Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which college is best for the sciences?

• 29-12-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm in 6th year and filling out the cao form, but i cant decide what order to put the colleges for general science down in, i've narrowed down the colleges down to UCD,DCU, DIT, trinity and manooth.so if anyone has any information on the science courses in these colleges I'd love to hear from you! thanks!!

Comments

roxyk wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year and filling out the cao form, but i cant decide what order to put the colleges for general science down in, i've narrowed down the colleges down to UCD,DCU, DIT, trinity and manooth.so if anyone has any information on the science courses in these colleges I'd love to hear from you! thanks!!

I had DIT down first on the CAO. But I was delighted I got NUIM in the end. The place is really welcoming and you'll find everyone to be friendly. The science course is good, although you have to do 4 maths modules in first year. You get to pick between: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Experimental Physics and Maths Physics.
    Each of those has 2 modules, 1 per semester, except for Comp Science which has 4 modules afaik.
    Labs are once a week, usually for 2-3 hours, Maths and Maths Physics are the only modules without labs.
    The timetable is ok, usually 26 hours a week. But you get plenty of breaks in between the day.
    Any more questions you can PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I did my degree in Maynooth followed by a masters in UCD. Would definitely recommend Maynooth out of the two! Found UCD to be quite impersonal, particularly after coming from the friendly atmosphere in Maynooth. The facilities in Maynooth are first rate and all the departments are very good. Having said that there is a bit more subjects to choose from in UCD. I can't really offer an opinion on any of the others colleges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

although you have to do 4 maths modules in first year

Don't think there's such a thing as a science degree without compulsory maths...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I'm in 1st Science in Maynooth, and I couldn't recommend it more. I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and everyone has to do maths. 12 hours of lectures a week, 7 hours of labs, and 3 hours of tutorials. The lectures/tutors/lab instructors are all really good and helpful. And Maynooth is such a friendly college, and really good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roxyk

i have to say that maynooth is sounding great! and thank you for your replies!! my only difficulty would be getting there, did those of you who went there live on campus or live near or how did you commute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

roxyk wrote: »
    i have to say that maynooth is sounding great! and thank you for your replies!! my only difficulty would be getting there, did those of you who went there live on campus or live near or how did you commute?

I get the train from Drumcondra every day. It's about 35 minutes from Drumcondra to Maynooth, and little walk from the train station to college buildings - maybe 10 minutes for the furthest parts of campus.

When I started loads of my school mates who went to UCD were all "Oh wow you get the train to Maynooth every day??", but compared with a bus across town, the train to Maynooth is pretty quick. I know people going from my house to UCD would take over an hour, while I can get to Maynooth in about 40 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I did what El Pr0n did for years, it's grand. Though Irish Rail will have a massive affect on your blood pressure :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Living on-campus can be overrated; Maynooth is certainly worth considering IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Also, <3 the Mac Attack.

Advertisement