Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Country

• 29-12-2011 4:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just a quick question about moving country and having 2 dogs. I'm awaiting a reply from a job application in Malta and if I was to be successful me and the OH will be bringing our 2 dogs (Newfoundland and Collie X).

Does anyone here have any experience in doing such travels? I phoned Air Malta and they only allow 1 dog to travel at a time which is kind of frustrating but not as frustrating as Ryanair not allowing any domestic animals to travel.

The only other option I can see is taking the boat over and driving the whole way. This is a huge inconvenience as finding dog friendly hotels along the way will not be easy. Sleeping in the car with the dogs is an option but not one I'm really looking at.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Could you & your OH travel over on 2 seperate flights & take a doggy each?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Hi

My parents drive to malta every summer with our two dogs! They usually go Ireland to the UK, tunnel to France and then down through France/Switzerland/Italy, ferry to Sicily and ferry to Malta! It is expensive but my mam said they have never had any trouble finding a vet for check ups before entering Malta or coming back to Ireland (both countries are rabies free so the dogs need to be checked before entering). Hotels on the continent are a lot more dog friendly than Ireland. My parents have never slept in the car! Most of the hotel chains (Ibis, B&B etc) accept dogs.

The other option is fly luftansa from Dublin to Frankfurt and then Air Malta to Malta. Air Malta no longer fly from Ireland and luftansa are the only airline operating out of Dublin that will carry dogs (in the cabin). My parents are looking into flying with the dogs next year to cut down on the driving.

If you've any questions, feel free to send me a PM and I can ask my parents!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

myxi wrote: »
    Hi

My parents drive to malta every summer with our two dogs! They usually go Ireland to the UK, tunnel to France and then down through France/Switzerland/Italy, ferry to Sicily and ferry to Malta! It is expensive but my mam said they have never had any trouble finding a vet for check ups before entering Malta or coming back to Ireland (both countries are rabies free so the dogs need to be checked before entering). Hotels on the continent are a lot more dog friendly than Ireland. My parents have never slept in the car! Most of the hotel chains (Ibis, B&B etc) accept dogs.

The other option is fly luftansa from Dublin to Frankfurt and then Air Malta to Malta. Air Malta no longer fly from Ireland and luftansa are the only airline operating out of Dublin that will carry dogs (in the cabin). My parents are looking into flying with the dogs next year to cut down on the driving.

If you've any questions, feel free to send me a PM and I can ask my parents!

Thanks for that. Very informative post. I'll probably PM you over the next few days if that's ok just with a question or two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Thanks for that. Very informative post. I'll probably PM you over the next few days if that's ok just with a question or two more.

No problem at all!

Advertisement