Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best mains fencer

• 29-12-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

whats the best mains fencer out there?

reliable....gives a good kick out of it....capable of energizing boundary and subdivision fences in approx 50acre plot

dont know much about them but seen one with a neighbour that darkens any thistles or nettles etc that come into contact with it + he does not seem to worried about it earthing like that...says it still keeps the animals in (which was news to me as I always thought nothing could come into contact with the wire or it would draw current (earth)

so what do ye use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Amacca,
    I find the best fence to be the PEL fence. It gives the best output by a long way from the Cheta or elephany fencers. It is expensive though.

I would not worry about a few thistles etc as I have a fencer that is designed for a good few kms more than I need. That means you are getting 7000V out of it and even with a bit of an earth it still gives a great kick. Anything over 3000V will keep cattle in.

Main thing with any fencer is that you have good connections and use good earth wire and earth rods. The earth has to be done with a good few bars also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

TUBBY wrote: »
    Amacca,
    I find the best fence to be the PEL fence. It gives the best output by a long way from the Cheta or elephany fencers. It is expensive though.

I would not worry about a few thistles etc as I have a fencer that is designed for a good few kms more than I need. That means you are getting 7000V out of it and even with a bit of an earth it still gives a great kick. Anything over 3000V will keep cattle in.

Main thing with any fencer is that you have good connections and use good earth wire and earth rods. The earth has to be done with a good few bars also.

tks for this tubby...appreciate it!

was looking around a couple of days ago....most of the places had gallagher or cheetah or lasc which seems to be made by cheetah but is a bit cheaper

was looking at a lasc one designed for 100 acres and it tested up to beyond 5000v (thats as far as the tester registered) but it was only rated at 2.5 joules whereas a cheetah one had a joule rating of 7.5 joules

joules are a measure of energy so would I be right in saying the higher the joule rating the better the kick the fence gives and the better it will deal with minor earthing due to thistles? do you use joules to compare fencers

there was a big difference in price......but then again I suppose you get what you pay for (seems crazy money for some as they are essentially just a transformer and a switching mechanism)

there were PEL ones in only one place but the salesperson did'nt seem to keen on selling them at all (musn't be much of a margin in em:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Yes, joule strength is a good indicator of performance. Personally I find Cheetah fencers are far better value than Gallagher's and they certainly look more sturdy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello,

I need to get a new electric fencer - we had an old Elephant one, but it gave up the ghost recently. :(

Now - I only just started using electric fencing, so I am not very well up on them, but as I need to get a new one, and they seem to be expensive, I said I would ask the experts here to make sure I get a good one.

I want it for sheep, it would be running prob 3kms of wire or so now, but that will increase over time as I divide more fields.

The one recommended to me in my local co-op was an elephant M65
    Now - I imagine this is a general, standard ok-ish fencer? :confused:
    The cost was about 300uro. They had more powerful ones, but I was told this would do me?

Opinions?
    Should I get a more powerful one, or would this one be ok?

I guess like the OP, it would be good to get something that could burn off any vegitation touching it, as I always thought nothing could touch the wire :confused:

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have a cheta electric fencer (60-100 acre version).

as a total amateur i think the 3 best pieces of advice is
    1. buy a fence tester (20e)
    2. make sure you put in 2 or 3 good 1m long earth bars, and dont earth it to the shed or the milking parlor.
    3. Get a roll of the insulated single core electric wire for running the earth terminal to the earthing bars and the power to the fence
    Just from my own lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

i have a cheta electric fencer (60-100 acre version).

as a total amateur i think the 3 best pieces of advice is
    1. buy a fence tester (20e)
    2. make sure you put in 2 or 3 good 1m long earth bars, and dont earth it to the shed or the milking parlor.
    3. Get a roll of the insulated single core electric wire for running the earth terminal to the earthing bars and the power to the fence
    Just from my own lessons.
    +1. Also the fencer manual will tell you how many earth bars needed and how far apart they need to be.

Username john, that look like it will do the business alright with an extreme load length of 10km. It should be suitable for longer lengths if the vegetation is kept from the fence and good insulators. Also, the lightening protector shown at the bottom is handy to have too as i found out a few years ago:(

Advertisement