Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you react in this situation?

• 29-12-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

How would you react if someone who you deeply respected admitted to being in complete awe of Tom Cruise?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'd jump up and down on the sofa in delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd check to see if their Thetan levels were high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I'd buy them scientician vouchers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'd keep my arse to the wall as I moved out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd carry on with my day unabated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 lmijker

All of the above.
    none of the below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd scale the tallest building in the world......just like my hero, Tom Cruise!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd ask him if he had any of that weed to spare.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I respect his acting inability, so bff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A reflex slap to the face.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

NedLowry wrote: »
    How would you react if someone who you deeply respected admitted to being in complete awe of Tom Cruise?

I'd respect that they like his acting ability - while hopefully being in the full knowledge that he might be an off the head, nut-job, a basket case, a loop-de-loop, a wacko of the hightest order with too much money and not enough brain cells!

...And I haven't even mentioned anything about a closet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I would steal their Top Gun Aviator sunglasses :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Apparently, Tom Cruise is a pretty impressive guy, from interviews i've read. He may be a little nuts, but there's no denying he clearly a harder worker than anyone here and has been immensely successful as an actor, despite being small by Hollywood standards, and having problems with dyslexia.

"Complete awe" may be a bit strong, but i've heard stranger things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well after watching Magnolia I was in complete awe too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think myself the man is a nut-job but given that he's now 49 in age, damn he still looks younger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I know a guy like that. We're trying to get him help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

p wrote: »
    Apparently, Tom Cruise is a pretty impressive guy, from interviews i've read. He may be a little nuts, but there's no denying he clearly a harder worker than anyone here and has been immensely successful as an actor, despite being small by Hollywood standards, and having problems with dyslexia.

"Complete awe" may be a bit strong, but i've heard stranger things.

Are you Penelope Cruz ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I dont get it, Tom cruise is a good actor and has a great smile. Whats not to like (srsly)?

I so wanted to be him when I saw top gun all those years ago, damn that tarrentino rant that made topgun out to be teh ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I like Tom Cruise. Don't care what his personal beliefs are, or how sane he is in his day to day goings about, he's a good actor and I like watching him on the screen. What should anyone care otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Well, he's made blockbusters to be sure, and he has been a top box office draw.

He's had hits-M: I, M: I 3, Rain Man, Tropic Thunder, Risky Business, Magnolia, and many misses, inc. Knight and Day and Vanilla Sky. He's a diverse actor and let's hope he brings some meatier roles soon, he can put in the effort when needed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Any relation to CC O' Brien?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Id be like....

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I'd say your situation would be a mission impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

He seems like a decent guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There is not a man alive that didnt get a twitch during the volleyball scene in Top Gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I would delete their number from my mobile phone and cut all contact with them.

He's a diverse actor and let's hope he brings some meatier roles soon, he can put in the effort when needed!

On second thoughts, who am I trying to kid?
    M:I-2,anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

80's: Risky Business, Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, The Colour of Money, Rain Main, Cocktail.

90's: Days of Thunder, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview with a Vampire, Mission Impossible, Jerry Maguire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia.

00's: Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The Last Samurai, Collateral, War of the Worlds, Valkyrie.

I think it's safe to say that he has a career to be in awe of. He must have the least amount of dud films in his career than any other Hollywood actor.

I mean look at his acting in the clip below!

It would be remiss not to post the following clip;

• Advertisement

In light of recent events, any further thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'd find such an admission impossible to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Laugh at them.

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yea I'd do likewise and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rouge my man-nipples and Respect their opinion and discuss it, before retiring to a seperate single bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

In light of recent events, any further thoughts on this?
    A reflex slap to the face.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

as a personality i wouldnt be in awe of him id pity him for being such a moron with katie holmes..

as an actor hes not bad but then again i wouldnt be in awe of him or anybody for that matter ,i think thats dangerous territory..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Tom Cruise is a movie star.

People like Gary Oldman are actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

There is not a man alive that didnt get a twitch during the volleyball scene in Top Gun

Just for you Rich...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I would behave like any other rational reasonable 'suppressive persons'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

It's a complete swiz. I tried that Dianetics and didn't lose a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'd glove slap them. Glove slap, baby, glove slap etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He's a goods actor.
    If he's got problems, and I think he does, then he has my sympathy. I don't like people being abusive about him. He's a high profile victim of a cult. They use him as a straw man.
    I don't like people shouting head case and the like. It's very insensitive. You don't abuse somebody because they're messed up and have issues.
    He's indoctrinated with this crap, I just feel bad for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think Shryke is probably closest to my thoughts on Cruise. I like quite a lot of his films and think he can come across quite impressive when interviewed. Once read that he has it in his contracts for movies that no matter what scene they're in the middle of shooting that if his kids call his phone, he's entitled to answer it, regardless of the cost of blowing the scene. As a father I respect that and envy the power to demand it tbh.

His religious beliefs are nuts. But so are those of the Pope, George Bush, Tony Blair, Enda Kenny and most other world leaders. Yes, Scientology's youth makes it more incredible that people fall for it but it's just old enough that we're beginning to see the first generations of those who've been indoctrinated into it from childhood (Giovanni Ribisi for example).

It appears that Scientology has a rather darker edge to it than many of the more established religions but, then again, maybe we've simply become desensitised to many of the darker longer running religious traditions such as ritualistic circumcision of Jewish boys, conveniently forgotten the likes of the Indulgences practised in the past by the Catholic Church, tolerated the treating of women as chattel by some sects of Islam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think Shryke is probably closest to my thoughts on Cruise. I like quite a lot of his films and think he can come across quite impressive when interviewed. Once read that he has it in his contracts for movies that no matter what scene they're in the middle of shooting that if his kids call his phone, he's entitled to answer it, regardless of the cost of blowing the scene. As a father I respect that and envy the power to demand it tbh.

His religious beliefs are nuts. But so are those of the Pope, George Bush, Tony Blair, Enda Kenny and most other world leaders. Yes, Scientology's youth makes it more incredible that people fall for it but it's just old enough that we're beginning to see the first generations of those who've been indoctrinated into it from childhood (Giovanni Ribisi for example).

It appears that Scientology has a rather darker edge to it than many of the more established religions but, then again, maybe we've simply become desensitised to many of the darker longer running religious traditions such as ritualistic circumcision of Jewish boys, conveniently forgotten the likes of the Indulgences practised in the past by the Catholic Church, tolerated the treating of women as chattel by some sects of Islam etc.

Very well said sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

He's a pretty good actor but he's obviously not very good at the old marriage thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

He was brilliant in 'The Last Samurai', one of my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I remember hearing once that the rumours around hollywood are "he's not called Cruise for nothing...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I still like Tom and I don't care what any one else thinks.

His cameo in Tropic Thunder was absolute genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

dermiek wrote: »
    I remember hearing once that the rumours around hollywood are "he's not called Cruise for nothing...."
    Who cares if he's gay?

While I'd prefer to see someone of his profile be open and honest about his sexuality as it could help normalise society's attitude to sexual choices, I wouldn't condemn someone for staying in the closet if they believe coming out would damage their career. Let's face it, there's a significant number of homophobes amongst the right-wing of American Christians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement