Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Kilkenny v New Kilkenny

Options
  • 29-12-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

I dont know if people are aware of this site or not,but if your interested in how kilkenny (or anywhere in Ireland for that matter)looks today compared to yesteryear then this is great fun.
    Use the slider at the bottom of the right hand corner to overlay the modern map with the old one,you can also zoom in and out.
    The Butts and Greens Bridge are interesting.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650589,655936,6,9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Thanks for that.Any idea what year the old map is ? as it pre dates St. Patricks church and St.Johns church.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The early maps are from 1834-1846.
    The later historical map is from 1892-1913.

You can see the early St Patricks church at the grave yard which still exists beside TC Tyres.
    The old St Johns church was further down opposite where AXA insurance is now

What I find sad is the amount and prominence of industrial schools,workhouses and asylums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Nice post.

I couldn't get the map working in Chrome though :|

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I like that site its always been very useful.

In chrome go to www.osi.ie then click Interactive Maps Button (shaped like Ireland) that works for me.

Advertisement