Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pa994

More stuff about this development in the Evening Echo today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Pa994 wrote: »
    More stuff about this development in the Evening Echo today

any links

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

hopefully no major delays passed the 14th of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

After walking around town yesterday trying to show off Cork, most defiantly think what they are planning for the site is rubbish, more shops is one thing that is not needed. We were there going right what will we do, we are talking within a nice walking distance. so the like of the butter market now were out. And strangely enough there was sweet f all to do... There was the park fine go watch people drinking in the park, there was the triskel which was closed so that was a no no and after that it was shops or pubs..

Did find that 7D cinema down the coal quay that was good for something new but that's it..Cork really needs something more than the same boring shops and food places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »
    After walking around town yesterday trying to show off Cork and most defiantly think what they are planning for the site is rubbish, more shops is one thing that is not needed. We were there going right what will we do, we are talking a nice walking distance. so the like of the butter market now were out. And strangely enough there was sweet f all to do... There was the park fine go watch people drinking in the park, there was the triskel which was closed so that was a no no and after that it was shops or pubs..

Did find that 7D cinema down the coal quay that was good for something new but that's it..Cork really needs something more than the same boring shops and food places

Milly, what is this pile of negativity about?

It's a city! You know what people like to do in cities? Eat, drink, shop, talk to eachother, culture etc.

The crawford is near there, completely free. Absolutely loads of other galleries around. And the opera house is a short walk. There's always stuff going on in the city library right across the street. There's the cornmarket street market over on the coal quay if it was a saturday. There's music up and down every which way in all the pubs and clubs.

You didn't want to walk to shandon street is it? Get on the hop-on hop-off bus. Fitzgerald park is available to you and is lovely, go for a walk on the marina. There's loads around.

Mother of jaysus, who whinges about everything not being in walking distance in other cities, like London? You get on the public transport and go there. Easy.

The english market is a massive tourist attraction, and is well used by the local population as well, so it's obviously doing something right! Why not have more food places... I've seen you moan as well that there are not enough food places and they are all boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

pwurple wrote: »
    Milly, what is this pile of negativity about?

It's a city! You know what people like to do in cities? Eat, drink, shop, talk to eachother, culture etc.

The crawford is near there, completely free. Absolutely loads of other galleries around. And the opera house is a short walk. There's always stuff going on in the city library right across the street. There's the cornmarket street market over on the coal quay if it was a saturday. There's music up and down every which way in all the pubs and clubs.

You didn't want to walk to shandon street is it? Get on the hop-on hop-off bus. Fitzgerald park is available to you and is lovely, go for a walk on the marina. There's loads around.

Mother of jaysus, who whinges about everything not being in walking distance in other cities, like London? You get on the public transport and go there. Easy.

The english market is a massive tourist attraction, and is well used by the local population as well, so it's obviously doing something right! Why not have more food places... I've seen you moan as well that there are not enough food places and they are all boring.

To be fair to Milly she said "yesterday" and posted today so im assuming it was a Sunday that she was in town. A lot of the places you mentioned are shut on a Sunday.

Jesus what side of the bed did you wake up on this morning...

All well and good but right you may think shopping and eating and drinking is great but not everyone thinks the same as you.

And really in fairness how many more shops does town need, The shops there aren't even surviving not to mind the restaurants so how is putting in more going to do anything for the city.. What moaning about restaurants I said there was a lack of nice Mexican places which now we have like 4 or 5 for them id hardly consider that a moan.

Walking down the marina really to what show them the Clarion wow amaze balls!! English market is closed on Sundays, and yes it is great to see, but I am talking some kinda of entertainment spot or something out of the norm. Like think box and then think out of the box. There is so much potential for something different to be done on the site and they are just sticking to the standard thing..

Believe me I have lived in cities where you have a happy medium of everything darling and by standards Cork is boring for anyone who doesn't like shopping and getting pissed.

Beautiful culture city fine but like if I was a visitor and popped into Cork for the day. I wouldn't be rushing back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Same side you did on Sunday I'd say :pac:
    All well and good but right you may think shopping and eating and drinking is great but not everyone thinks the same as you.

And really in fairness how many more shops does town need, The shops there aren't even surviving not to mind the restaurants so how is putting in more going to do anything for the city.. What moaning about restaurants I said there was a lack of nice Mexican places which now we have like 4 or 5 for them id hardly consider that a moan.

Walking down the marina really to what show them the Clarion wow amaze balls!! English market is closed on Sundays, and yes it is great to see, but I am talking some kinda of entertainment spot or something out of the norm. Like think box and then think out of the box. There is so much potential for something different to be done on the site and they are just sticking to the standard thing..

I see your point of view Mill, but at the same time, you've offered no solutions - if there's so many potential uses for that site then name them? Sustainable ideas that is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not jumping all over your case here but you go anywhere on a Sunday in Ireland barring maybe Dublin, and there isn't much to do barring grab a cuppa, take a look around the shops or take in the city. And even in Dublin, half the population heads to ikea on the Sabbath out of boredom. Your idea of 'take in the city' might be to do something like take in a museum, library etc. but even in European capitals, there's not much to do on Sundays.

If I'm bored on Sunday then I'll go to the beach, I'll go go-karting or something but I certainly wouldn't look to the city for things to do. Midweek stuff I have to look for. There's a massive issue with Cork not advertising events in the city - whazzon is disappointing at times. Cork City matches, gigs, promotional nights etc. - need to be advertised more - there's a huge gap there for a Cork City specific events app imo.
    Believe me I have lived in cities where you have a happy medium of everything darling and by standards Cork is boring for anyone who doesn't like shopping and getting pissed.

Fair enough, but I've visited cities much larger than Cork and found that Sunday is the universal day for fúck all happening. It's a day for making your own fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

But most people who live in and frequent the centre do so because they do want access to shopping, eating, drinking. What do you like Milly? It's difficult to ascertain, if indeed you like anything at all. Very glad you're not heading up the sports and social club at my company!!

I think there are some great shops in Cork. I personally love Prime Time, Amity and those little vintage shops in the Market. They're just the independent ones aswell, and there's always people in them when I'm there. I might go for a proper summer shop next week actually. In town. No imagination or choice in Mahon Point. It's all a bit sterile imo. If Cork had more little independent clothes, furniture, cosmetic, curio shops I would go to all of them too. The English Market is nothing short of a jewel in the crown of the city. I think we're probably over the quota for "Mexican places" now tbh...

For your own sanity I think you need to move. You obviously hate it here. You must have found somewhere better already since you're so well travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think there are some great shops in Cork. I personally love Prime Time, Amity and those little vintage shops in the Market. They're just the independent ones aswell, and there's always people in them when I'm there. I might go for a proper summer shop next week actually. In town. No imagination or choice in Mahon Point. It's all a bit sterile imo. If Cork had more little independent clothes, furniture, cosmetic, curio shops I would go to all of them too. The English Market is nothing short of a jewel in the crown of the city. I think we're probably over the quota for "Mexican places" now tbh...

QUOTE]

Where are all the Mexican restaurants???

leahyl wrote: »

QUOTE]

Where are all the Mexican restaurants???

Paul St, Washington St, Careys Lane, ask Milly for the rest, she's an expert.

I mentioned a lot more than shopping and eating... but I guess art, music, outdoors, architecture or culture don't it for you either?

There's a lorry load of people walking/running/rowing/swimming along the marina every day of the week, including Sunday because it is beautiful. The woods are all along the side, tree-lined avenue, and there's a lovely little market at the top of it, usually with some music, by blackrock pier. Absolutely stunning part of the city.

I barely even dare even suggest it, but there are also at least 20 choirs that I know of operating in the city on a Sunday in some ridiculously ornate surroundings... everything from american-style gospel music, to small 4 part vocal groups, to full on classical symphony choirs.

There's lorryloads of things to do around Cork on a Sunday... I find it hard to fit in all things we want to do, but as the astute poster above me said, "It's a day for making your own fun."

And quit dissing the pubs as pathetic piss-up spots as well. Many of them put on a huge effort around Cork. Quizzes, board games, crosswords on the table for you... sunday brunch, afternoon tea, music, comedy, sport, or good-old chatting to your friends. It's one of the things we are famous for in this country, and something I miss very much when I'm away. You don't have to drink a drop of alcohol to enjoy them.

And whatever the old capitol turns into, I'd be perfectly happy to see that closed on a Sunday as well.

Jes ye really do take things to heart..

I am saying that Cork could do with more than just shops, as ye have pointed out already it does have some gems of shops, I never debated that. I am just saying that it would be nice to see other things attracting people to the city or for those who don't like shopping something out of the norm might be nice.

Even if they had something like an old school cinema in there, it doesn't have to be as big as the old one, with something like a movie memorabilia shop or something catchy like that. Or even like that 7D place down on the coal quay, the man was attracting business in fairness to him something like that.

Will agree that the advertising or tourist information for the city is rubbish.. I see even there they are now doing Ghost tours of Cork but I haven't seen one thing mentioned about this through-out the city it was on grabone site... So how are people suppose to know about these things if they don't put them out there. Another one would even to have a section there devoted to Cork and showing how Cork was in the years when it was all water ways etc,

I don't hate Cork I just think you can offer people more than shops and pubs....

denhaagenite - I didn't say the shops were bad I just said there is enough of them, and those that are there are finding it hard to survive.. So why is adding more shops especially as I can only imagine the likes of the ones they are going to put in there (another version of mahon point shops) how do they expect the smaller shops to compete with them. Well soon be a town of every other day shops like TK Maxx and Starbucks.

I mentioned a lot more than shopping and eating... but I guess art, music, outdoors, architecture or culture don't it for you either?

There's a lorry load of people walking/running/rowing/swimming along the marina every day of the week, including Sunday because it is beautiful. The woods are all along the side, tree-lined avenue, and there's a lovely little market at the top of it, usually with some music, by blackrock pier. Absolutely stunning part of the city.

I barely even dare even suggest it, but there are also at least 20 choirs that I know of operating in the city on a Sunday in some ridiculously ornate surroundings... everything from american-style gospel music, to small 4 part vocal groups, to full on classical symphony choirs.

There's lorryloads of things to do around Cork on a Sunday... I find it hard to fit in all things we want to do, but as the astute poster above me said, "It's a day for making your own fun."

And quit dissing the pubs as pathetic piss-up spots as well. Many of them put on a huge effort around Cork. Quizzes, board games, crosswords on the table for you... sunday brunch, afternoon tea, music, comedy, sport, or good-old chatting to your friends. It's one of the things we are famous for in this country, and something I miss very much when I'm away. You don't have to drink a drop of alcohol to enjoy them.

And whatever the old capitol turns into, I'd be perfectly happy to see that closed on a Sunday as well.

Your talking about things that would have to be planned! Im talking about going into town on one day, even as a passing visitor. You wouldn't say oh yes Ill go rowing down the marina in Blackrock!! or wow maybe ill go to see a gospel choir.. They are different things altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ncur wrote: »

I don't think that's an awful lot of choice - café Mexicana is awful. Haven't been to the other two so can't comment but there's plenty of room for more Mexican restaurants in my opinion.....anyway I'm off topic so

Your talking about things that would have to be planned! Im talking about going into town on one day, even as a passing visitor. You wouldn't say oh yes Ill go rowing down the marina in Blackrock!! or wow maybe ill go to see a gospel choir.. They are different things altogether

Eh, how do you normally "plan" walking into a church? Go to the front door, open it, sit da fook down. No planning required.

You can hire a boat or there are tours you can jump on without booking. Cork Harbour cruise, cork sea safari, I think the sextant does something with boats.

And I don't know what planning you need to go for a walk. Booking a meeting with yourself or something? It's only a stroll like...

Your arthouse cinema thing is fairly niche, but I don't think the city is lacking them either. If you want to lock yourself into a darkened room and watch a film, there are loads of places to do that as well.

I dunno Milly, seems more like you suffer from a terminal lack of imagination rather than something the city is lacking.

ps, people are fairly likely to be touchy about the city on a forum for Cork City!

pps I agree, more food places required! Including mexican.

Jesus Pwurple your actually coming across like something I am not going to say, actually no im not saying it.

I have a great sense of imagination... I said we were in town on a Sunday and we couldnt think of or find anything to do and you took what you wanted from that....I will admit I don't go wondering around town with a fecking pocket guide to Cork in it but then it doesn't advertise anything in town either. Cork city is actually lacking a good cinema if your into movies... Were not all impressed by the run of the mill things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

So... Came here looking for info about the Capital Cinema. I guess there's no news. Last I heard, they were going to build another food market. Cool by me.

haha sure there is no cinema anymore haha....

Jesus Pwurple your actually coming across like something I am not going to say, actually no im not saying it.

I have a great sense of imagination... I said we were in town on a Sunday and we couldnt think of or find anything to do and you took what you wanted from that....I will admit I don't go wondering around town with a fecking pocket guide to Cork in it but then it doesn't advertise anything in town either. Cork city is actually lacking a good cinema if your into movies... Were not all impressed by the run of the mill things...

C'mere, if you can't think of something to do in any city, you have to look it up. Most people have a phone or something. We've all been around other cities. I could pop out of a random tube stop in london or wander into bristol or get off a tram in amsterdam and the vast majority of the time there's not something immediately visible.

I've made loads of suggestions for next time for you, but you've pooped on the lot of them.

Arthouse cinema is not popular here, I don't know why, but I can point to a lot of failures. The Kino, the ritz (aka the classic)... and the triskel doesn't run much, so you're left with mainstream. If you see a gap though, go for it!

a brunch in the bodega is lovely on a sunday. im not a fan of the place for a night out but I do like there for sunday brunch with the jazz music. its something different for eating out in town a nice relaxing atmosphere and during the day you get to appricate the building on the inside. cork has some fabulous buildings if they were restored like that. a few more places would do with been open in town on a sunday ill admit that. you could also get some of the city bikes and take a cycle round the city like out to UCC to the quad, cycle back to town via Finbars cathedral, spin down by fitzgerald park. just need to sit down and think about things. The weather yesterday would have been lovely for the bikes. might as well avail of the cycle lanes sure didn't your taxes pay for them

It might be an idea to reserve some affordable space for innovative start up companies though, get a bit of young blood into the city. As long as they learn from the success of Opera Lane, which is thriving, I think it will go well. That's a nice mix of shops, offices, apartments, lots of cafes in the area, even a studio.

I think the old buildings over by the bus station (think a sports shop was in one of them) are been ear marked as some sort of a set up hub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ncur wrote: »

Siesta on Princess St. About time we had some decent Mexican offerings after the years of dross from Cafe Mexicana.

C'mere, if you can't think of something to do in any city, you have to look it up. Most people have a phone or something. We've all been around other cities. I could pop out of a random tube stop in london or wander into bristol or get off a tram in amsterdam and the vast majority of the time there's not something immediately visible.

I've made loads of suggestions for next time for you, but you've pooped on the lot of them.

Read back I didn't diss (or poop as you so nicely put it) anything except for going for a walk to see the clarion hotel.. I said that there was nothing I could think of again on a Sunday in town, and you went off with a verbal, sad rant of waffle, waffle, waffle.......

Don't be so quick to jump down peoples throat.And believe it or not some people don't have phones that you can look stuff up on they just have a phone to make calls from so things like visitor information or signage is a big thing..

Yes having a few open shops would be a great idea.. See something different maybe a good space for some pop up stores of a different kinda...

And believe it or not some people don't have phones that you can look stuff up on they just have a phone to make calls from so things like visitor information or signage is a big thing..

So, you're telling you don't have internet access to look stuff up. Via a message board? :pac:

I love the bike idea above, another great one for you. Bike out to fitgerald park for a picnic. Flat the whole way. Take a bounce on the old shakey bridge. Would be gorgeous!

• Advertisement

Siesta on Princess St. About time we had some decent Mexican offerings after the years of dross from Cafe Mexicana.

Flip sakes thought I had put that second but must have copied and pasted El Mercado's link twice!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Siesta/861634317193406

Advertisement