Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your TG special

• 29-12-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Ok you're the producer of TG what would you have them do in next years special???

*If it was me i'd send them off to Australia, to drive across the country westcoast to eastcoast via the outback, all three of them in the one 4x4 a toyota, an endurance test for both the car and the presenters.

*I'd devise the route so that they'd go through those rural outposts, where all those ockers (redneck aussies) live, i'd also have them visit those aborigine settlements and a mining town like Kalgoorlie where they can have a go at driving those massive dumper trucks.

*I'd make sure they camp out at night or if needs be stay in a dingy bar/guesthouse.

*A drive past ayers rock would be a must, and have all three climb it.

*They could visit a sheep farm and try they're hand at herding using quad-bikes.

*I would make the final destination Bondi beach in sydney where all three can finally relax with a cold beer surrounded by bikini clad beach babes:)

Maybe the show could be a two parter as 90 mins may be a squeeze for such a long journey.

well what do you think?? any better ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd send them to er Ireland! :p

The challenge would be to transport some symbolic IMF billions from Inishmore to the Dept of Finance in Kildare Street using 3 vehicles that were assembled in Ireland such as a old Fords or Chryslers. When they reach the mainland they would follow the old Galway to Dublin road as far as Athlone and then to The Curragh which they would cross while under fire from the Army and Aircorps then back onto the Motorway at Kilcullen and into Dublin. Along the way they would also have the chance to sample the delights getting lost due to turned signage, and a random tax/insurance Garda checkpoint and the Customs dipping the tank for laundered fuel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd have them try the entertaining section of Long Way Round..

Mongolia and far Eastern Russia, the Road of Bones..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

With the current EU/UK situation, they should take some British cars and go heckle French, German and Italian car producers and/or fans / clubs (effectively an informed tour of BMW, Alfa etc) etc. And end up in Greece offering solution to their problems.

Or Iran. Or North Korea. Or Mongolia. Or get on the motorbikes again - that's way more fun than their cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd have them try the entertaining section of Long Way Round..

Mongolia and far Eastern Russia, the Road of Bones..

Yep, the specials always work well when they're in isolation. The Road of Bones would make for some great viewing.

Sending them to highly populated areas such as Iraq & India just doesn't have the same effect for some reason.

A Pan-Russian Special would be gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One problem with Australia is the sheer size of the place, the huge distances between the interesting bits. Also, Uluru / Ayer's Rock is a very sensitive place to the aborigines, who are trying to ban people climbing it at all, even on foot. Even talking about taking cars up there might get them deported. :eek:

If they're going to do a country, I think South Africa would be good. I used to live there, and think it's a real country of contrasts that has a lot to offer car enthusiasts - especially the KwaZulu-Natal region. I imagine they could start in Durban, head up the coast North Coast highway, inland past Eshowe to the middle of Zululand. Jeremy might get a kick out of historic battlegrounds such as Isandhwana and Rorke's Drift (which holds the record for most Victoria Cross awards to a single regiment after a single battle), and then they can head towards the Drakensberg. I remember that Laingsnek Pass, between Newcastle and Volksrust, is a great driving road, though I read that there are currently roadworks there.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep, the specials always work well when they're in isolation. The Road of Bones would make for some great viewing.

Sending them to highly populated areas such as Iraq & India just doesn't have the same effect for some reason.

A Pan-Russian Special would be gold

A Russian special would be great. I really enjoyed the short segment they had about Soviet cars on the show a few years back. Just imagine it - corrupt officials, dodgy Soviet cars, long train journeys.

So Jeremy Clarkson gets a chance to destroy a Morris Marina ('cos it's a commie car :p), Richard Hammond drives a ZIL or a Moskvitch and James May gets to drive a weird leather covered car-motorcycle hybrid (that I can't remember the name of right now). Or they could showcase the latest cars of what remain from the former state-sponsored manufacturers and abandon them for motorcycles halfway through.

I'd really like to see them do a special in China or Cuba. China will never happen. Cuba would be interesting, and the régime has opened up a bit there so it might not be impossible. There has to be a proper Communist car special imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A Russian special would be great. I really enjoyed the short segment they had about Soviet cars on the show a few years back. Just imagine it - corrupt officials, dodgy Soviet cars, long train journeys.

So Jeremy Clarkson gets a chance to destroy a Morris Marina ('cos it's a commie car :p), Richard Hammond drives a ZIL or a Moskvitch and James May gets to drive a weird leather covered car-motorcycle hybrid (that I can't remember the name of right now). Or they could showcase the latest cars of what remain from the former state-sponsored manufacturers and abandon them for motorcycles halfway through.

I'd really like to see them do a special in China or Cuba. China will never happen. Cuba would be interesting, and the régime has opened up a bit there so it might not be impossible. There has to be a proper Communist car special imo.

To further it, taking a leaf out of the Polar special, the Veyron challenge, & the Norwegian challenge, it would be better if two were paired up & had a different starting point to the other - & a different format of transport for both. Perhaps have them meeting up at set waypoints along the way for gloating/drunk vandalism points :D

Advertisement