Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just to add: the butter museum is about 7 minutes walk from Patrick's Street (less from Patrick's bridge end).
    Closed on a Sunday, afaik, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

pwurple wrote: »
    C'mere, if you can't think of something to do in any city, you have to look it up. Most people have a phone or something. We've all been around other cities. I could pop out of a random tube stop in london or wander into bristol or get off a tram in amsterdam and the vast majority of the time there's not something immediately visible.

I've made loads of suggestions for next time for you, but you've pooped on the lot of them.

Arthouse cinema is not popular here, I don't know why, but I can point to a lot of failures. The Kino, the ritz (aka the classic)... and the triskel doesn't run much, so you're left with mainstream. If you see a gap though, go for it!

Just to note on the arthouse cinema front, there is an active film scene in Cork. Triskel will have a different selection every week. great for a midweek night. Camden Palace also do an arthouse night, plus there are plenty of nights put on by local filmmakers around the place.

The reason why the Kino shut was sadly due to Mahon Point outbidding them for the more popular indie films when they opened first. Once the programme in the Kino suffered, it was on its way out. Most depressingly Omniplex's indie arthouse selection reduced dramatically once the kino closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Just to note on the arthouse cinema front, there is an active film scene in Cork. Triskel will have a different selection every week. great for a midweek night. Camden Palace also do an arthouse night, plus there are plenty of nights put on by local filmmakers around the place.

The reason why the Kino shut was sadly due to Mahon Point outbidding them for the more popular indie films when they opened first. Once the programme in the Kino suffered, it was on its way out. Most depressingly Omniplex's indie arthouse selection reduced dramatically once the kino closed.

+1, and tbh I noticed the closing of the Kino coincidentally happened around the time The Model in Sligo was opening. It's a lovely place but just a total money pit and very obviously diverting funding from other, more established venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

pwurple wrote: »
    So, you're telling you don't have internet access to look stuff up. Via a message board? :pac:

No don't know what made you think I did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

One thing worth pointing out is that the bike scheme thus far, has to be seen as a large success for the city.

Being able to stroll around the city, then pop out the road to UCC & Fitzgerald park or to parts of town once requiring a relatively lengthy stroll, is massive with regard to those looking to see as much of the city as possible.

Mill - to repeat, I think your problem is the day of the week. Triskel shows small scale movies / art house productions but mainly during the week. One thing worth looking at is the meetup app (it's red & white if that helps) but events hosted in Cork are put up and you can add calendar events from it etc. on the more social side of things i.e. events then I still think there is a large gap there for a Cork events app to cover sporting events, music, theatre - everything from local sports clubs like GAA teams, rugby teams etc. - if there was a good game on down the road from me I'd pop to it!

With regard to businesses popping up - I think you need to see growth in a city before we will see more startups. Additionally, we're still coming out of a bad economic situation, people who wish to open new businesses may not be in a financial position to pursue their dreams just yet. The growth of Cork via Citygate, Alberts Quay and other businesses bringing workers in, increasing the population of the city will bring about growth, part of that initial growth is companies such as Superdry, Pennys, Topman etc. - the global multinationals coming in and drawing traffic to the city centre. If we can have a busier city centre then the risk of failure on startups should subside at least a small bit. That's how I view it at least.

• Advertisement

It is great seeing the bikes being used. Alright they seem to be very popular, a lot of people seem to be using them which is good news... Oh yeah I get it, it was Sunday in town wurple is just, ill leave it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »
    wurple is just, ill leave it there

What am I Milly?

Fabulously good looking is what you meant to say I reckon. Shucks. :D

nope sounds nothing like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ok guys, enough of the bickering

Yes lets act like grown ups that some of us are wurple..haha only messing all is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is great seeing the bikes being used. Alright they seem to be very popular, a lot of people seem to be using them which is good news...
    Found one of them locked up outside work in Mahon yesterday, I hope the renter knew how much it costs!

Ouch that is going to hurt, well that is it belongs to the person who chained it up. I know when you get the cards you sign it saying that if the bike is damaged or you decide to nick it they can take €400 me thinks from your card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

TheChizler wrote: »
    Found one of them locked up outside work in Mahon yesterday, I hope the renter knew how much it costs!

I often see them up by blackrock castle, chained up while people eat. I think it's 6.50 for 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Back on topic please boys & girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Decision due on this tomorrow. Looks to me like they will request further information.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/decision-expected-on-capitol-development-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Decision due on this tomorrow. Looks to me like they will request further information.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/decision-expected-on-capitol-development-plan/

I'd imagine a further info request is likely given the size of the application.

I'd also be concerned about an appeal to An Bord Pleanála. I was looking at the submissions and while most said they were in favour a few had some tricky questions. The owners of the Burger King building have issues about their side of the laneway. One of the English Market stallholders is objecting and he could easily appeal and stall the project for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Open by November 2016 if it goes ahead....that's a ridiculous turnaround time, but as mentioned, there's surely be delays

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Where can one view the submissions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Michael.. wrote: »
    Where can one view the submissions ??

On the Cork City planning website planning.corkcity.ie

Further information has been requested, which isn't unexpected or unreasonable given the scale and impact of the development. Hopefully all the issues can be ironed out. With the haste to get this show on the road, it's worth getting it right too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Further information has been requested, which isn't unexpected or unreasonable given the scale and impact of the development. Hopefully all the issues can be ironed out. With the haste to get this show on the road, it's worth getting it right too.

Ya nothing wrong with sacrificing a few months to get it right. Especially given its location and what it will (hopefully) do for that area of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Looking at the planning file online it seems they have asked for further information on one issue so far and that is waste management.
    Seems like it might be straightforward enough to comply with, but what do I know.

A decision on this, after some further information and changes, is due in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The artist impressions look fantastic...like something you'd see in Convent Garden or Bond Street in London - I hope it gets the go ahead!

A new view of the Patrick Street side. Interesting way of dealing with the blank wall at Burger King which was one of the big problems with the last application.
    ps1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

They are going to create a laneway there so as I don't think one exists now although there is a gate at that side of bk.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

ofcork wrote: »
    They are going to create a laneway there so as I don't think one exists now although there is a gate at that side of bk.

There is a lane there, Meat Market lane, it's where the vineyard and oyster tavern were. Theres just a building covering the front of the laneway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

I was often in the oyster or worlds end as it was later now you say it that was the way in alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

calnand wrote: »
    There is a lane there, Meat Market lane, it's where the vineyard and oyster tavern were. Theres just a building covering the front of the laneway.

Is that not on the left side of Burker King?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Is that not on the left side of Burker King?

No, there is a laneway there, on the right of Burger King. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3ff2fa6c73&view=att&th=14ec63380bc003aa&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=GoogleEarth_Image.jpg&zw

The metal gate in the Google Earth image closes off that laneway at night, during the day you can go down it into the English Market. It's not closed over to the sky except at the front.

Advertisement