Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fighting Game of 2011

Options
  • 29-12-2011 3:07pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

So what was the best fighting game of 2011?

What was the best fighting game of 2011 32 votes

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
    0% 0 votes
    King of the Fighters XIII
    3% 1 vote
    Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
    53% 17 votes
    Mortal Kombat
    0% 0 votes
    Street Fighter 3: Online Edition
    12% 4 votes
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition
    6% 2 votes
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    25% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition Version 2012 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

King of Fighters XIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

As much as I enjoy SFIV I've just been bored of it lately, never ever even play it any more. That's not to say it's a bad game. Saying that, I voted for KOF XIII as I think it's a really great game and probably wont get as much exposure as it deserves in the community but that's ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

mk9, no question, brought more new things to there genre than any of the others plus best story mode in a fighter period

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Clearly Marvel, only game on the list that's both entertaining to watch and play, some are neither.

AE or AE2012 doesnt count, it's a patch, then a patch to fix the patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

King of Fighters without a doubt.

It's very fun to play, it's very fun to watch and it's not bs

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

AE or AE2012 doesnt count, it's a patch, then a patch to fix the patch.

By that standard SSF IV and or UMvC 3 don't count either.

AE had new characters as well as balance changes.
    mk9, no question, brought more new things to there genre than any of the others plus best story mode in a fighter period

I'll give you is has a decent storyline, but what new things did it bring to fighting games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

KoF13, no question.

Hard to pick up and play, hard to master, an most people will never be at a level the creators intended.

It's fun, it's tense, it sticks to it's roots in which there's no BS comeback mechanic. (Here's looking at you MvC,Tekken,SF4)

It's the one game of 2011 that actually requires skill to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

KOF, because it reminds me of SF3.

3SOE can go suck a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

No Gears or Modern Warfare 3 in that list so I just picked Marvel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

3S is best fighting game of 1999 so KoF by a long shot.

Azza wrote: »

I'll give you is has a decent storyline, but what new things did it bring to fighting games?

sorry i meant in the genre of mk not fgs but mk9 did show every fighting game how to use a meter properly with no comeback factor (xray is in no way a comeback factor before anyone says it is)

look at mk vs dc then compare it to mk9,leaps and bounds
    seeing as when looking up a kof 13 review and got a kof 12 and didnt know the difference, mk has evolved itself more than any other

KOF 12's mechanics, and even presentation, are night-and-day different to KOF 13.

No zoom-in, faster gameplay speed, different combo system, huge roster, removal of the Clash mechanic.

Also when you defeat Yuri or King with a Super/Special, their tops come off :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    KOF 12's mechanics, and even presentation, are night-and-day different to KOF 13.

No zoom-in, faster gameplay speed, different combo system, huge roster, removal of the Clash mechanic.

well my kof knowledge is very low,i just meant at what i can see of the game not being in the know about changes

kof13 is very fun though i have to argee,ive had a good laugh playing it at testyourhype and casuals and all i can do is raidens dropkick and gas cloud,if only my exeuction was better :( (would prob help my bb playin2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

sorry i meant in the genre of mk not fgs but mk9 did show every fighting game how to use a meter properly with no comeback factor (xray is in no way a comeback factor before anyone says it is)

look at mk vs dc then compare it to mk9,leaps and bounds
    seeing as when looking up a kof 13 review and got a kof 12 and didnt know the difference, mk has evolved itself more than any other

Yet it could be argued it's not added anything other games have been doing a while (tekken style juggles and tags, EX and super moves from SF, etc)

To me, KoF is the clear winner this year, game is like a breath of fresh air. I can't vote for AE/2012 when to me both games are inferior to Super.

I don't know how you can judge 2012 yet.

I don't know how you can judge 2012 yet.

Well in that case I shouldn't vote for it anyway. :)

You're correct though, 2012 has been quite fun so far.

I don't think MK did anything new. X-Ray is just another name for Super/Ultra.

Not complaining though. I think MK is a good game.

Yet it could be argued it's not added anything other games have been doing a while (tekken style juggles and tags, EX and super moves from SF, etc)

yea i see what your saying,
    there tag had very little fresh ideas and took alot from TT but it was just a side game, juggles were happening in mk before tekken so wouldnt really call them tekken style besides the length of the combos,
    also i argee the exmoves using meter was a SF feature rather than mk previous "ex" system...the less said about that the better
    i was more talking about the jump in diferences between mk vs dc to mk9, from 3d to 2d,from broken to proper tourny game,the mecha of game being started from scratch (apart from the graphics engine :(),
    the jump between these two games imo is bigger than jumps others have made but of course it could also be said NRS are now finally doing things right but there competion have been doing it right years in advance

I don't think MK did anything new. X-Ray is just another name for Super/Ultra.

Not complaining though. I think MK is a good game.

but i didnt mean mk9 changed all fgs with the new things they,ve done this time around,i just meant the changes in mk as a whole

mk vs dc to mk9 being my main example,there chalk and cheese with the differences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

I'm voting Ultimate Marvel. It's overtaken SF as my favourite. Having said that, my copy of KoF should be arriving in the next couple of days so I might be of a different opinion next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Kof 13 for me the first game since a guilty gear to give me sore thumbs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

KOF 13

The best game of 2011 that nobody plays:p

I'd vote UMVC3, Game is fun to watch AND play which is more then what most fighters offer, MK9 shares this quality also but it's game mechanics hurt my soul

Gem fighter x Tekken will be best of 2012

Or Super Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3:Megaman edition

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

The good thing about these 2011 games, is that it made me realise how good sf's netcode is

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    The good thing about these 2011 games, is that it made me realise how good sf's netcode is

It's mad, I remember when people used to moan about it waaay back when.

BB's is exceptional too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Gotta be KOF XIII.

It's mad, I remember when people used to moan about it waaay back when.

BB's is exceptional too.
    One of the BB-heads was mentioning this to me, about how BB's engine is better DESIGNED for online play -- the way it handles combo inputs means that you don't have to worry about dropping 1f links as often and getting your ass handed to you because of lag spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

AE all the way with the 3S coming in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I am actually surprised how many votes UMvC is getting in comparison to most of the others. I voted UMvC3, but I'm looking to enter for more games than just Mahvul next time.

• Advertisement

It's 2012, close poll please while KoF is winning.

Advertisement