Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Naming Vet Clinic

• 29-12-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

A friend of mine is starting a new small animal clinic in a small provinical town in Ireland. They have asked me to help with coming up with a name for it.

Here is the shortlist so far;

A Country Practice - Small Animal Vet Clinic

Premier Vetcare / PetCare

"Name of Town" Vet Clinic

"Name of Street" Vet Clinic

"Surname" Vet Clinic

Advanced PetCare / VetCare

Ormond Vet Clinic (Historical Name of Area)

Just looking for some feedback / opinions,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bawn79 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is starting a new small animal clinic in a small provinical town in Ireland. They have asked me to help with coming up with a name for it.

"Surname" Vet Clinic

Thanks in advance

Don't like the 2 i've highlighted, they just seem too...errr.....corporate??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

bawn79 wrote: »

"Surname" Vet Clinic

Thanks in advance

Keep it simple - people will be more likely to find you and remember the name! The two I have highlighted are good ones (Ormond... Kilkenny, no?) and, if it is a small town, it would be best to name it after the town so that it has a self explanatory location but still sounds professional. Just make sure there isn't one with the same/very similar name in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I assume from the reference to both Premier and Ormond that you are near the Nenagh area?
    I don't particularly like "localised" names as they suggest "small town" to me. Whereas the name Advanced Pet Care/Vet Care suggests a progressive practice with ultra-modern qualifications and equipment.
    Best of luck with the business:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I'd go for the "street name".

That is the vet name I go to in my town.

The other vet in my town had a big revamp a while ago - fancy new name, decor, website, etc. I wasn't swayed by it. I have even heard he might be cheaper but I have been going to my vets for years & I am happy with the service.

A name is important but its really the service at the end of the day that matters.

paultf wrote: »
    I'd go for the "street name".

That is the vet name I go to in my town.

The other vet in my town had a big revamp a while ago - fancy new name, decor, website, etc. I wasn't swayed by it. I have even heard he might be cheaper but I have been going to my vets for years & I am happy with the service.

A name is important but its really the service at the end of the day that matters.

That's very true and I travel 45 miles to a vet that I have used for years and, even though I moved to a new town and there are good vets here, I still go to my tried and tested practice.
    But the point in this thread is the best name for a NEW practice and, I suppose, until its gets a chance to prove itself, it will have to have a name that will attract and appeal to people.
    I wouldn't be swayed by a big re-vamp or new decor either, but if a new practice hopes to succeed I guess the first thing a person will see is the name they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Shazanne wrote: »
    I assume from the reference to both Premier and Ormond that you are near the Nenagh area?
    I don't particularly like "localised" names as they suggest "small town" to me. Whereas the name Advanced Pet Care/Vet Care suggests a progressive practice with ultra-modern qualifications and equipment.
    Best of luck with the business:)
    On the other hand some people like the "small town" approach. It depends on the community, a name like Advanced Pet Care could put them off as it sounds rather sterile and corporate. I know it'd rather go to the 'small town vet that cares'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Most of the vet clinics i can think of offhand are named after the area or the surname of the vet. Chains of clinics e.g Anicare or Active vetcare have multiple practices. So if its just one practice id go for a more personalised name like "Ormond" as you suggested. Tbh it wouldnt really matter as long as they're good.Their reputation will matter more than what they're called imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Thanks to everyone for the help so far, I'll pass it on to my friend.

Any other suggestions would be great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Small town name is best but it does give marketing problems if you open a second practice. The superb Barna Veterinary Clinic opened a new branch in Moycullen & obviously couldn't use the Barna name. A contrasting approach was taken by The Ark in Galway as they can open branches & keep the name.

But the priority with a sick animal will tend to mean as short a journey as possible so a local town name becomes favourable. So how about combining the two by having name "of" town name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I like small town names too, and don't like the "vet care" "animal care" options. As a customer you're hardly going to say : "I'm taking goofy to the vet care centre". It just sounds more natural and clearer to talk about some name more specific : a person's name, or area name.

The vets I bring my cat to are called "name of town vet clinic" or "name of town animal hospital" can't even remember, but everyone I know refers to it as "name of road vets". Plus "name of road vets" is way easier to remember if you mention the name to a cattery/kennels owner for example, and it will immediately give them a clue to whereabouts in that town it might be (my cat summer nanny lives quite a bit away for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

My friend went with A Country Practice in the end.

Its a small animal vet clinic in Co. Tipperary.

Lovely choice! Not "small town" and not over the top!
    Best wishes to your friend with the business:)

Advertisement