Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Refuse Collection in Kilkenny City

Options
  • 29-12-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Its that time of year when lots of us are faced with paying for the next 12 months refuse collection. I did some shopping around today & said I'd share my findings with you boardsies! There are significant savings to be made...

Greenstar: 199
    Doheny: 300
    CountryClean: 317

All the above compares "like with like", 240L waste bin and 240L recycle bin collected fortnightly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm with Greenstar only because my family recommended them. Never really delved into the money difference but that is some difference. Fair play :)

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thanks for that Benny - I'm paying monthly with Country Clean, but don't mind having to pay up front with Greenstar - in fairness, €100 is €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Spocker wrote: »
    Thanks for that Benny - I'm paying monthly with Country Clean, but don't mind having to pay up front with Greenstar - in fairness, €100 is €100

You can pay monthly as well with greenstar AFAIK.. Think you might have to pay a certain portion up front and then you can spread the remainder over the year, worth asking them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Greenstar also accept bottles in their recycling, making them the choice collection company of the bottled lager swilling plebeian and the claret aficionado alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im with greenstar, pay per lift. €2.70 per lift for a 240L recycling, €7.80 per lift for 120L refuse. Plus €10 euro a month. Works out pretty good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

That doesn't seem to add up all that great when compared with the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It does when you dont produce much rubbish. i might only get one of each every 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I live out in the sticks and would have to pull my bin a quarter mile before paying for the privilege of rubbish collection. So I recycle as much as possible: bottles to bottle bank, organic waste to composter etc.
    The rest I either bring to Dublin (where I am quite often) where I can recycle all plastic and paper for free, OR I use the big bin machine behind the petrol station on the waterford road which costs a fiver for 2 full black bin bags. Works out less than 100 per year if I don't go up to our nations capitol and pretty much free if I do. I obviously don't go up to Dublin just for recycling, just if I'm up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Incredible savings to be had if you invest in some fire lighters and a box of matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ft9 wrote: »
    Incredible savings to be had if you invest in some fire lighters and a box of matches.

You may end up with a fine though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah, could end up costing you and arm and a leg or 2... I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Its that time of year when lots of us are faced with paying for the next 12 months refuse collection. I did some shopping around today & said I'd share my findings with you boardsies! There are significant savings to be made...

Greenstar: 199

That's for new customers only, I rang them about it and they told me to ring back on Friday and they might be able to do a better price. At the moment I'm on €25 per month or €300 per year.

I'm not going to gain much by switching and the bottle collecting is handy.

Greenstar Promo

Great offer if you are thinking of switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

You may end up with a fine though.

Not at all! The Greens are gone, those days are over my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

signed up to them monday night for the year 199 yoyo. no email confirmation of th money going through - it is gone from my account though. rang today and was told it was because of a backlog. anybody else sign up and in simliar position?

signed up to them monday night for the year 199 yoyo. no email confirmation of th money going through - it is gone from my account though. rang today and was told it was because of a backlog. anybody else sign up and in simliar position?

I signed up last week and the bins arrived today...

FYI: I told countryclean this morning I wouldn't be renewing for 2012 & they offered to (almost) match the greenstar offer... Worth knowing people, its a buyers market so don't be afraid to play hardball!!

did you sign up online? just slightly worried re lack of receipt for transfer of money

did you sign up online? just slightly worried re lack of receipt for transfer of money

No, I did it over the phone.. If my experience is anything to go by you're bins should arrive in the next few days, I'd say they're busy with new customers signing up for this deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Rang up yesterday re offer. I was told the offer had expired!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

The offer seems to still be online although they will prob come back and try cancel. one of the terms and conditions states the price is whatever it is on the day,

Alternatively try ringing your current provider and tell them you are cancelling. As a previous poster said one provider offered to match the greenstar offer

sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Dymo wrote: »
    That's for new customers only, I rang them about it and they told me to ring back on Friday and they might be able to do a better price. At the moment I'm on €25 per month or €300 per year.

Give them notice on your present arrangement and then go back as a new customer.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Had previously put in for a callback request early last week, but had heard nothing by Friday.

After seeing corcadorcha's post about the offer expiring, decided to chance my arm and signed up and paid the full €199 by Laser via the website on Saturday night (it hasn't even hit my account yet); lo and behold the two bins were waiting for me in my drive when I got home today - so the offer hasn't expired yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

im the same, paid on line, bins arrived yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

With Doheny's and paid 199 for the year :)

Autosport wrote: »
    With Doheny's and paid 199 for the year :)

Good stuff! Did you have to put a bit of pressure on them to match greenstars rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Sorted also. Signed up online and bins arrived. Not sure if money taken yet!
    Thanks to all who gave advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Good stuff! Did you have to put a bit of pressure on them to match greenstars rate?

Not at all, only too happy to keep my custom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I looked into Greenstar last year and my understanding is that their low price was an introductory price for the first year and that this would then increase in year 2. Is this still the case?

DerryRed wrote: »
    I looked into Greenstar last year and my understanding is that their low price was an introductory price for the first year and that this would then increase in year 2. Is this still the case?

Yes, this is a one year introductory offer but there is no obligation to sign up next year. My advice is not to look a gift horse in the mouth, take the offer and worry about next year next year! Its very easy to change providers in 2013 if you find a more competitive offer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Greenstar also accept bottles in their recycling, making them the choice collection company of the bottled lager swilling plebeian and the claret aficionado alike.
    R u sure? http://www.greenstar.ie/htm/kilkenny_signup/docs/HomeRecyclingInformationLeaflet.pdf

Re rates, we contacted them as existing customers and e300 is best rate:(

Advertisement