Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet ADSL2+ upgrade issue

• 29-12-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a problem with upgrading my broadband to higher speed with Magnet. I have already tried everything with sales and technical support, but sales tells me I should get in contact with technical support, technical support tells me I should talk with Sales. I am a new customer with Magnet, although in the past I was already with them, I was very satisfied with their service. I recently moved away from a UPC area, so back to the old ADSL, and back to Magnet. My problem is, although I would like to get higher package, sales team does not set it up for me. My current line parameters are:

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 512 / 6.144
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0,00 / 0,00
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 19,5
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,5 / 35,0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 11,5

and I am on Magnet force 8 package with bitstream. When I ordered the broadband, I agreed with one of the sales colleague that first I will order 8 Mbit/sec, and if the line is capable more, we will go to 24 (the line was disabled so we didn't know the parameters). Based on the attenuation and the SNR margin I could get 10-12 Mbit/sec on ADSL2+. I called sales to upgrade, but they told me my line can get max 6 Mbit/sec. I told them that yes, on ADSL1, 6-7 Mbit/sec is the max, but on ADSL2+ I could get 10-12Mbit/sec. They told me they cannot change my line to 24Mbit package because my line is max 6Mbit/sec. I told them that this is not true, this is only because of ADSL1, but they said they cannot do anything, I should call tech support. Tech support said they cannot change the package, I have to call sales, so we play the ping-pong game since days.

Could anybody please advice how could I change my package to ADSL2+? I have already tried everything, but nobody helps me (to tell the truth as I found nobody understands my issue because it is very techy). Was already anybody in the same shoe?

Thank you in advance!

Chriss

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your modem is on the wrong mode, it's on 992.1, it should be on 992.5 for ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Yes, I know that, this is the problem. I tried to sync on ADSL2+, but it is not syncing, the DSLAM is forced on ADSL1 on the other side. This is what I would like to achieve to change that to ADSL2+ there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the DSLAM is forcing that, there's definitely no way to change it from your side. You could raise it with Gary, the Magnet official rep on here.

Thanks Spear. I hope he will read this and he will have an idea. Is there a way to reach him? I tried to PM to him, but I still don't have 25 posts, I cannot PM to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

chriss745 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a problem with upgrading my broadband to higher speed with Magnet. I have already tried everything with sales and technical support, but sales tells me I should get in contact with technical support, technical support tells me I should talk with Sales. I am a new customer with Magnet, although in the past I was already with them, I was very satisfied with their service. I recently moved away from a UPC area, so back to the old ADSL, and back to Magnet. My problem is, although I would like to get higher package, sales team does not set it up for me. My current line parameters are:

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 512 / 6.144
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0,00 / 0,00
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 19,5
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,5 / 35,0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 11,5

and I am on Magnet force 8 package with bitstream. When I ordered the broadband, I agreed with one of the sales colleague that first I will order 8 Mbit/sec, and if the line is capable more, we will go to 24 (the line was disabled so we didn't know the parameters). Based on the attenuation and the SNR margin I could get 10-12 Mbit/sec on ADSL2+. I called sales to upgrade, but they told me my line can get max 6 Mbit/sec. I told them that yes, on ADSL1, 6-7 Mbit/sec is the max, but on ADSL2+ I could get 10-12Mbit/sec. They told me they cannot change my line to 24Mbit package because my line is max 6Mbit/sec. I told them that this is not true, this is only because of ADSL1, but they said they cannot do anything, I should call tech support. Tech support said they cannot change the package, I have to call sales, so we play the ping-pong game since days.

Could anybody please advice how could I change my package to ADSL2+? I have already tried everything, but nobody helps me (to tell the truth as I found nobody understands my issue because it is very techy). Was already anybody in the same shoe?

Thank you in advance!

Chriss

Your output power is already maxed out. What exchange are you on? It looks like you are on a bitstream package. Are you sure Magnet has Line Sharing on your area? Maybe thats the reason why they can't upgrade you as they could be limited to eircom's wholesale line profiles.

If your exchange is not one of Magnets ADSL2+ exchanges then they are limited to what Eircom's systems says ypur line is capable off. I have the feeling that you wont be able to go any higher than 6 mb. However, if your exchange is NGB enabled magnet might be able to upgrade your to this product but that might incurr in a new 12 month contract as is not free for them.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    Your output power is already maxed out. What exchange are you on? It looks like you are on a bitstream package. Are you sure Magnet has Line Sharing on your area? Maybe thats the reason why they can't upgrade you as they could be limited to eircom's wholesale line profiles.

If your exchange is not one of Magnets ADSL2+ exchanges then they are limited to what Eircom's systems says ypur line is capable off. I have the feeling that you wont be able to go any higher than 6 mb. However, if your exchange is NGB enabled magnet might be able to upgrade your to this product but that might incurr in a new 12 month contract as is not free for them.

Good luck!

Thanks Bohrio. I am in Ballincollig where is NGB, and I have friends here who have ADSL2+ with 17Mbit/sec. I know that the exchange has ADSL2+ from outher sources as well:

http://www.strencom.net/contentfiles/File/all_adsl2_and_sdsl_enabled_exchanges_23-12.pdf
    http://www.itcork.ie/index.cfm?page=news&newsId=1033&printview=1

Either Magnet knows that I am on NGB, because on non-NGB area you can buy only "Magnet Swift" package, but now I have "Magnet Force 8", and either their technical support confirmed I am on NGB bitstream.

OK, so the output power maxed out, altough I suppose on ADSL2+ I could get higher speeds. I don't expect 20Mbit/sec or higher, if I would get 10Mbit/sec, I would be already happy. I believe 10Mbit/sec is achievable with these line parameters on ADSL2+.

Thanks Bohrio. I am in Ballincollig where is NGB, and I have friends here who have ADSL2+ with 17Mbit/sec. I know that the exchange has ADSL2+ from outher sources as well:

http://www.strencom.net/contentfiles/File/all_adsl2_and_sdsl_enabled_exchanges_23-12.pdf
    http://www.itcork.ie/index.cfm?page=news&newsId=1033&printview=1

Either Magnet knows that I am on NGB, because on non-NGB area you can buy only "Magnet Swift" package, but now I have "Magnet Force 8", and either their technical support confirmed I am on NGB bitstream.

OK, so the output power maxed out, altough I suppose on ADSL2+ I could get higher speeds. I don't expect 20Mbit/sec or higher, if I would get 10Mbit/sec, I would be already happy. I believe 10Mbit/sec is achievable with these line parameters on ADSL2+.

It will all depend if its on the list. However, the prequal is still 6 mb so I dont think it will be possible bt I could be wrong as it has been a while since I checked their bitstream/ngb products. Only if you were on a LLU exchange you can. I dont know if Magnet have LLU on that exchange, I believe vodafone does.

Eircoms prequal is not based on your attainables but is based on your loop length (more or less) so I can't say for sure it will work, in theory the prequal should be different as I believe it appears different too but I am not 100% sure

What I don't understand in Eircom's prequal that how they can have only one number while on ADSL1 and ADSL2+ the line has usually twice if not more speed difference. How they got 6144 on my line?

On ADSL1 I could get around 7.2Mbit, so I would say 6144 is a good safety limit to avoid connection drops, I would agree with that. But where is the ADSL2+ prequal? If somebody lives 200meter away from exchange, and Eircom pre-qualified him/her line based on ADSL1, he/she will never get 20Mbit because in Eircom's database there is only 8192?

On top of that my line was quite noisy, I could reduce attenuation from 41 to 35 just with in-house line size reducing and with a correct splitter. When Eircom will check again the line stats and update the pre-qualification?

I checked in Eircom's database what it says to my neighbors. Within 50 meters I have one neighbor who is qualified for 10Mbit, and I found some houses, who can get max 3bit. It is ridiculous!

I am coming from Hungary. When you order a DSL subscription there, the technician checks your SNR margin and line attenuation, and you can decide to what speed you would like to go. Everybody is on ADSL2+, because either the provider has less problem on ADSL2+, much reliable then G.992.1 annex A. It is better for everybody. Of course either with ADSL2+ the ISP can force the client to 2Mbit if he/she is only in a 2Mbit package.

So I don't understand at all this "you can get only 6 Mbit" thing. Who decides that and based on what? For me currently seems a random number by Eircom.

I always used that chart for speed calculation and I would say in 95% it is reliable. Based on that I could get 12Mbit/sec. http://surispace.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg

What I don't understand in Eircom's prequal that how they can have only one number while on ADSL1 and ADSL2+ the line has usually twice if not more speed difference. How they got 6144 on my line?

On ADSL1 I could get around 7.2Mbit, so I would say 6144 is a good safety limit to avoid connection drops, I would agree with that. But where is the ADSL2+ prequal? If somebody lives 200meter away from exchange, and Eircom pre-qualified him/her line based on ADSL1, he/she will never get 20Mbit because in Eircom's database there is only 8192?

On top of that my line was quite noisy, I could reduce attenuation from 41 to 35 just with in-house line size reducing and with a correct splitter. When Eircom will check again the line stats and update the pre-qualification?

I checked in Eircom's database what it says to my neighbors. Within 50 meters I have one neighbor who is qualified for 10Mbit, and I found some houses, who can get max 3bit. It is ridiculous!

I am coming from Hungary. When you order a DSL subscription there, the technician checks your SNR margin and line attenuation, and you can decide to what speed you would like to go. Everybody is on ADSL2+, because either the provider has less problem on ADSL2+, much reliable then G.992.1 annex A. It is better for everybody. Of course either with ADSL2+ the ISP can force the client to 2Mbit if he/she is only in a 2Mbit package.

So I don't understand at all this "you can get only 6 Mbit" thing. Who decides that and based on what? For me currently seems a random number by Eircom.

I always used that chart for speed calculation and I would say in 95% it is reliable. Based on that I could get 12Mbit/sec. http://surispace.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg

You should be able to get around 10 mb with your stats, depending on your noise levels might be a bit more. There are many things that could affect your final speed including your internal setup etc. Dont bother looking at your neighbours broadband and compare it to yours, I have seen people testing green for broadband and getting 10 mb and the next door neighbour testing red/no bb available.

Eircom run their prequal on monthly basis (I think is like 3-4 weeks) your prequal might change in a month time but there is no way to guarantee this. Because what you are getting is an eircom wholesale product magnet cannot modify this. Some ISPs including magnet have more control over their line and can adjust their speed to whatever they like, but this only happens when you are on one of their line sharing exchanges. As I said I dont know if magnet has line sharing on that exchange, I know Vodafone has and probably UTV too. But you have started a new contract with Magnet so you are stuck with them and to an eircom wholesale product for at least 1 year.

I believe (i will have to check though) the NGB product prequals differently, but I am not 100% sure.

So if your line is on an NGB exchange they should be able to upgrade you to adsl2+. Just wait for magnet to contact you, they will run a prequal and see if its possible.

Dont bother comparing your line attenuation to graphs and things like that there is no point, trust me.

If magnet are able to upgrade3 you to an NGB product you will be able to get higher speeds, otherwise you are stuck on 6 mb. It is possible that your line doesnt prequal for an NGB product although if you are in that exchange you mentioned you should be ok.

You should be able to get around 10 mb with your stats, depending on your noise levels might be a bit more. There are many things that could affect your final speed including your internal setup etc. Dont bother looking at your neighbours broadband and compare it to yours, I have seen people testing green for broadband and getting 10 mb and the next door neighbour testing red/no bb available.

Eircom run their prequal on monthly basis (I think is like 3-4 weeks) your prequal might change in a month time but there is no way to guarantee this. Because what you are getting is an eircom wholesale product magnet cannot modify this. Some ISPs including magnet have more control over their line and can adjust their speed to whatever they like, but this only happens when you are on one of their line sharing exchanges. As I said I dont know if magnet has line sharing on that exchange, I know Vodafone has and probably UTV too. But you have started a new contract with Magnet so you are stuck with them and to an eircom wholesale product for at least 1 year.

I believe (i will have to check though) the NGB product prequals differently, but I am not 100% sure.

So if your line is on an NGB exchange they should be able to upgrade you to adsl2+. Just wait for magnet to contact you, they will run a prequal and see if its possible.

Dont bother comparing your line attenuation to graphs and things like that there is no point, trust me.

If magnet are able to upgrade3 you to an NGB product you will be able to get higher speeds, otherwise you are stuck on 6 mb. It is possible that your line doesnt prequal for an NGB product although if you are in that exchange you mentioned you should be ok.

Thanks Bohrio for the advice. Yes, I believe that would be the right way what you mentioned, I request 24Mbit package, they are checking if the DSLAM support ADSL2+, if my modem supports ADSL2+, and if both supports, they change the DSLAM side to ADSL2+ from ADSL1. My problem is, and why I opened this thread, because Magnet is not trying at all if I could get ADSL2+, because the sales colleague says there is no ADSL2+ in Ballincollig, so he will not request the upgrade at all. It is ridiculous, because there is ADSL2+ here, and when I ordered the line the other sales colleague either told me there is ADSL2+. When I call technical support they says there is ADSL2+ here as well.

What I will do to try to call them next week, may I will get a different operator (the actual operator suggested the same either). Regaring NGB, I am 100% sure I am connected to the Ballincollig exchange (there is no other telephone exchange nearby, and I traced back the line either). Either Magnet confirmed I am on NGB bitstream ,so I cannot see any problem why they could not upgrade me to ADSL2+.

Happy New Year to all!

• Advertisement

Thanks Bohrio for the advice. Yes, I believe that would be the right way what you mentioned, I request 24Mbit package, they are checking if the DSLAM support ADSL2+, if my modem supports ADSL2+, and if both supports, they change the DSLAM side to ADSL2+ from ADSL1. My problem is, and why I opened this thread, because Magnet is not trying at all if I could get ADSL2+, because the sales colleague says there is no ADSL2+ in Ballincollig, so he will not request the upgrade at all. It is ridiculous, because there is ADSL2+ here, and when I ordered the line the other sales colleague either told me there is ADSL2+. When I call technical support they says there is ADSL2+ here as well.

What I will do to try to call them next week, may I will get a different operator (the actual operator suggested the same either). Regaring NGB, I am 100% sure I am connected to the Ballincollig exchange (there is no other telephone exchange nearby, and I traced back the line either). Either Magnet confirmed I am on NGB bitstream ,so I cannot see any problem why they could not upgrade me to ADSL2+.

Happy New Year to all!

let me know how you get on

happy new year!

let me know how you get on

happy new year!

So, I called them yesterday. After a 15 minutes angry discussion (with a different guy but the same weak tech knowledge) finally he said that although Magnet can order the higher package from Eircom, but 99.9% sure that Eircom will refuse it because my line is no capable for ADSL2+, which is very stupid.

I said no problem, let's do it. So he ordered for me the ADSL2+. If Eircom will refuse it, I will stuck on 6Mbit, but at least I tried.

From the other hand, I don't know how Eircom would like to race with UPC or with the other providers either if on him own network he doesn't provide the maximum speed to everyone what the technology would make possible. From two houses away where I am leaving now there is UPC, where is 100Mbit/sec for the same price, as I pay now for this ridiculous 6Mbit/sec.

I am either coming from UPC area, this ADSL1 game is a joke...

In Hungary, the 80Mbit/sec SYNCHRONOUS fiber powered broadband costs 25 EUR/month, the 15Mbit/sec is free, it is part in the cable TV bundle package. What Eircom does here in Ireland was in the continent 7-10 years ago. This is very very sad, we are in the stone age. :(

So, I called them yesterday. After a 15 minutes angry discussion (with a different guy but the same weak tech knowledge) finally he said that although Magnet can order the higher package from Eircom, but 99.9% sure that Eircom will refuse it because my line is no capable for ADSL2+, which is very stupid.

I said no problem, let's do it. So he ordered for me the ADSL2+. If Eircom will refuse it, I will stuck on 6Mbit, but at least I tried.

From the other hand, I don't know how Eircom would like to race with UPC or with the other providers either if on him own network he doesn't provide the maximum speed to everyone what the technology would make possible. From two houses away where I am leaving now there is UPC, where is 100Mbit/sec for the same price, as I pay now for this ridiculous 6Mbit/sec.

I am either coming from UPC area, this ADSL1 game is a joke...

In Hungary, the 80Mbit/sec SYNCHRONOUS fiber powered broadband costs 25 EUR/month, the 15Mbit/sec is free, it is part in the cable TV bundle package. What Eircom does here in Ireland was in the continent 7-10 years ago. This is very very sad, we are in the stone age. :(

There is little Magnet can do when regards to Eircom wholesale. However is strange when they said your line wont prequal for ADSL2+. I am pretty sure there is a misunderstanding, either you didnt understand him/her or he/she didnt understand you. The prequal will tell you/them right away if your line is capable and if it is then an upgrade just needs to be placed.

Maybe Rory can give you a hand here.

I wouldnt bother comparing Eircom to other ISPs in Europe. They might be a bit behind other countries ISPs but they are not that far behind in general, you are just unluky as you dont have UPC nor FTTH. Your exchange supports ADSL2+ not sure why is not available to you. ADSL2+ is available to most of the country. I have 100 mb fibre broadband with Magnet and is the best I have ever seen, pings to UK take less than 2 ms, so perfect for gamers too.

There is little Magnet can do when regards to Eircom wholesale. However is strange when they said your line wont prequal for ADSL2+. I am pretty sure there is a misunderstanding, either you didnt understand him/her or he/she didnt understand you. The prequal will tell you/them right away if your line is capable and if it is then an upgrade just needs to be placed.

Maybe Rory can give you a hand here.

I wouldnt bother comparing Eircom to other ISPs in Europe. They might be a bit behind other countries ISPs but they are not that far behind in general, you are just unluky as you dont have UPC nor FTTH. Your exchange supports ADSL2+ not sure why is not available to you. ADSL2+ is available to most of the country. I have 100 mb fibre broadband with Magnet and is the best I have ever seen, pings to UK take less than 2 ms, so perfect for gamers too.

They said I cannot get ADSL2+, because my line is capable only for 6Mbit/sec. I told him it is 6Mbit/sec on ADSL1, but he said I am not true, and there is no ADSL2+ in Ballincollig, although 5 minutes later he said there is. Yeah, he didn't understand me, because he had no clue what DSLAM and ADSL2+ means. I asked him to explain me what is ADSL2+. He said this is LLU, and there is no LLU in Ballincollig. When I asked him what's about Eircom wholesale ADSL2+, first he said it doesn't exist at all, later he said I cannot switch to that because this is not available on my line. So NO COMMENT.

You are very lucky that you leave in an area where you have that broadband technology. This is the problem here, you have to leave in an area, where somebody provides good broadband. I recently lived in UPC area, I was very satisfied, but moved within the same town, and there is no UPC anymore, although within 50 meters there is UPC. This is NO COMMENT again. In Hungary, or I would say in general term, it can be Germany, or Austria as well, you can live anywhere, you can get either good or bad broadband, but you have the chance. Either where I mentioned I can get 80Mbit/sec for 25 euro, I can choose between 2-3 different providers. Here I can choose between Eircom and Eircom.

I either called UPC but they said there is no chance to get me connected. It wouldn't be a big deal, only 50 meters, but they don't care. But you know, on the other hand in the end of the year all of the ISPs are crying, that they lost xx and yy customers. With that customer politics I am not suprised???

So, I give it up, I have enough. I will stay on ADSL1 and I will spend more money on other things if Magnet and Eircom don't need it.

Thanks Bohrio!

They said I cannot get ADSL2+, because my line is capable only for 6Mbit/sec. I told him it is 6Mbit/sec on ADSL1, but he said I am not true, and there is no ADSL2+ in Ballincollig, although 5 minutes later he said there is. Yeah, he didn't understand me, because he had no clue what DSLAM and ADSL2+ means. I asked him to explain me what is ADSL2+. He said this is LLU, and there is no LLU in Ballincollig. When I asked him what's about Eircom wholesale ADSL2+, first he said it doesn't exist at all, later he said I cannot switch to that because this is not available on my line. So NO COMMENT.

You are very lucky that you leave in an area where you have that broadband technology. This is the problem here, you have to leave in an area, where somebody provides good broadband. I recently lived in UPC area, I was very satisfied, but moved within the same town, and there is no UPC anymore, although within 50 meters there is UPC. This is NO COMMENT again. In Hungary, or I would say in general term, it can be Germany, or Austria as well, you can live anywhere, you can get either good or bad broadband, but you have the chance. Either where I mentioned I can get 80Mbit/sec for 25 euro, I can choose between 2-3 different providers. Here I can choose between Eircom and Eircom.

I either called UPC but they said there is no chance to get me connected. It wouldn't be a big deal, only 50 meters, but they don't care. But you know, on the other hand in the end of the year all of the ISPs are crying, that they lost xx and yy customers. With that customer politics I am not suprised???

So, I give it up, I have enough. I will stay on ADSL1 and I will spend more money on other things if Magnet and Eircom don't need it.

Thanks Bohrio!

Just one thing Vodafone offers LLU on that exchange although you are probably tight to a contract with magnet now just to let you know for the future.

Just one thing Vodafone offers LLU on that exchange although you are probably tight to a contract with magnet now just to let you know for the future.

Thanks for the advice, yes I have signed with Magnet a year, so I cannot change now, and to tell the truth I would not contract with Vodafone for broadband in these days, I as can hear and see everywhere their service is very low quality. BT was fine, but since Vodafone get them, it is a nightmare.

And to tell the truth I have no problem at all with magnet, it is truly unlimited broadband, good international bandwidth, and reliable. I would like to stay with them, they are the best I think in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's happened here is more of the crude shenanigans that passes as eircom wholesale's prequal. There's two decisions that come into play here. One is that packages of 8 mbps or less are to be supplied with eircom's ADSL1 (regular G.dmt) equipment only. The other is that the max speed eircom thinks a line can handle (when a package is being ordered or set up) is based on distance.

So even if a connection would benefit from being on ADSL2+, and a customer is willing to pay for the up to 24mbps package to get it, eircom will still not allow this because they think the line can't manage more than 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 mbps for example.

How many years now have BT (UK) allowed lines to connect at the highest speed possible (the Max ADSL idea) by adaptively measuring real attained speeds over a period of time by a customer...

What's happened here is more of the crude shenanigans that passes as eircom wholesale's prequal. There's two decisions that come into play here. One is that packages of 8 mbps or less are to be supplied with eircom's ADSL1 (regular G.dmt) equipment only. The other is that the max speed eircom thinks a line can handle (when a package is being ordered or set up) is based on distance.

So even if a connection would benefit from being on ADSL2+, and a customer is willing to pay for the up to 24mbps package to get it, eircom will still not allow this because they think the line can't manage more than 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 mbps for example.

How many years now have BT (UK) allowed lines to connect at the highest speed possible (the Max ADSL idea) by adaptively measuring real attained speeds over a period of time by a customer...

You are totally right. This is why I said Eircom is in the stone age, the same happened in Hungary around 5 years ago, and as you mentioned in UK as well.

They realized that they cannot race with other "advanced" technologies without maxing out ADSL technology, so they changed everywhere to ADSL2+. It was a good idea because it is more reliable than G.DMT and of course on the same line they can provide higher speed thanks to the doubled frequency range.

Hopefully Eircom will realize that either and won't follow this ridiculous policy what they follow now.

Tonight I got a very fair email from Magnet:

"Further to our telephone conversation and your private message on boards.ie pointing me to your posting there, I wanted to take the time to contact you in regard to your line.
    As the correspondence on boards.ie suggested, I can confirm that you are not connected to a Magnet ADSL2+ exchange and as a consequence Magnet are restricted in only being able to offer you the Eircom wholesale service.

As promised I have checked your line and as you will see from the below screenshot your line is not capable of receiving anymore than it is currently receiving and therefore we are unable to increase your service.

I am sorry that this issue has been outstanding for so long, however, I hope this clarifies the issue."

He pasted me the result of the prequal as a screenshot. That proves that Eircom doesn't allow to increase the speed, they say while the line is capable for 7616 Mbit (they don't mention but on ADSL1), 6144 is the maximum speed what I can get. NO COMMENT

It is so close to 8Mbit, so I suppose it I could decrease my attenuation with more 1-2 units, it would hit 8Mbit, and that would trigger at Eircom side the ADSL2+ profile.

Anyhow, thanks for Philip from Magnet to tried that. I will stick on 6Mbit...

Advertisement