

For one, you're asking a specific person to deal with a problem, through telling someone else to ask them for you. If you wanted the manager specifically to sort it out, why not just ask for the manager instead of directing a member of staff to tell him second hand? If a manager dealt with every single time someone said "I want a manager to deal with it" then there'd be no need for other staff. He/She would be doing everything.

If I had been the member of staff you spoke to, I would have gone to check it out for myself before calling the manager over two lads on their phones. Failing that, if you hadn't spoken to the manager, I would have informed him. Can't say for sure, I don't know how it works in there for sure when the problem hasn't been solved.

You say "I told a member of staff to deal with it, that should be enough."
    I'm pretty sure the manager, if it did get to him, felt "I've sent a member of staff to deal with it, that should be enough."

If I wanted to speak to the manager about something, or ask the manager to do something, I would go and ask/look for the manager.
    So, in addition to hunting down the manager should we fry our own popcorn, and man the projectors ourselves.

In a bad situation they could stop the film until the people leave.

It's managements responsibility to hire people and ensure they are properly trained. A customer is paying for competent staff as much as for the film reel to be inserted.

If the staff aren't up to task they probably just need to trained on procedures.

So, in addition to hunting down the manager should we fry our own popcorn, and man the projectors ourselves.
    Theres sarcasm and theres being over the top for the sake of it.
    That I agree with, can remember it being done before years ago in the old cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

All most sure I saw security guard in the cinema last week

• Advertisement

It's managements responsibility to hire people and ensure they are properly trained. A customer is paying for competent staff as much as for the film reel to be inserted.

If the staff aren't up to task they probably just need to trained on procedures.

I would prefer to see that happen. If the problem is particularly bad the film has probably been interrupted so much anyway that you might as well go to see it again.

Between going out to find a member of staff and the noise created by the two lads in the cinema I'd say I missed 20-30 minutes of the film through not actually being able to hear what was going on and not being in the cinema. I have read the books but my boyfriend hasn't and he couldn't figure out how something was after happening because he had missed so many on screen conversations.

Advertisement