Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Yeah it's a big let down. Not good news if they can't attract substantial international players. Hardly the developers fault, I suppose, I'm sure they would have loved to get Forever 21, etc. on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't really get how people were surprised with the tenants. It's well known that Forever 21 sales aren't going great. The units were to small for the likes of House of Fraser or Harvey Nicholas and then they were to large to attract a designer place such as you'd see in Kildare village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't really get how people were surprised with the tenants. It's well known that Forever 21 sales aren't going great. The units were to small for the likes of House of Fraser or Harvey Nicholas and then they were to large to attract a designer place such as you'd see in Kildare village.

Lifestyle was a little bit of a surprise I thought, but only because they have so many locations in Cork already, including their Patrick St one which is what, 30 seconds from this new one?

Homesense, I wasn't aware of as a brand until a few weeks ago so they wouldn't have been on my agenda but they make perfect sense IMO.

I think a lot of people hoped for Zara/Bershka, etc since they've been long rumoured to be eyeing up the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lifestyle was a little bit of a surprise I thought, but only because they have so many locations in Cork already, including their Patrick St one which is what, 30 seconds from this new one?

They are moving from Patrick Street to the Capitol.

Think people will be surprised how small the site actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I don't really care for Lifestyle or Homesense (although the latter does interest me a bit as it is something new). However, to be honest, regardless of whatever is in there, it will be a huge improvement. The building compared to the ugly, derelict, empty cinema looks amazing. It looks really modern while blending in very well. Also, the new stores will make the place feel more busy and lively. Obviously something like Lidl would've been terrible, but Lifestyle is popular (whether it is on here or not is another story) and Homesense is brand new to Ireland. The stores aren't even open yet and the place already feels more lively with the new signage, lighting and AlienVault! Which is another thing, the three office tenants are great. I still hope that Zara, Forever 21, Hollister or whatever come to the city. There are currently a bunch of vacant spaces on Patrick's Street (the old Gloria Jeans is to be done soon, that old suit store by Dunnes, and the buildings across the way from Starbucks and Merchant's Quay). Overall I am really really happy with the build and can't wait for it to be 100% done and open :D

Also, I don't understand the complaining about the signage of Homesense. It is almost identical to the Central Shoe Store signage. Sure there are stuff on the window but I assume that is just to block them as they are preparing inside, like how the rest of the building's windows are blocked with black card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

People need to be realistic about who goes into the Capitol.

If this was the 90s you would have had HMV or Virgin fighting over it.
    Ten years ago it probably would have been a flagship Vodafone store.

Currently, it's sports stores and discount retailers who have the budgets to take up such a large space.

I did hear that Zara had a look in there but apparently wanted a space further up Patrick's Street. Maybe they will take the Gloria Jeans spot that is being redeveloped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

How i miss HMV and Virgin.

I know we can stream media like that.

But i miss going into them stores for a look and finding the odd bargain.

I was in the HMV on oxford st there a few months ago and i ended up picking up a vinyl and book that you wont see anywhere else and for less then the online price for them :O.

Golden disks are just not the same and are so over priced 36 euros for a 4K blu ray ?. Go way if 25 i have no problem paying ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Not a bad view....

417715.jpg

417716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I always liked the top of the buildings in the city,they tell their own story.

If that new 40 storey building by Port of a Cork goes ahead, would be great to have a top floor viewing deck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Not a bad view....

417715.jpg

417716.jpg

First photo is fantastic

If that new 40 storey building by Port of a Cork goes ahead, would be great to have a top floor viewing deck :D
    It is to have a restaurant on the top floor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The shop front signage on Grande Parade is f**kin hideous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah looks poor and the capitol in small letters over a door very underwhelming and looking up at the top some of the windows are blocked on the right hand side upsets the symmetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Are there only two double doors in the entrance to this?? Thought they would have had a bigger entrance (like dunnes on patrick st) to cope with the amount of footfall. Seems very restrictive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Are there only two double doors in the entrance to this?? Thought they would have had a bigger entrance (like dunnes on patrick st) to cope with the amount of footfall. Seems very restrictive?

Those doors are for the office space only. I'm think there will be another entrance (or entrances) for the retail outlets, there definitely looks like there will be an entrance on the Patrick St. side.

There's two entrances on the Grand Parade side. One to the security desk and access to the office spaces. I think there is another entrance to Homesense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

There's two entrances on the Grand Parade side. One to the security desk and access to the office spaces. I think there is another entrance to Homesense.
    It looks Lifestyle won't have access from Grand Parade, just from Patrick st.?
    That's what it looks like right now. Makes a mockery of the original plans to link up the two streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So, the 'front' of the building on Grand Parade has one double door for the offices, one double doors for security and Home sense has its own entrance?? Am i reading that right? the 'main' entrance to the building is down the side street by burger king?

So you cant walk through the building/complex from one side to the other?? As MrTea says ..the streets wont be linked ?? thats crazy if true.

So, the 'front' of the building on Grand Parade has one double door for the offices, one double doors for security and Home sense has its own entrance?? Am i reading that right? the 'main' entrance to the building is down the side street by burger king?

So you cant walk through the building/complex from one side to the other?? As MrTea says ..the streets wont be linked ?? thats crazy if true.
    No, you pass through security to get to the offices logically. One door way.

• Advertisement

Looking at the building from Washington Street, there is the door on the far right for Homesense and the main door for the offices. However, there are also two double doors on the far left as well, I assume for Lifestyle. Plus the main doors on the Patrick Street side. You can kind of see the two for Lifestyle in this picture:

https://twitter.com/morganefitz/status/865897609877237760

Of the four 'sections' of the main facade on Grand Parade, all have doors bar one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Passed yesterday & the Homesense signage sticks out a bit much alright, still looking forward to it opening and having a nose around something new in the city!

https://twitter.com/Corks96FM/status/875284923028041729

Homense opened today at 10am. I would consider that a pretty big crowd considering the time and the fact it is Thursday. Judging off the comments and response on their Facebook page, people were very excited for it to open and are happy with it. It looks really good inside, I will have to go in next time I am around there.

No word on Lifestyle... I wonder if there opening will be as big considering it is just moving

A Homesense opened in Blanchardstown last week. I saw a video around the store online. It looked okay. Couldn't see any prices tough. Some of the stuff looked bulky for a city center store. If I'm being honest I never loved TKMaxx. But I'd have a look at it.

There is a walk through of the store on the RSVP Magazine Facebook page. I didn't realise it would be so big and have two floors. The prices looked pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Do you mean those lights which are meant to represent ship masts or whatever? If so, I agree,I used to think they didn't look too bad but now they look incredibly cheap and gimmicky, and as well they make the place seem cluttered from a distance, especially towards Merchant's Quay on Patrick's Street.

Hated them from the start. Like giant desk lamps from the bargain bucket at Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Looking forward to visiting the Capitol Centre. Hopefully it will breathe new life into the area.

Lifestyle Sports is open!
    20032018_10154744456382314_2533779064890621207_n.jpg?oh=c38999220f17b8ddb27c4a8dc5737543&oe=5A0D5D2E

19990367_10154744456372314_8560294796053975200_n.jpg?oh=fb7b2a3307e2918f65731df091e6f30e&oe=59FBD5C1

19905234_10154744456682314_5058979418594542875_n.jpg?oh=45df14c6e8b3974e0545f26c5518e89a&oe=5A11658B

19884028_10154744456637314_276811682965329873_n.jpg?oh=f7de670681c51a7464fdb40336690d58&oe=59FAF667

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

What's the Home Sense like? Is the quality of the stock good?

• Advertisement

What's the Home Sense like? Is the quality of the stock good?

From what I've heard it's like TKMaxx home wares! If you like that you might like it.

Advertisement