Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All hell has broken lose here again, very heavy sleet, it is strange to look at, the winds and gusts appear to be going in two different direction, on one side of field gusts coming from the left and on the other it came from the right. I was just getting some sleep from last nights all nighter and got woken by an all mighty bang of thunder, I must be right under it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭John.Icy

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Why would u call it the dublin storm if the west got most hit :rolleyes:

Casement had a Max gust of 62 last night, second highest gust in Ireland on the 6am report. Besides the major differences from Donegal, Max gusts were not too dissimilar from west to east, granted it was the squall, and I've only seen a handful of wind speeds from the west on here such as DE recording 53kts, another galway poster
    , sligo airport and Knock. No major differences, from what I know.

In terms of Max gusts, an almost Countrywide event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pangea wrote: »
    All hell has broken lose here again, very heavy sleet, it is strange to look at, the winds and gusts appear to be going in two different direction, on one side of field gusts coming from the left and on the other it came from the right. I was just getting some sleep from last nights all nighter and got woken by an all mighty bang of thunder, I must be right under it!

Looks good up there, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Temps starting to drop now, approx .2 degrees every 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pics from @NEWSLINEWEATHER account. Worth a follow if you are on Twitter.

Kilcorig rd, Lisburn. Picture from Anna Haslett via Twitter
    488204199.jpg
    Ballintoy Harbour. Pic by Cathy Clark, from Ballycastle via Twitter
    488177563.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still alive up here on the NW coast! Turns out I was actually safer here than if I'd been in Letterkenny, neighbour called to say a 30 foot tree in the back garden blew over narrowly avoiding crashing through the roof of the house. Some minor damage to the house and a fence and gate destroyed but nothing too major luckily.

Worst night here in quite a few years though, not quite the 98 storm but probably the worst since then. I'm only out of bed 2 hours after the all nighter last night so not had a chance to survey the damage locally yet. Electricity back though so fair play to the ESB for working through the storm in darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Siobhan Ryan of Met Eireann was on mid west radio saying that a 'mini' low will continue to keep things windy today???

During the squall last night, both Casement and Dublin airport gusted to Storm force 11 territory(62&58 kts). It's no Malin head, but very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    During the squall last night, both Casement and Dublin airport gusted to Storm force 11 territory(62&58 kts). It's no Malin head, but very impressive.

that squall ploughed through here early this morning, with 70 +mm/hr rain rates and the wind was literally roaring when i stuck my head out the window. Bins and all sorts were crashing down the street. Alarms were going off left , right and centre too. Was actually frightening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A real strong jet stream moving over the country in the next few days.

Is going to pick up again tomorrow afternoon and evening, in a strong gale force WNW wind. Winds won't be as extreme in as we have seen in the northwest. But i actually anticipate the gale may be felt more widespread across the country with sustained 30-40KT gusting 50-60KT quite widely.

JetStream

Rtavn3014.png

925hpa Winds (Tomorrow Evening)

Rtavn3013.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Pics form stormy scotland here

Last picture in this lot has a wind turbine exploding

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16094360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

In the top centre of the satellite shot posted above you can see two contrails from aircraft, very cool!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bigus wrote: »

Not sure if you are aware but those pictures are from December 8th.

pad199207 wrote: »
    that squall ploughed through here early this morning, with 70 +mm/hr rain rates and the wind was literally roaring when i stuck my head out the window. Bins and all sorts were crashing down the street. Alarms were going off left , right and centre too. Was actually frightening!

Which is why I think your reading of 48km/h is abit behind there paddy. :D

Havn't noticed much in my area yet. Farmer across the road cut down all his old tree's for Katia back in 2011, so there isn't much scope in terms of fallen tree's. My compost bin did find itself at the wrong side of my garden though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    pad199207 wrote: »

Which is why I think your reading of 48km/h is abit behind there paddy. :D

Havn't noticed much in my area yet. Farmer across the road cut down all his old tree's for Katia back in 2011, so there isn't much scope in terms of fallen tree's. My compost bin did find itself at the wrong side of my garden though. :pac:
    Has baffled me too icy , but I think winds were more wnw that time and so station was shadowed by house :)

Looks like the centre of the comma coming into the northwest can be seen just north of Belmullet atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

some really strong gusts again now almost as strong as last night and had a snow flurry about half an hour ago.

Wind increasing abit in the west

Belmullet W 35 Gust 59
    Mace Head 41 Gust 60

Heavy hail here and the wind has really picked up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

webradar2201201031630.png

This little squall line just took out a few wheelie bins on our street in Limerick.. a serious wind came up out of nowhere, as was calm enough beforehand, be careful if you've to drive through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Some aircraft & wind related insanity. Trying to land sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heavy sleet and very strong winds for last ten minutes here in Meath. One bolt of lightning too which wasn't expected at all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

was outside repositioning the wind sensor (still not working :( ) when i noticed this!!!!

thank God the wind was blowing away from the house:eek:

Oak tree landed on a bus in England, driver seriously injured but only two passengers on board and neither injured thankfully

article-2081141-0F540B3000000578-552_634x431.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ch750536 wrote: »
    Some aircraft & wind related insanity. Trying to land sideways.

There was probably a few gasps and hearts in mouths on that flight! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wind just picked up ALOT again here now and rain pouring down... wait ... i rephrase that... Pouring SIDEWAYS! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bigus wrote: »

Last picture in this lot has a wind turbine exploding

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16094360

You wanted this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Really picked up here in N Dub.

Blowing a gale outside with some sideways rain accompanying it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Violent gusts here in west dublin with a shower of rain and hail. Tiles off the roof across the road.... it is now way worse than earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow ghost wrote: »
    There was probably a few gasps and hearts in mouths on that flight! :eek:

i can imagine.

btw, any one want to bet that squall line will vanish before it reaches cork city :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite stormy here now with that squall. Sheets of sleety rain.

Quite gusy out there in a haily squall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

Would it be advisable not to drive down the N4 and M4 towards Dublin today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Anyone who is knowledgable about such things as chart reading and those metar things for the airport know is Dublin airport ok for the morning? Hit a lot of turbulence going to Portugal with Ryanair and not that fond of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hmm wonder if that squall line will make it as far as wexford before dissipating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

Winds picking up here on dublin southside, no sidewards rain yet but i'm waiting patiently :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure if you are aware but those pictures are from December 8th.

oops :eek: sorry ... still good pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Check out the video of a wheelie bin taking itself for a drive in Glasgow:

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

There was one worse there than this mornings shennanigans tought my tree and aerials were done for one of my antennas has a 30 degree bend on it now :(

But I still love you mother nature you keep me entertained like no tv show can:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Not so much driving as going down skid row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is there a Greenland express heading down form Greenland towards us at the moment? Check out sat24.com

see that. maybe bring some snow :D

looks like the squall line is gonna reach cork after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2012/Jan/Week1/16141511.jpg

Spot the......??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

was awake through all the storm last nite , defo by far the worst wind and rain ive heard in years.. maybe the worst ever even !! lots of flooding and trees down today..
    now hopefully a decent shot of cold will be next on the cards !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

Anyone who is knowledgable about such things as chart reading and those metar things for the airport know is Dublin airport ok for the morning? Hit a lot of turbulence going to Portugal with Ryanair and not that fond of it...

I'm not claiming any great knowledge, but this report suggests gusts of up to 37Knots are expected between 6am and midday tomorrow. I find taking off is generally "less exciting" in bad weather than landing. I'd be more concerned about the conditions en-route tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement