Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

An Taisce and one the stall holders in the market have lodged the appeals.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/heritage-body-and-english-market-trader-lodge-capitol-appeals/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pitcairn wrote: »
    An Taisce and one the stall holders in the market have lodged the appeals.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/heritage-body-and-english-market-trader-lodge-capitol-appeals/

Well it was a banker that An Taisce would appeal. According to the article they are concerned about the height of the development! There seems to be a massive fear about big buildings in Ireland. Surprised to see a market trader appealing. C. 4 months for it to go through the An Bord Pleanala process. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭cgcsb

An Taisce have been a key part of Dublin's housing crisis, anything that isn't mock Georgian gets objected to while human beings have to commute from Kildare or sleep on the streets. Have they not done enough damage? should there be restrictions placed on their serial objecting? perhaps limit the number they're allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I'm confused...
    In the reporting of this delay, an English Market trader is mentioned as being one of the appellants. However, an objection from this person does not appear to have been made at local level. As far as I'm aware, one must first make a submission at the local level to be permitted to appeal the decision to An Bord Pleanala. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Shame about the delay. It's only 4 months though, chances are the story that they were going to start "in weeks" was a bit of an exaggeration anyway. It'll all work out in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Yeah, they probably had factored in a likely appeal to ABP, although I didn't see any submissions from traders in the English Market to Cork City Council.

It's a shame - Grand Parade is a wide street and the location at the junction with Washington St allows for a reasonably tall building. I think it will look ok. The events centre is a far more imposing building.

• Advertisement

I'm confused...
    In the reporting of this delay, an English Market trader is mentioned as being one of the appellants. However, an objection from this person does not appear to have been made at local level. As far as I'm aware, one must first make a submission at the local level to be permitted to appeal the decision to An Bord Pleanala. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Shame about the delay. It's only 4 months though, chances are the story that they were going to start "in weeks" was a bit of an exaggeration anyway. It'll all work out in the end!

There are exceptions to the rule. A person with an interest in lands or a site adjoining the development can make an application to appeal to ABP without a prior submission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Bertie Ahern once said "his greatest regret while in Government was that he did'nt abolish An Tasice, for once I'm in agreement with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

roundymac wrote: »
    Bertie Ahern once said "his greatest regret while in Government was that he did'nt abolish An Tasice, for once I'm in agreement with him.

Yeah, that'd be great. Inspirational stuff.

In other words, Bertie's builder friends would benefit from a nice and easy ride through the world of planning, allowing their substandard and poor quality developments everywhere. With no dissenting voices. Because we all know that Bertie doesn't like dissenting voices...whingers he called them, suggested they all committed suicide.

There's a role for organisations like An Taisce. In fact, it's essential that they exist and offer an opposing view. (In this case though they don't actually object to the development in principle and are quite complimentary towards it). I suspect and hope this scheme gets permission, and it is a pity it was delayed, but we live in a democracy.

BTW, should Superfruit 'be abolished'?

I'm confused...

That market trader Michael Corrigan did make a submission at a local level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mire wrote: »
    In other words, ........
    No, not in other words. Just those words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭cgcsb

mire wrote: »
    Yeah, that'd be great. Inspirational stuff.

In other words, Bertie's builder friends would benefit from a nice and easy ride through the world of planning, allowing their substandard and poor quality developments everywhere. With no dissenting voices. Because we all know that Bertie doesn't like dissenting voices...whingers he called them, suggested they all committed suicide.

There's a role for organisations like An Taisce. In fact, it's essential that they exist and offer an opposing view. (In this case though they don't actually object to the development in principle and are quite complimentary towards it). I suspect and hope this scheme gets permission, and it is a pity it was delayed, but we live in a democracy.

BTW, should Superfruit 'be abolished'?

you have a point but an taisce don't object on the basis that apartments might be 'low quality' they object because of 'height' and 'character' and 'vistas'. There are now rules governing the minimum standard of apartments.

That market trader Michael Corrigan did make a submission at a local level.

I don't see it on the city council website. However, as we've seen, there are exceptions to the rule anyway.

I don't see it on the city council website. However, as we've seen, there are exceptions to the rule anyway.

He's there alright. He was one of 11 submissions.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewObjectorDetails.asp?page_num=0&file_number=1536340

An Bord Pleanála have also put up the date for the appeal decision. January 4th. Of course that could get pushed back.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/245371.htm

Well spotted! So not all of the submissions are available to read online then? I was going by the submissions available to view.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/idocs/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=1536340

Well spotted! So not all of the submissions are available to read online then? I was going by the submissions available to view.

The planning website is a nightmare to use. You have to use some weird plugin to view the scanned documents and then have to click through each one to find the various submissions and drawings.

All applications and submissions should be done electronically and online raher than on paper.

The planning website is a nightmare to use. You have to use some weird plugin to view the scanned documents and then have to click through each one to find the various submissions and drawings.

All applications and submissions should be done electronically and online raher than on paper.

Or they should use PDFs like the rest of the world. Not an obscure programme that hasn't been updated by its own developers since 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I'd love to have a walk around in there before the cinema is demolished, just to relive old memories, loved going to the Cineplex, was going there since I was a kid. Even though I'd imagine it's just full of rats and pigeons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭thomil

Sorry for pulling this thread out of the morgue, but An Board Pleanála have upheld the planning permission for the Capitol redevelopment, according to the Evening Echo:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/capitol-cinema-redevelopment-granted-planning-permission/1365509/

Nice christmas present for the city in my eyes! :)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wish they'd try and keep the old facade on the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

thomil wrote: »
    Sorry for pulling this thread out of the morgue, but An Board Pleanála have upheld the planning permission for the Capitol redevelopment, according to the Evening Echo:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/capitol-cinema-redevelopment-granted-planning-permission/1365509/

Nice christmas present for the city in my eyes! :)

Great news!

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Really? It's am awful looking building with no redeeming qualities IMHO.

?width=500&version=2002597

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I was thinking the same thing until I passed it today and had a good look at it while sitting in traffic. It's actually not a very nice looking building on the front at all, it's just a nostalgic memory of it being this classic old type theatre. It's actually quite ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Really? It's am awful looking building with no redeeming qualities IMHO.

?width=500&version=2002597

It's feckin brutal. Can't wait till its gone.

It's feckin brutal. Can't wait till its gone.
    The most recent 'upgrade' (1980s?) has made it look awful. The original was much nicer, judging by old photos.
    The sooner it goes the better. Great news for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Ah well you should have been around to see the original facade which in my view had much more class look than the Capitol Cineplex design when the more modern cinema complex re-opened in August 1989. I felt the place had lost it's soul and got quite grubby after a few years. In the '70s to early '80s I can vaguely remember the cinema was a more glamorous affair as the Chief Usher used be smartly dressed in a suit with trill
    It took me quite a while to source the older visual image of the Capitol Cinema pre Cineplex era and I think the below image is a still from RTÉ Television from 1982.

Capitol Cinema Cork in 1982 below here ("Capitol" sign lettering on the exterior façade of the building used light up in green usually after dark in those days)

https://img.rasset.ie/000b546e-1500.jpg

RTÉ VIDEO FILM FOOTAGE - (Copy and Paste this link into address bar at top)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1028/738052-cork-film-festival-hits-tough-times/

In fact the very first movie which I ever watched in any cinema was in the old Capitol Cinema on Grand Parade back in 1977 (my eldest sister brought me and my sister to the very 1st original "STAR WARS" film when I was just 6 years old) and there was only two screens in this building namely:

Capitol
    Mini Capitol

11 Things We No Longer See At The Movies
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/52164/11-things-we-no-longer-see-movie-theaters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It be nice if they kept the clock and added it into the new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I usually like to see an impressive functioning Clock mounted on the exterior façade of some major buildings such as at key road junctions. However; the clock on that Capitol Cineplex was often allowed to be wrong or stall altogether even when the cinema was fully operational. I'd also like to be able to know the exact hour and minute on a clock if possible.

Speaking of public clocks - the James Mangan clock situated on Patrick Street just outside Merchants Quay Shopping Centre which was once opposite James Mangan's jewellery store (it closed when they demolished buildings to make way for Merchants Quay Shopping Centre which opened around 1988) The time indicated on Mangan's clock has been incorrect for a good while now which is very disappointing. Surely Cork City Council could come up with a viable solution when the clocks go back in October or go forward in March.

• Advertisement

It's an awful-looking clock and, as we've seen, not original and about 25 years old.
    I'm all for retaining old (and not so old but good quality) street fronts. This, in my humble view, is neither.
    Knock it, build again and build better. I woudn't say that about many major buildings in Cork city but this one for sure.

Advertisement